Vladivostok to Istanbul (whiteacorn.com)

rblackwell

Adventurer
So when does a journey move from being a plan to an "in progress" expedition.

Nina (my wife) and I are about to start a (long awaited) trip from Vladivostok to Istanbul (via Mongolia, a bunch of Central Asian Republics, and Iran). We hope to be in Istanbul by Christmas of this year.

We got our Russia visas returned to us today March 7th. These are 1 year multi entry business visa. Though they only allow 90 days in Russia every 180 days - much like the Schengen rules in Europe - but never the less are valid for a year. We could conceivably
spend 6 months of the next 12 months in Russia on these visas.

We take our yellow beast to the port of Everett Monday (March 11) to be loaded on a RORO boat that departs for Vladivostok March 20th.

It is supposed to arrive in Vladivostok April 3rd - we will see!

We have arranged with a local shipping agent in Vladivostok to assist with the port and customs formalities. Hope that works out!

So it certainly feels like we are already "in progress"

But from another perspective we have been on this journey since July 2012
when we set out on our 26,000 mile "proving trails" across Canada to the Eastern provinces, back across the US, down the Baja and back to our home in Washington.

Or did it start on the cross Canadian journey when we touched the most Easterly point of North America and started heading west. After all traveling out of Vladivostok we will simply be continuing our westward journey.

We will leave the US at the end of March, spend a few days in Beijing and be in Vladivostok on April 4th. So certainly by the afternoon of April 4th our expedition will definitely be "in progress".

Before we leave the US I will release an update to our website http://whiteacorn.com with a lot more information about our truck and our experience with it to date. Once we hit Vladivostok we will once again try to run a travel diary or journal via (almost) daily posts.

Our proposed route can be found at http://whiteacorn.com/map/rtw#proposed

d67u57

Adventurer
good luck with the next set of travels.

' and Iran) ' : that could be worrisome.

hope i dont hear about your travels on cnn or something :p

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Rob

great to hear back from you! I have been looking into the Russian visa and I would also like to get the same one (1 year business)

Could you share your experience on how to get it?

rblackwell

Adventurer
Christian, What are your plans re russia etc??

We used gotorussia.com. Not cheap $500-600 per person but they seem to know what they are doing - Visa arrived on time - and they had some good advice along the way.
Definitely would use them again. In fact I am going to ask them about hotels with secure parking in some of the larger cities along the way.

Also if you are a US citizen I think there are other options - multiple entry 3 year visa with up to 6 months at a time. Much better than the traditional 1 year/90 day job we got.

Could you move us into the "in progress" section of the sticky "overlander" thread??

d67u57,
Thanks for your wishes.
I also hope you don't hear about us on cnn. However I do not believe that Iran is our biggest potential trouble spot.

Scott Brady

Founder
It is supposed to arrive in Vladivostok April 3rd - we will see!

You will love Vlad. Beautiful city and wonderful people. I can put you in touch with a translator if desired. Polina is fantastic and well connected.

What importer are you using?

Please advise any way we can help. We have recently crossed Russia, including the route to Magadan. Mongolia should be high on your list and I can provide any/all details for taking the northern route across, then back into Russia before you head into the Stans.

We have also done most of the Silk Road, including the Pamir Highway and Wakhan Corridor. Happy to provide details, assistance, GPS tracks - whatever you need.

All the best

rblackwell

Adventurer
Scott
You may remember we spoke briefly at OX12 (we were in the big yellow Mog) - would love to get GPS tracks for the Parmir, the Wakham and the Mongolian route you mentions.

I will email you - that way you wil know how to get the tracks to me

I know Vlad a little (spent 4 days there in Jan 2009 after an interesting boat ride from japan).

We are in contact with Yuri Melnik who we hope will make the port/customs process a little easier.

Thanks for your wishes

chickadee

Adventurer
Rob & Nina, we met down in Baja. I look forward to reading about your adventures. Stay safe in the yellow beast :)
LeeWhay

Scott Brady

Founder
Yuri Melnikov and his assistant Svetlana are excellent. I will look for your email and also provide Polina's contact details- you should contact her, if for any reason but to get the scoop on all the good coffee shops ;)

Wait until you see the new airport. . . Russia is changing fast.

d67u57

Adventurer
cool.

as long as you have not served,worked for gov,or have family and or associates who do,you should be ok.

cant wait for the videos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne