Dealer markup on a new V-Strom?

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Hi all,

I've never purchased a bike new but am considering one later this spring. Currently looking at the Suzuki V-Strom 650.

For those with more experience, what type of markup is there on a new bike? For example, if MSRP is $10k, what's considered a good deal for a cash sale? How much markup is there on a Suzuki?

Thanks,

Pete

camper357

Observer
First, cash/check/finance they get fully paid either way. Second, you need to find what the particular bike is selling for in your region or local area. Dealers in Canada will be purchasing for a different price than in the US. So you need to make an apples to apples comparison. The factory to dealer incentives may also vary depending on your location.

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Refuse to pay a dime over MSRP. In fact, MSRP out the door can be attained especially if the bike is fairly common like a Wee. Any "second sticker" or "dealer assembly" or whatever are pure bull - dont fall for this.

One thing I've learned is that it makes little sense to buy new - bikes depreciate like RV's so a used bike, last years model for instance with low miles, can usually be found for a significant savings. Savings you can use for PPE and farkle.

I'll never buy new again.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Thanks guys.

I normally wouldn't even consider buying a new bike. But I really like the changes for 2012 on the Wee. Here in Canada, this is for an MSRP of $10,899 (Canadian Adventure package is different than USA - as seen incl panniers/top case) and I'm seriously considering it:

DL650EXP-WEB_Trans2.ashx

Good to know they can be had for MSRP all-in. That's what I was thinking would be reasonable.

Pete

I normally wouldn't even consider buying a new bike. But I really like the changes for 2012 on the Wee.

All of which are purely cosmetic. My lighly farkled Wee will beat the pants off any new Wee out there...

Price OTD? I have heard of guys running out the door all in at less than $6.5k USD.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
$6.5k for a 2012? That's an amazing price.

There are some functional changes, at least as far as I understood. New oil cooler and technically a new engine but in reality there are very little changes to it. New rear shock too. Otherwise, yes mostly cosmetic.

In Canada I expect the bike to be at least $1k more than the USA. Oh, and Canadians can get an optional white color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Typos delivered by me.

Cody1771

Explorer
$6.5k is a pretty amazing price, i couldnt afford to bike outright so i needed to look at new bikes to get the financing, i paid 10k for my 11' strom taxes in out the door, including the financing charges (exluding intrest of course). i felt happy leaving with that, and still feel goood about it. i got the "adventure kit" so i got the box's skid plate ect. if i where to do it again i would not have baught the suzuki package, its just a cheap nockoff of the trax stuff with about half the quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles