AR: DPMS or Del-Ton?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
There are a myriad of different AR's on todays market and a few AR's available local that I am looking at. Two are by DPMS and Del-Ton

Which brand is better or is it a wash? Rifles are M-4 style and in the $700-$800 price range here in CA and legal

Salient points:

Del-Ton is around $800, same as above but with NICE Mag Pull furniture. Seems like a heavier barrel and nicer overall.

Looks like this one: http://www.del-ton.com/DTI_16_Carbine_MOE_Rifle_p/rfth16-moeod.htm

DPMS is around $700, M4 style with flat rail and bayonet lug with Pardus M4 style telescoping stock.

Looks like this one: http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=57

What to do?

Ray_G

Explorer
Obviously the easy answer is "That depends on your application"...but seriously, it does depend a lot on how you see it being shot. If you're carrying it a lot the DPMS may be the way to go b/c you'll save some weight with the pencil barrel over the Del-ton heavy barrel. Some would say the lack of a front sight on the DPMS makes it a better application for optics (depends on what optic you want to go with).

All that being said I'd go with the Del-ton. Heavier barrel is good, Magpul stuff is nice. Fixed front sight is a good part of the backup equation should optics fail/batteries die/etc. Weight falls back to the adage that if it's too heavy...you can grow stronger.

Either way, nice enough entry level gun.
r-
Ray

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
What to do?

Build your own. That way you have a rifle completely customized to your requirements. It isn't rocket-surgery... and you already do everything to your truck, why not your own AR? With what you save from buying a complete rifle OTS you can build a couple.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Dave, i just bought a palmetto state armory upper to go with a psa lower parts kit and JD machine stripped lower. Its all put together and it was a ton of fun to build.

Definetely recommend psa. Great costomer service and prices.

Well, now that you've got that off your chest... which one would YOU buy and why???

;)

Haha, I see, taking out text conversation for the whole community to absorb? lol No problem.

Here's the deal-
RRA makes the best standard lower receiver. Bushmaster puts out fantastic barrels in specific configurations, CMMG puts out a good LPK and the DelTons of the world are great for keeping in the safe and bringing out when you want your buddies to see you bought an off the shelf AR15...

I run an Olympic Arms stripped lower receiver with a Jewel trigger on a Colt LPK. Bushmaster 16" superlight barrel on a LMT F/A bolt/carrier. LMT buffer tube w/ Magpul CTR buttstock, MIAD w/ battery insert, MOE handguard with AFG. Threw on a Surefire M300A, a YHM Stainless Phantom 5.56, EOTech 556.223 w/ FTS 3x Magnifier, and a BlueForceGear 2point adjustable sling.

Light, fast, and dead on target, I often get bored of the excellent accuracy afforded me out to 200m. Anything with further range I run my M14.

The freedom I have is the ability to build it just the way I want it , and doing it multiple times over. I have over 10 years rebuilding my main carbine, and custom building my wife and kid's carbines... :) She says I'm a perfectionist... I explain that's the only way I was able to settle on her... :ylsmoke:

I Edited- besides my wife's an kid's carbines, I've got professional experience building custom weapons for GH County, Pierce County, Tacoma PD, and Lynwood PD... :D

Last edited:
Can you get a POF or LWRC? That's what I'd spend my money on. If they are not in your price range then I'd look closer at the Del Ton and try to find reviews of that one online. DPMS also makes plenty with a heavier barrel. Get the heaviest shortest barrel you can. You won't be losing enough velocity in a gas gun to warrant a longer barrel. The shorter it is the easier it is to carry, and move with. This is the same for all rifles unless your just competing off a bench. What are you going to be using this AR for?

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
Building your own is the way to go. Rock River has the best non-custom trigger you can put in. Any AR that uses mil spec parts will run alright. It's just what fits your needs/ wants.

Right now I have a RRA lower built from a parts kit with a bushmaster barrel on a DPMS upper. Been using the same optics for a while, aimpoint m3 in a cantilever mount in front of a 3x magnifier on a twist off mount.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
There are a myriad of different AR's on todays market and a few AR's available local that I am looking at. Two are by DPMS and Del-Ton

Which brand is better or is it a wash? Rifles are M-4 style and in the $700-$800 price range here in CA and legal

We had a big discussion about this on CO4x4.org just yesterday...

Building your own is the way to go.

Build your own. That way you have a rifle completely customized to your requirements. It isn't rocket-surgery... and you already do everything to your truck, why not your own AR? With what you save from buying a complete rifle OTS you can build a couple.

:iagree::iagree:

Building your own is the way to go.

I built a Del-Ton 2 years ago and love it. Only took me about two hours and I am NOT the most mechanically inclined person in the world!

Here she is:

2010_0227_140817AA.jpg

I went with a mid-length upper (Middie) for two reasons: 1. Longer sight radius (I use iron sights) and 2. longer gas tube = less violent cycling.

As far as components, I haven't checked but I'd be willing to bet that most of the "manufacturers" out there probably only actually build uppers and lower receivers - my guess is that everything else (springs, bolt/carrier, sights, furniture, even barrels) are probably sourced from the open market. Meaning that if you pay top $$ for a "premium" gun you're paying a lot for a name. And as far as the quality of lowers and uppers, I think that as long as they're in spec, they're probably all more or less functionally equal, at least to the extent that any civilian shooter would need.

I got my Del-Ton lower from JSE Surplus for about $90 and the rest of the kid I ordered directly from Del-Ton. I know Del-Ton has a reputation for being a "budget" gun but for my needs it's perfectly adequate. YMMV.

EDITED TO ADD: I should point out that my "kit" included a fully assembled upper, so all I had to "assemble" was the lower receiver and stock.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
If your like me you will regret purchasing either one later on, as you start to upgrade the weapon. Hold out for what you really want, unless this is it, then I say go for the Del-Ton. I like the Magpul stuff.

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
If you ever put together a "Snap-Tite" model, then the AR is second nature. Only tools really needed are a couple punches for the pins and a vise to hold the upper in (in wood blocks if you don't have or buy a clamshell block)

On the "no front sight for DPMS" comment, if you scope it, with any scope over 4 power, you can see the standard front sight anyway to a moot issue.

I've built a few dozen AR's and given the choice between the two, I'd take the Delton. DPMS has had numerous issues with sub par parts, from out of spec dimensions to poor materials.

I'd use Palmetto over either.

robert

Expedition Leader
I've got and built ARs from Del-Ton, DPMS, RRA, PSA and probably a few others. Personally I'd go with Palmetto State Armory, not only because they're a SC company, but because of the quality of their parts. Most of their barrels are FN (which is local to them) and everything is "mil-spec" which is actually a bit of a misnomer but that's another story. For standard triggers, theirs is better out of the box than most I've felt including a couple of so-called target triggers.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I've got and built ARs from Del-Ton, DPMS, RRA, PSA and probably a few others. Personally I'd go with Palmetto State Armory, not only because they're a SC company, but because of the quality of their parts. Most of their barrels are FN (which is local to them) and everything is "mil-spec" which is actually a bit of a misnomer but that's another story. For standard triggers, theirs is better out of the box than most I've felt including a couple of so-called target triggers.

Yup, in all my research it came up as having the most features for the best price...

16" A2 lightweight profile hammer-forged barrel
Forged 7075-T6 A3 upper receiver
Machine Gun Steel (4140? 4150? honestly, I probably couldn't tell the difference)
5.56 Nato Chamber
1 in 7" twist (good for heavier bullets, which I preferred since I might eventually hunt with this rig)
Double-thick Chrome-lined bore and chamber
M4 feedramps
T-marks
"F" stamped front sight block
Standard A2 flashhider
Full auto bolt carrier, Carpenter 158/MPI Bolt

Just to be clear, too, I added the BCG, the standard M16 charging handle, and FDE MOE handguards to my purchase. I've got all MOE stuff on my lower, and I love it. Looking to keep this carbine as light and fast handling as possible. All told it cost about $520.00 out the door, as configured, for the upper, and about $150.00 for the complete lower (which I built from a stripped lower)

Add a few pmags, and a rear sight, and I'm in it for about $750 or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles