TJ Electrical issues! Help!

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Attempted to install a sub woofer in my son's 2000 TJ this evening. Seemingly went according to plan, then his dash guages do not work (they do get light) the dome light does not work, the radio does not work, the woofer of course does not work.

Also the ignition seems to be iffy, like sometimes when you turn the key nothing happens, then when you let off and try again it catches and starts.

Help please. Thanks,

John

Sorry but please tell me this was the one in the center console and it just needed replaced? If that's not the case then I know exactly what's wrong. The Jeep is pissed at you for putting a sub in it. If he wants to go thumping around town get him a Civic.

On a less serious note check the fuses.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Have been through that very discussion with him, but as he has experienced helping me build my jeeps over the years, he knows part of jeeps is to be able to make it your own.

I have checked all fuses and connections I know to find. I was hoping the symptoms described would help someone ID a specific fuse, relay or connection for me.

I'd have to say just look through the manual and check the under the hood relays. There should be one for the accessories just switch it out with a good one. If you still can't find it check the wiring harnesses in behind the dash. If that don't work it's time to beak out the multi-meter and go to work, be sure to use a common ground. A bad ground to the relay can cause this just as easily as no hot wire, but is often over looked.

Have been through that very discussion with him, but as he has experienced helping me build my jeeps over the years, he knows part of jeeps is to be able to make it your own.

I have checked all fuses and connections I know to find. I was hoping the symptoms described would help someone ID a specific fuse, relay or connection for me.

If this is aftermarket, how did you connect the main power for the amplifier to the battery, did you possibly undo/loosen the wiring on the main battery cable? Sounds like nothing is getting enough juice.

67390FE

As Overlandexpeditionspecial questioned, where did you pick off the power for the amplifier? Amplifiers usually draw too much current for standard accessory wiring. It is generally advised to use the accessory power to control a relay, which in turn provides battery power.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. This is an aftermarket subwoofer with a direct connection to the battery, with a specific heavy duty cable. I have a buddy that is tearing into it yesterday and today. He found a fuse (I still don't know where) and that cured the dome light, radio and subwoofer. He also replaced a battery cable. Still have the ignition issue and he is testing today or whenever he can get to it, the clutch switch and the switch in th eingnition itself.

I appreciate all your insights. When I get the full description with all the details, i'll chime back in.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles