newb looking to replace old earthmate pn-20, which way to go...

sweet trav

Adventurer
so I'm looking to update my gps setup, the old pn-20 is ok but the screen is just too small...and there's probably better stuff out there now.

ipad? software?

another version of earthmate pn series? (larger screen)?

laptop? software?

any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
For the longest time I used to use an old handheld Garmin eTrex Legend GPS and waypoints loaded. Worked ok but w/out any kind of built in topo map, it was a rudimentary system at best.

I then upgraded to an Acer netbook with a solid state drive (for off road reliability), Nat Geo state topo software, & a sirfstar III usb gps puck which was mounted inside my rig (home made mount). Very nice and reliable setup although I'm sure the dirt and dust wasn't good for the netbook. Before it broke, I decided to replace it with something more reliable for the long term.

I upgraded that setup to a 16GB wifi iPad 1, Scenic Maps Western US topo maps & a Dual XGPS-150 gps unit mounted using part of my original netbook mount and a RAM locking ipad mount. The gps is sometimes flaky but with finagling (mostly disconnecting/reconnecting several times and maybe a total system shut down/restart), I've usually been able to get it to run. The scenic maps software I like because I don't have to download map quads like some of the other 'fuller featured' software solutions require. I've tried other software solutions as well but all seemed a bit cludgy and difficult to operate.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd go straight to the iPad setup w/ the scenic maps software. No questions asked. I would also immediately switch to a different bluetooth gps if I could confirm others are more reliable.

HTH.

sweet trav

Adventurer
"If I were to do it all over again, I'd go straight to the iPad setup w/ the scenic maps software. No questions asked. I would also immediately switch to a different bluetooth gps if I could confirm others are more reliable."

does the ipad get service "everywhere"? does it depend on the service provider?

thanks for the info on a good setup.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
does the ipad get service "everywhere"? does it depend on the service provider?

thanks for the info on a good setup.

My setup is a wifi iPad with a separate bluetooth gps unit. Not the 3G model so I can't comment on service availability.

What I can say however is that the 3G model does not require a service contract for the GPS to work. This means the gps will not stop working w/out a contract or cellular network availability. That said, I'm not sure if you can still benefit from cell phone triangulation to improve gps accuracy without a cellular contract.

The other problem I see with the internal GPS is it may be more difficult to move the GPS antenna to a better location where it has the best possible un-obstructed view of the sky. At least with a bluetooth unit, you can do that to improve GPS reception.

Unfortunately I haven't seen any direct comparisons between the internal GPS chipset versus any of the Apple approved external GPS units, or a direct comparison between the various (3 IIRC) approved external units. It would also be nice to see a comparison between the approved units and the non-approved top end bluetooth gps devices which are less expensive (~ $30-40 versus $100) of the Apple approved units.

HTH.

Last edited:

Tennmogger

Explorer
I also have the PN-20, and the same complaints about the small screen. It just about fits one eye with sunglasses and regular glasses off. Otherwise this GPS has served me well. You might consider any laptop or netbook as a mobile screen using the same GPS as the sensor. With that, and Delorme TOPO software running you have a big screen GPS.

I am still using TOPO 6 and find it a real PIA to download data to the GPS, but other than that it still works for me. Maybe someone can comment on whether the later versions of TOPO are more user friendly.

theksmith

Explorer
if you want to hike with it ever, you might stick with dedicated hardware. imo the Garmin Montana is the nicest dedicated unit that is still a "real" gps (versus a dumbed-down street unit that may or may not work with topo or even show you lat/long).

if you only want an in-vehicle unit, i think a tablet (Android or iPad) would be an excellent choice.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
if you want to hike with it ever, you might stick with dedicated hardware. imo the Garmin Montana is the nicest dedicated unit that is still a "real" gps (versus a dumbed-down street unit that may or may not work with topo or even show you lat/long).

if you only want an in-vehicle unit, i think a tablet (Android or iPad) would be an excellent choice.

Why limit yourself to just one? ;)
i use an iPod touch as well as a etrex legend for a backup unit. Then there's the delormne atlas & compas I have as well.

RobRed

Explorer
i like that...what's the specifics on your setup?

...noticed your signature...

I think I covered it in the video. There have been some minor changes like iPad2 now and I swapped to a modified Motorola NNTN9275 bracket. I have wheeled hard with this setup and no failures of any kind.

A

agavelvr

RobRed converted me upon seeing his post. I have a first gen Wifi only Ipad. Today, I added a Dual XPGPS150 and the Motion X app...
WOW, nice functionality, sharp looking maps, great in-car navigation. Took me longer to unpack it than to download the app and pair the GPS with the IPAD. Very good bang for the buck IMHO. Looking forward to testing it out on the trail sometime!

A

agavelvr

RobRed converted me upon seeing his post. I have a first gen Wifi only Ipad. Today, I added a Dual XPGPS150 and the Motion X app...
WOW, nice functionality, sharp looking maps, great in-car navigation. Took me longer to unpack it than to download the app and pair the GPS with the IPAD. Very good bang for the buck IMHO. Looking forward to testing it out on the trail sometime!

Finally got some time on the trail with this setup. Amazing. The Dual XPGPS 150 came with a silicone like holder intended on keeping the unit on the dash. I was leary about its ability to hold the gps on a rough trail...wow, I was wrong. I didn't move an inch while we bounced around corregated, rutted roads today.

Unfortunatley, the same can not be said for the Joy Factory mount that I tried out. It looked so promissing and well crafted. Taking a hard right turn on pavement results in the IPAD doing a leaning tower of Pisa impression. It is a total failure for offroad applications, had to wrap some towels around the base to keep it from moving too much. I'm emailing the manufacture to see if I did something wrong, but my guess is that it is intended for smooth roads only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles