VANifornication!

SoCalChaos

Observer
Hi Guys/Gals,

I've been lurking here for a couple years now but only recently registered when I became more intent on getting/building one of these 4wd Camper Vans!
Fell head over heels in LOVE with the Sportsmobile Lopes55 Sprinter when I first laid my eyes on one.
When researching about the Lopes55 Sprinter Van I stumbled across the 4x4 Vans and that was it... I had to have one.
But the cost of new Sportsmobile or even a used one was out of my price range.

I started following a few build threads on the board and thought a phased build approach would suit my budget and financial position.
So finally thinking it was the right time, I start searching for a Ford Van. Lucky for me, my neighbor and good friend who is around 4x4 trucks, jeeps, vans all day working at 4 Wheel Parts in SoCal advised me on what to look for...

3 weeks later this is what I came home with - quick picture with my iPhone... will get better pics later with regular camera.
Vanifornication.jpg

97 E350 EB
7.3l w/210k miles
very clean inside.
and my buddy says it runs great.

Intent is to build my ultimate mountain bike road trip - shuttle vehicle.
Need to get this done before my summer road trip to Downieville/Northstar/Mammoth trip.
Hopefully still have the time and funds to make a trip up to Whistler BC in the early fall.

-Rodel

Last edited:

SoCalChaos

Observer
Thanks Chris!

though I'm happy with my purchase, it's a slider I was looking for barn doors because of the slider/wheel clearance issue... but it was more important to find a clean, good running diesel first and foremost.

has anyone asked you to come up with a solution to this problem? we definitely need one!
I've read about the Quadvan solution but he won't do another after spending all day on a conversion he believe would be a couple hours...
that's too bad!

more pics...
IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Nice van... and Whistler for Mountain Biking rocks. That thing will be awesome for hauling you, your stuff and for a place to crash. Diesel ******!!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I've played with the sliding door extension, it's not easy. I got right to the point of cutting the door up, and I stopped. Didn't want to experiment with someone else's door! There are a few ways to help the clearance issue (wheel backspacing, tire size, even some lower door trimming)

I built my van around trips to Mammoth too. I miss that place!!!!

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Great find!

That is a very clean van for it's age! Have fun lugging all those bench seats out. They are heavy! What's the van plan? Lift, wheels, tires, interior? Will it have permanant camping solutions, ala, Sportsmobiles, or will it be more flexible. How many people does it need to accomodate? These are the things we need to know! :coffeedrink:

As far as the slider goes... my opinion is build the rig the way you want it. The slider will open, just not all the way before it hits the tire. If you have a large family that needs to pile in and out, then that may be an issue. But, if it's just you, or you and another, then I think it will be fine. It won't lock back, but I don't see you camping with the front end facing down a hill. We have a saying in my line of work, "Never let the tool dictate the tactic." In your case, don't build the rig around the slider.

And...Have mucho fun wilst doing it!

Brad

SoCalChaos

Observer
That is a very clean van for it's age! Have fun lugging all those bench seats out. They are heavy! What's the van plan? Lift, wheels, tires, interior? Will it have permanant camping solutions, ala, Sportsmobiles, or will it be more flexible. How many people does it need to accomodate? These are the things we need to know! :coffeedrink:

As far as the slider goes... my opinion is build the rig the way you want it. The slider will open, just not all the way before it hits the tire. If you have a large family that needs to pile in and out, then that may be an issue. But, if it's just you, or you and another, then I think it will be fine. It won't lock back, but I don't see you camping with the front end facing down a hill. We have a saying in my line of work, "Never let the tool dictate the tactic." In your case, don't build the rig around the slider.

And...Have mucho fun wilst doing it!

Brad

Thanks Brad,
Like your initial plan... reliability and longevity! as well as an immediate plan to swap out the stock stereo system and change out the alarm system.

I've never bought a used vehicle before... so even though seat of pants and a quick visual inspection netted nothing terrible about the van I still want to get it checked out completely. Then comes the lift and 4x4 conversion, wheels and tires. I've already exchanged some emails with Chris/ujoint about proceeding after the van checks out. Hopefully I don't have to spend to much money on the engine getting it checked out - tuned up. I don't trust myself doing stuff like this... After that the interior, this I'm struggling with... so I'm giving myself through the winter and early next spring to really decide.

In the end, i want this to be a versatile road trip vehicle that I can take off road but still be daily driver friendly to take to work if I want.
I'd love to camp out of it, but tenting isn't a problem either if i can't figure out a happy compromise of the space for bike and gear storage.

Anyway.. removed the back 2 rows of seats and threw in my mountain bike and took for it for a more extended drive this weekend to the trail head.
The pick up is decent but it handles like a boat... it definitely needs some suspension mods.
This will definitely be a different driving experience compared to my WRX.

Last edited:

SoCalChaos

Observer
a little updated...
I'll be finalizing my order with ujoint today for a 6" lift.

and I scored this rear Sterling 10.5 axle this weekend on CL!
for $250 I think I got an awesome deal.
IMG_1780.jpg

Will be taking it into RocKrawler's shop over in Temecula to get it refurbished and prepped for a rear axle swap when the ujoint parts are in.

tonga

Observer
Nice looking van! My wife and I bought ours for a mountain bike shuttle and camping rig as well. We go to whistler a few times a summer and gotta say, love the bike park! Personally, I love the look of the lifted full sized vans in whistler with the NorthShoreRack hanging on the back!

Andy

SoCalChaos

Observer
some updates

a few pictures sent over by the shop.

Spring Hangers installed and stitch welded.
front_springHangers.jpg

Front axle installed, just waiting on the correct pitman arm to tie up the front...
front_axle2.jpg

Dual front shock mounts
front_axle3.jpg

Sterling 10.5 being rebuilt w/4.10 and ARB locker
Sterling1.jpg

installing the rear axle
sterling10point5.jpg

grainy pic of the rear skid plate installed.
rear_skidPlate.jpg

and after a few hiccups she's on the ground.
van_profile2.jpg

still a few more things to do... need to plumb and wire OBA, check alignment, replace belt and tensioner, etc...
hoping to have possession by tomorrow afternoon.
:wings:

Last edited:

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Looks fantastic! Can't wait to see it out of the shop. Nice wheel and tire choice. How's the clearance with the sliding door?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Gorgeous!!!!! Nice install, they did a great job. I too want to see it out of the shop, be sure to send some pics!

SoCalChaos

Observer
back home

lift is completed! :wings:

Big thanks to Chris[UJoint] and Terry[RockKrawler] for working with me and answering all my questions.
and the rest of the 4WP Temecula crew/and techs for dealing with my impatiences :D
tried not to be overbearing, but I'm sure I was... Again a big THANKS!

back home from the long drive from the shop.
about a 50mile drive with a ~35 mile mountain pass road over the Santa Anas in Socal [Ortega HWY]
f0abce6e.jpg

UJoint 6" lift and 35s... I really had no idea how BIG these things get! It's a chore to get up in the Van now but so what!
933c20a7.jpg

slider opens up about 2.5 feet.... planning on heading up to Quadvan in Portland, OR to get the slider modified for clearance.
Should be by the end of the month.
f295182b.jpg

Love the way it sits with the lift!
cc1f13ac.jpg

a shot with my other ride
a7baf915.jpg

next is an exhaust and chip/tune

and so on with the interior modification...
Gonna start to rip out the back interior and clean up a bit. Lay down some insulation sound deadening materials and install a set of 2nd row captains chairs I found locally from a newer Econoline. Building up a 3 bike rack out of 1.5in PVC for the back... gotta find a way to secure it down.
With the Limo tint and the Van lifted it'll be tough to see all my mountain bike gear that will in the back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles