Land Cruiser Photos

prometheus

Menagerist
That is beautiful! More details pleaseeeee.
:drool:

We took a route thru Joshua tree on the way to AZ. It was a great drive and we took some detours while in JT and camped out. One of my favorite parks on CA.

The rig is an often painful and also often satisfying, on going project, with the first 2+ years with the builder in Canada who secured the JDM motor for me, and since last Oct. 2009 its been in my hands. The baseline is there, but seemingly hundreds of fine tweaking and addons since its been in my workshop to get it to operate properly and actually run. Pretty close now to a good state of operation, with the injectors currently being rebuilt.

The highlights on the build are:

• '78 rolling chassis
  • Fiberglas body (not so great with mediocre fit and finish from source, but strong)
  • '95 1HZ turbo diesel engine swap with an intercooler, note scoop on hood
  • H55F tranny
  • 40 series front axel, 70 series rear axel
  • Factory 80 series e-locking front and rear diffs
  • PS, AC (crappy Vintage Air unit needs some definate work)
  • OME suspension
  • Tubular steel skid cage
  • Swing out spare and MFC tray
  • Custom Alpine sound system with a top mounted amp and subwoofer and Blue Tooth enabled for hands free cell phone
  • Dual batteries, with 2nd dedicated to the Warn 8274
  • Dual kill switches
  • 3 Tuffy lock boxes
  • Custom under body aux storage boxes
  • Locking dash box
  • 70 series front seats
  • Suzuki fold up rear seats, all re-covered with marine grade gray vinyl
  • Hard wired LED flashlight with charger
  • Light Force aux lights
  • Headlight and blinker light guards
  • Shackle guards welded on bottom of front bumper
  • Custom made snorkle
  • LED back lit dash cluster
  • Gooseneck hardwired map light
  • Running a Garmin 1690 inside for nav
  • Custom side steps
  • Custom fitted merino wool shearling seat covers for the front seats

She's a very capable vehicle with lots of mods inside and out. More tweaking and fixes as paychecks permit. :coffee:

I've been dreaming of a TLC like this since I was a kid. I'm almost there. :ylsmoke:

Attachments

• 1978-95_1HZJ40_6.jpg
    1978-95_1HZJ40_6.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 1978-95_1HZJ40_7.jpg
    1978-95_1HZJ40_7.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 1978-95_1HZJ40_8.jpg
    1978-95_1HZJ40_8.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

Sawyer

Adventurer

We took a route thru Joshua tree on the way to AZ. It was a great drive and we took some detours while in JT and camped out. One of my favorite parks on CA.

The rig is an often painful and also often satisfying, on going project, with the first 2+ years with the builder in Canada who secured the JDM motor for me, and since last Oct. 2009 its been in my hands. The baseline is there, but seemingly hundreds of fine tweaking and addons since its been in my workshop to get it to operate properly and actually run. Pretty close now to a good state of operation, with the injectors currently being rebuilt.

The highlights on the build are:

• '78 rolling chassis
  • Fiberglas body (not so great with mediocre fit and finish from source, but strong)
  • '95 1HZ turbo diesel engine swap with an intercooler, note scoop on hood
  • H55F tranny
  • 40 series front axel, 70 series rear axel
  • Factory 80 series e-locking front and rear diffs
  • PS, AC (crappy Vintage Air unit needs some definate work)
  • OME suspension
  • Tubular steel skid cage
  • Swing out spare and MFC tray
  • Custom Alpine sound system with a top mounted amp and subwoofer and Blue Tooth enabled for hands free cell phone
  • Dual batteries, with 2nd dedicated to the Warn 8274
  • Dual kill switches
  • 3 Tuffy lock boxes
  • Custom under body aux storage boxes
  • Locking dash box
  • 70 series front seats
  • Suzuki fold up rear seats, all re-covered with marine grade gray vinyl
  • Hard wired LED flashlight with charger
  • Light Force aux lights
  • Headlight and blinker light guards
  • Shackle guards welded on bottom of front bumper
  • Custom made snorkle
  • LED back lit dash cluster
  • Gooseneck hardwired map light
  • Running a Garmin 1690 inside for nav
  • Custom side steps
  • Custom fitted merino wool shearling seat covers for the front seats

She's a very capable vehicle with lots of mods inside and out. More tweaking and fixes as paychecks permit. :coffee:

I've been dreaming of a TLC like this since I was a kid. I'm almost there. :ylsmoke:

Nice looking rig Prometheus!!!!! It is even better in person..... nothing like walking into your shop and seeing it in the doorway...... Welcome to the site!!!

KirkL

Just picked up my first 80 series for $10 K. 97 LX450, 123,000 miles, pretty good shape, no factory lockers. It's going to be a slow build because I'm fresh out of grad school and broke. I do a lot of backpacking and canoeing, so at least in the short-term, this rig will be more designed to get me to jumpoff points for more remote travel on foot or over water. As I get old and arthritis sets in from too many years of rugby, I think I'll try to get it set up as more of an expedition vehicle.

36991_587248362866_45501897_33723526_202101_n.jpg

Short-term wish list - (within the next few weeks)

In-dash navigation/music - (not sure if I'll go with a pre-made solution like Kenwood or Pioneer's double din units, or if I'll try to overcome the weaknesses in those units with a custom made car pc and in-dash touch screen monitor)
Thule or Yakima roof bars and racks (not a huge fan of these, but I see them pop up really cheap on Craigslist, they can serve as a placeholder until I get a better rack)
32" inch AT

Medium-term - (within the next 2-3 years)
2.5" OME Lift
Will probably be content to go with 33"
ARB Winch Bumper with winch
Rear bumper with spare tire carrier
Rock sliders
ARB touring rack for rooftop tent (I'm hoping they bring to market an alloy version of the touring rack)
Rooftop Tent

Long-term - I might want to do a diesel conversion. I remember hearing that Toyota might bring over a 4.5 L Diesel V-8, but I guess they nixed those plans. I don't think that would be an easy conversion, but I wonder if it would fit better than some of the Cummins conversions.
I also want to add ARB Air Lockers (unfortunately, I don't have factory lockers)

Last edited:

LJ_24

Adventurer
Some pics from a while back

Attachments

• DSC06292.JPG
    DSC06292.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC06293.JPG
    DSC06293.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC06375.JPG
    DSC06375.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 92

mph

Expedition Leader
Not the best shot but you get the idea...99 with a few goodies on it. OME, 33s, ARB front, winch, slee sliders, arb front locker, yakima megawarrior, cruise control:) and some other stuff.

Love the ride, etc. Should have bought one years ago!

Attachments

• DSC_0150_00.jpg
    DSC_0150_00.jpg
    819.4 KB · Views: 134

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94