Disabled Explorers Sportsmobile 4wd Wheelchair Accessible Van Build

TexGX

Explorer
Lance,

I am planning on stopping by Sportsmobile tomorrow. I will try and take some pic if I can.

TexGX

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
fresno1stvisit-19.jpg

Time to start showing pictures of the actual build and talk more about the bits going into the rig and the process behind the scenes. This project would have been near impossible without the help of everyone at Sportsmobile West and all the companies we are working with. Everyone is excited about the project and while SEMA will be a cool debut it will be the first disabled guy behind the wheel that will really make it all worthwhile (well the first after my 1 legged self).

fresno1stvisit-2.jpg

fresno1stvisit-3.jpg

fresno1stvisit-1.jpg

When you arrive at the Sportsmobile West Factory it lightens your soul to see some of the rigs the guys in the shop drive. Nothing like knowing the guys building your rig also camp, wheel and explore. I was impressed talking with many of the guys about how much they dig their job, like the rigs they build and are not at all jealous of the folks that buy them. It was cool to hear the laughing in the background as that is a good sign of a quality crew.

fresno1stvisit-5.jpg

Monday morning brought a gathering of the minds to make sure the project was on track and everyone knew about changes, progress and what parts were pending. It was cool to play fly on the wall and it made me feel better that my money was well spent. I figure since I am putting over 60% of the money into this project knowing SMB wants to get it right really helps me get through those overtime shifts.

Last edited:

1leglance

fresno1stvisit-4.jpg

While the shop guys were meeting I was listening and poking my head around. I knew a van had the engine "right there" but you just can't believe it till you see it. This is one reason why investing in extra sound and heat shielding really pays off. Living in the desert southwest there is enough heat from the Sun without adding the engine and turbo to the mix.

fresno1stvisit-6.jpg

fresno1stvisit-7.jpg

It didn't take long for the real excitement to start. For the guys this is an everyday thing. Chopping a huge hole in the roof is just part of the job. For me this was the point of no return. This is why you have to pay for the van before the crazy stuff starts. I was impressed by the time they spent measuring and marking before they cut, even though they do it over and over again. I tried to think of any use for the old roof panels that would be fun and worth the trouble, but I couldn't so away they went.

Last edited:

1leglance

fresno1stvisit-9.jpg

fresno1stvisit-15.jpg

The side windows are measured and cut just like the roof. This is another area where you can make custom changes. Of course the SMB West guys have seen and tried it all so if they tell you something isn't a good idea, make sure you listen. They also think about things I didn't like light on the counter top, ventilation, dust entering, night time viewing from outside (peeping toms stuff) and more. My primary concern is that the drivers side large window provide a good view for someone who has to stay in their wheelchair secured in that location.

fresno1stvisit-10.jpg

While work was going on topside I crawled under the rig to look at some of the 4wd parts and other goodies hidden away. The first thing you notice is the massive Dynatrac Pro Rock 60 front axle. This thing is solid and everything I have heard says it handles the SMB's weight without any trouble. Seeing the ARB locker air hose coming out of the top was a cool thing also. I can't wait to feel that puppy engage and get us out of a pickle. For me the best way out of a recovery situation is to not get stuck in the first place. By choosing high quality parts and things like a front locker I figure we are well on our way.

fresno1stvisit-11.jpg

fresno1stvisit-8.jpg

Speaking of ARB parts there are a few that are special order just for these rigs. The shocks are big and beefy which you would expect on a 9000lb + rig but the Dakar springs really impressed me. These were stacking up since SMB West has to order them custom made in large lots and the heavy duty design really seems to be working well over the years now. Having dealt with Gross Vehicle Weight overloading issues on my last rig I am glad to see such large, heavy parts going into this one.

Last edited:

1leglance

fresno1stvisit-17.jpg

Another pile of parts that caught my eye was this stack of Transfer Flow custom tanks. I am grateful for the 46 gallon capacity and Transfer Flow has been around so long I don't have to worry about a cheap tank leaking or cracking in the field. One thing that struck me while looking at all the inventory SMB has to maintain either due to special order requirements or just to meet the variety they offer is that people don't think about all these things when they complain about the price of a Sportsmobile. Personally having owned a business in the past I know that the cost of the final product reflects more than what you see. Sure a guy in his driveway can build something cheaper, but he will usually take longer, have trouble sourcing the parts, have to change his plans to match either his skills or what he can find, risk injury, buy a ton of tools, maybe put up with a Home Owners Assoc or family that grows to hate the project and so much more. For me the planning was the most fun, and watching the guys work reminds me just how much of this I wouldn't have a clue how to do right. Watch for more updates from this trip to the factory soon.

Last edited:

rcm89

I'm a little late to this thread, but have a look at my van, 02 SMB Q4x4 built by SMB Texas with a Braun Millenium lift in it. I've had it 7 years tomorrow [!] and have put 90k miles on it everywhere from Key West to Prudhoe Bay. http://www.volente.us/Van/

Paul and Kevin at SMB Texas were and are great to work with, and I'm sure Alan, Liz and the gang at SMB West will take care of you too.

Any questions I can answer just ask. A couple years ago we did a "remodel" to take out the little-used shower, shift the fridge/sofa back a couple feet to make more room behind the drivers seat for wheelchair storage, and that's not reflected in the pics.

Ron

1leglance

Ron I like your setup and it would be great to hear more about your travels with the van and what it is like going to remote areas as a chair user.

1leglance

2ndfresnovisit-11.jpg

Now that I am back from my 2nd visit to the Sportsmobile West factory it is time for an update on the W.A.V.E.'s progress. The Wheelchair Accessible Van for Expeditions is coming along nicely and while we have made a few changes, the overall result will be amazing. Working with everyone at SMB West has been beyond fun, from Alan the owner to Jonathan the Sales Manager down to the guys who are twisting the bolts, everyone has been excited about this project and is always watching for new creative solutions. These are very much hand built rigs and the shop guys know that people depend on them when out in remote areas, no shortcuts or half baked quality.

2ndfresnovisit-2.jpg

layouteb70.jpg

Ok now for some juicy pictures and details. It was beyond cool to walk into the factory and see how much progress has been made on the W.A.V.E, normally these builds take around 12 weeks but we started this project 2 weeks behind schedule and that didn't count the extra time for the mobility equipment install (about 1 week). The custom layout looks like it will provide a few cool features for the disabled user. In the picture above the drivers side buildout is for the guacho which faces the the cabinets, this will allow a person to scoot along the gaucho to the sink, the counter top with portable stove and the fridge, along with the storage under the sink. This will also allow a person who doesn't want to exit the vehicle to just enjoy the view out the back doors (of course the rear swingouts will have to be opened up first). Under the gaucho is easy access to the the fresh water tank, inverter, aux air conditioning, fuse block, and the shower hose connection.

2ndfresnovisit-3.jpg

2ndfresnovisit-4.jpg

Another cool feature I like is the massive under floor storage. This will be accessible for someone sitting on the gaucho (well maybe laying down to reach in) or from outside with the back doors open. I opted for the XL size space as a great use of where the factory spare was located. This will prove to be an excellent space for heavy recovery gear, spare parts and such.

2ndfresnovisit-8.jpg

Advance Adapters, the makers of the Atlas II Transfer case, offered not only their seriously tough case but also a remote shifter kit if we needed it. However there just aren't that many places to install the shift levers so instead Ebert the 4x4 guru there at SMB West moved the levers out from the seat a bit and then cut & threaded them. This will give anyone using the B&D power transfer base more room to rotate without hitting their feet on the shift levers.

Last edited:

1leglance

2ndfresnovisit-9.jpg

By now you might be wondering why I started this segment with a close up of a National Luna fridge control panel. It has alot to do with how these projects go, things started with the idea that a regular RV style fridge which is floor level and would open sideways into a wheelchair or cause someone to bend over which is tough on those with balance issues. ARB was gracious enough to donate one of their new top opening fridges as seen in this picture.
fridgelowerright.jpg

However what we found was the curve of the van wall meant the fridge couldn't open all the way. The concept was sound but the devil is always in the details. So while we are very grateful for the support of ARB the search was on for a fridge that was top opening but side to side vs lengthways. Lucky for Disabled Explorers we have made some great friends out in the overland world, one of those is Equipt Expedition Outfitters who are the importers for National Luna Fridges (along with Eez-Awn roof tents and Frontrunner racks). Any of you who are Overland Jounal readers will remember that National Luna won the Editors Choice Award.
2ndfresnovisit-10.jpg

As you can see in this pic the National Luna comes from the factory setup perfect for our needs. The door can be made to open from either side or lengthways depending on your need. For us the display is in an excellent position to be visible to the driver or when someone is sitting in the gaucho.
2ndfresnovisit-11.jpg

This is the control panel and you can see some of the cool features those South Africans build into the fridge, from a selectable low voltage shutoff to the fast cool down mode and the digital temp setting. The stainless steel body should hold up to anything I can think of and the polished interior will clean up nicely for years to come. National Luna does make a split interior model in the Weekender line which I would recommend to someone who needs a freezer and a fridge in the same unit. I am looking forward to using this unit over the years to come and our first trip in the rig to Baja with Overland Training at the end of November.

The last big change isn't one that can be captured in pictures, instead it was a change in design and I have to commend the guys in the shop for not always doing as the customer ask. From the start we knew that storage space would be limited due to the need for an open floorplan for wheelchair users. However on this visit it really struck us just how limited the storage would be. I was ready to just live with that but the shop guys weren't satisified to listen to me, instead we huddled up and tossed around ideas from moving windows to eliminating windows, upper cabinet positions, bed placement, they just kept at it until we came up with a solution that wasn't even on the order sheet. They will custom craft the upper bed to include storage cabinets on each side towards the back and we are changing from long slider upper windows towards the rear to smaller windows towards the front (depending on what can be sourced). It was really impressive to watch these guys take something I told them I could live with and chew it over until the best possible solution presented itself.

The next pics should come from the final days before SEMA and at the show itself. As I type this Nor-cal mobility is installing the Braun wheelchair lift,B&D power transfer drivers seat base and the Sure Grip hand controls. Then the W.A.V.E will go back to Sportsmobile West for the final touches before SEMA.

If you want to read more or check out the other things we are up to just click here to visit our website.

Last edited:

1leglance

Bit o' honesty here...I am scared crapless about this rig...
Even with a 1/3 of the cost covered by sponsors it is still a ton of money.
What if I missed something that makes it less than useful to wheelchair guys?
What if I roll it because I am not used to driving the "Sports Majal" (that is the nickname from Tat at Offroad Trail Tools)?
What if hardly any disabled want to go out and play?
Will I grow to hate the design since it isn't what I want but instead what is best for the widest range of people?
I like blue rigs anyway :)

It is amazing the thoughts that can run through your head, this is a huge investment in Disabled Explorers and I hope it pays off with tons of chances for disabled folks to take day trips & overnighters. I hope I can afford to both work the overtime to pay for it and have the time to play with it.

Yeah I am excited to actually see the W.A.V.E. on the trail, but I am also scared of what I haven't seen or thought about.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Lance,

Did you do any market research prior to pulling the trigger? Do you have a plan for marketing the capabilities and offerings of D.A? It seems like there is a demand for this, but you'll want to make sure you are getting the name out there, and advertising with the right people. Are you going to be tied in with other non-profits? Are there additional tax benefits to your business model?? These are all questions that either should already be answered, or answered very soon.

Spence

1leglance

Hey Spence,
You are a sharp pencil my friend :)
Our market research was the response we had with the FJ Cruiser and how many times I had to turn down someone who wanted to get outdoors but couldn't work with the limitations of that rig.

As for getting the word out, well this forum along with many other 4wd-centric ones, disablilty forums, diesel forums, rv forums, and such along with our website, shows such as SEMA, Overland Expo, Outdoor Expo, Sportsman's Expo's, Mobility shows and such will get the public in touch with the rig.
Then there are the magazine articles in the offroad, travel and disabled markets. I love to write and want to improve, but I am not against finding another disabled person who loves to write more and making that their forte.

I am now working with a number of other non-profits from Wounded Warrior to ABIL (Arizona Bridge to Independent Living) to Spinal Cord Assoc's and anyone else I can find.

It will be interesting to see the results of having this resource aval as I need to balance encouraging folks to get their own setups (and not becoming a full time tour guide) against those who can't afford to outfit a rig and just want an experience once or twice a year.

Tons of work but as the old saying goes "if it makes a difference it is worth it".

Of course we haven't even started to touch on the relationship of marketing for the sponsors and such. That is a thread all it's own :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier