The Cameras and Settings That Captured This Year’s Best Photos

dhackney

Expedition Leader
The Cameras and Settings That Captured This Year’s Best Photos

Excerpt:

Every year, Reuters publishes a list of its best photography, and you'll recognise plenty of the 95 iconic images that capture this year's biggest news stories. One keen Redditor, though, wanted to know more—so analyzed the EXIF data of all the images to find out how they were captured.

The result, put together by hallbuzz, is a sorted pool of data which reveals which cameras, lenses, and settings were used by the Reuters photographers to snap the best images of the year. Fortunately Peta Pixel points out that another user, mathiasa, took the data and turned it into a bunch of charts.

http://gizmodo.com/5965080/the-cameras-and-settings-that-captured-this-years-best-photos

Pathfinder

Adventurer
With several of my friends switching to or using Nikon, I loved than ~55% of the images were shot with a Canon body......

Last edited:

loren85022

Explorer
while it's somewhat interesting data, the layout of the info is all but useless. However all the pie charts did make me hungry.

Scott Brady

Founder
Interesting review. I found it helpful. What is most interesting is that Nikon has as much presence as shown. This is certainly due to the excellent bodies they have been producing in recent years.

Scott Brady

Founder
With several of my friends switching to or using Nikon, I loved than ~55% of the images were shot with a Canon body......

Actually, looking at the chart again, I am pretty curtain over 80% of the images were taken with Canon
original.jpg

LR Max

Local Oaf
I was surprised so many were taken with Canon as well. I remember in 2007/2008 everyone couldn't sell their Canon equipment fast enough. Guess they rebounded.

Also this data kinda confirms what I always thought. For the settings I say, "Yeah, I can see that setting".

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Reuters is a canon house. Different media outlets would have different results. And a 6 year old Sony point and shoot having as much presence with photojournalists as a Nikon D3, D3s, D4 etc proves how flawed the sampling is, at least with respects to brands.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Yeah. When DOF and light aren't an issue. A P&S performs very good and is lower profile than a D4 with a 24-70.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier