My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

stioc

Expedition Leader
I found a grill guard off of a 96-99 Pathfinder, it's pretty hefty with 1/4" steel uprights and mounting brackets so I *think* it's made by WAAG (they make push bars for police cars). Unfortunately, it doesn't fit due to the bumper being bigger than the previous model years and will require getting custom brackets made. Before I do that I wanted to see how it would look on the truck and if it's worth it. Surprisingly it actually gives the truck a more finished look even though I'm not a big fan of these things.

4B57AE8E-975C-47E2-93F9-B18FB8CD2F10-8177-0000063BEB30743A.jpg

71B14AAE-1F10-4EAF-B845-8ABA90EAA71C-8177-0000063C8FA20E29.jpg

stioc

Expedition Leader
Oh also, someone asked me about how I mounted the ARB awning, it's just with two angle brackets from Home Depot, pretty straight forward:

8D123B0B-056A-4B76-9872-3539C807D789-8177-000005FDEEF76F85.jpg

mortonm

Expedition Leader
looking good!

I am jealous of all the trails you have close, up here in Canada(especially southern ontario) we have a long drive followed by tones of mud/rocks and trees, or just plaid graded dirt roads

Also a little jealous of the pathfinder, I love my X but I get a little jealous every time I see an R50 rolling down the road, would love that 3.5! Makes think of yours and Allof75's trucks, well put together and functional.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I found a grill guard off of a 96-99 Pathfinder, it's pretty hefty with 1/4" steel uprights and mounting brackets so I *think* it's made by WAAG (they make push bars for police cars). Unfortunately, it doesn't fit due to the bumper being bigger than the previous model years and will require getting custom brackets made. Before I do that I wanted to see how it would look on the truck and if it's worth it. Surprisingly it actually gives the truck a more finished look even though I'm not a big fan of these things.

that one looks quite a bit better and beefier than most

also looks like it would take the brunt of any approach angle miscalculations instead of your bumper cover

stioc

Expedition Leader
looking good!

I am jealous of all the trails you have close, up here in Canada(especially southern ontario) we have a long drive followed by tones of mud/rocks and trees, or just plaid graded dirt roads

Also a little jealous of the pathfinder, I love my X but I get a little jealous every time I see an R50 rolling down the road, would love that 3.5! Makes think of yours and Allof75's trucks, well put together and functional.

Haha, well being car guys we appreciate most cars and trucks for their positives, if I had the room I would have a fleet of cars that most people wouldn't look twice at. Good thing I don't have the room or the time or the funds...it's a blessing in disguise :)

The X's are very capable trucks offroad that's their main forte and the later ones got the 4.0L engine right? along with a nice updated interior too. Did you know they never sold the X's in Japan? They have something called the x-trail there which is like a Honda CRV's cousin.

that one looks quite a bit better and beefier than most

also looks like it would take the brunt of any approach angle miscalculations instead of your bumper cover

Exactly my thoughts, thanks.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
The X's are very capable trucks offroad that's their main forte and the later ones got the 4.0L engine right? along with a nice updated interior too. Did you know they never sold the X's in Japan? They have something called the x-trail there which is like a Honda CRV's cousin.

2005+ have the 4.0L engine, much better power and fuel consumption, really nice engine

In Canada we actually got the first gen Xtrail, my uncle had one a few years ago. They were actually nice little CUVs. Pretty good clearance, were FWD based and had a pretty fuel efficient 4cylinder. No transfer case but they did have a 4WD lock button which would keep all 4 wheels powering. Dont know too much about them otherwise, not bad looking actually. They were replaced with the Rogue in 2007 I believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_X-Trail#First_generation_.282001.E2.80.932007.29

stioc

Expedition Leader
I got the OMEs from Rocky Road (Matt Frisby there). The KYB struts/shocks I sourced online- Amazon.com I think.

stioc

Expedition Leader
How did you get your struts to match the ome lift springs and not end up with a rake?

I also got the optional 'trim packers' along with the springs- they're basically just steel spacers (3/8" I think) that raise the front height just enough to level out the rake (when the rear is unloaded).

stioc

Expedition Leader
How tough of a job was installing the locking hubs? Is it expensive?

If you're used to wrenching on cars it's pretty easy. BTW you don't have to install them, I did it for the gas mileage and to save the CVs before I did the lift but honestly the angles aren't all that severe with the OME lift as people make them out to be. I ran more angles on my previous trucks. I can't remember what I paid exactly but I think they were about $260

Lecoq

Explorer
How was your dealings with RRO? I heard so many horror stories and a friend of mine ordered a few things from there and had major communication issues with them not returning emails and calls. Have they got better?

stioc

Expedition Leader
How was your dealings with RRO? I heard so many horror stories and a friend of mine ordered a few things from there and had major communication issues with them not returning emails and calls. Have they got better?

I too heard the horror stories, but thankfully after I placed my orders with them because personally I've never had any problems. My OME springs were delayed as they don't keep them in stock and the timing was such they had to be shipped from Australia. I got on the horn with ARB USA myself and in the end it turned out that's where the delay was. I also bought my RRO super sliders from Matt and again no issues, they're made to order but they were here in less than the quoted time. Maybe I've been lucky or maybe they've gotten better, I wouldn't hesitate to contact Matt if I need anything else from RRO. If anyone wants Matt's email address PM me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles