Budget Skamper Fix/Build

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Looks like someone kept running into the hitch step.... heh

You are pretty observant Dan! haha My shin and hitch step had a battle the last time we were camping. :Wow1: Ill let you figure out who won, so I went to the hardware store the next weekend and grabbed some BRIGHT YELLOW spary paint! :sombrero:

Bender147

Have you had any issues with your screens on your canvas? My canvas is in good shape but a couple of the screens have some tears. I'm currently looking for a low buck solution. I found some screen tape online but I doubt that would work well on this type of screen that flexes repeatedly. If canvas replacement is my only option I'll just leave it as it is and buy a roof top A/C and 2k watt Generac generator instead. So far I've built cabinet doors to cover the furnace and fridge openings for storage, bought a portable propane heater (9k BTU's), installed a new roof vent, and installed torqlift front tie downs. My next two projects are going to be to replace the city water/evacuation drain connections and to build a porch/platform that fits in my receiver hitch. I'm going to put a railing around it with a gate to hold in my excess stuff. I'll also weld up some rear tie downs on the sides(I'm currently using rachet straps to my bumper for the rear tie downs) I may put a detachable swing away bike rack on the back as well. The challenge is going to be to keep everything light enough to move around and install while retaining a high level of strength. Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread, but how did you rig up your awning? I'd like to copy your design.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Have you had any issues with your screens on your canvas? My canvas is in good shape but a couple of the screens have some tears. I'm currently looking for a low buck solution. I found some screen tape online but I doubt that would work well on this type of screen that flexes repeatedly. If canvas replacement is my only option I'll just leave it as it is and buy a roof top A/C and 2k watt Generac generator instead. So far I've built cabinet doors to cover the furnace and fridge openings for storage, bought a portable propane heater (9k BTU's), installed a new roof vent, and installed torqlift front tie downs. My next two projects are going to be to replace the city water/evacuation drain connections and to build a porch/platform that fits in my receiver hitch. I'm going to put a railing around it with a gate to hold in my excess stuff. I'll also weld up some rear tie downs on the sides(I'm currently using rachet straps to my bumper for the rear tie downs) I may put a detachable swing away bike rack on the back as well. The challenge is going to be to keep everything light enough to move around and install while retaining a high level of strength. Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread, but how did you rig up your awning? I'd like to copy your design.

Hey Bender!

No, I have not had any issues with my screens.. Yet.. I would probably try the screen tape first, if that doesn't work, go to a sail sewing shop and get a cost for sewing in new screens. It might be cheaper than you think.

Nice work on your mods. Did you start a thread with picts? Send the link, would like to check it out. I built a swing out bike rack, and love it. Works great. I like not having to take the bikes off to get in and out of the camper! :sombrero:

Yea, weight and strength are always a tough one. Honestly, the awning is very simple. Just a BusDepot awning. I attached some basic hooks to each side of the camper directly below the latches cause I knew there was a structural member there. The awning structural rod just rests in the hooks, and I have some Velcro tape that I wrap around it in case of wind. Next time I have it up Ill take some picts. Copy away! :smiley_drive:

Cheers,
Paul

ToolBox Guy

Adventurer
Please post some pics. Of your bus depot awning mounted up, when you get a chance.
I have the same awning and have not used it yet, because it seems like a pain in the a** to set up for a little shade.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Please post some pics. Of your bus depot awning mounted up, when you get a chance.
I have the same awning and have not used it yet, because it seems like a pain in the a** to set up for a little shade.

ToolBox,
The awning is defiantly a 2 person job. I cannot deny that. But its only a 5 minute 2 person job. I debated this awning for a long time and just coulndt justify shelling out $500+ for something permanant. With that said, since you have it, use it. It gets way easier every time you set up.

This pictures are from my trial run with the awning.
P5010374.jpg

After that trip, I installed small coat hooks right below the latches in each corner. The metal rod then rests right in the hook. To secure it I got some velcro tape I wrap around the rod and hook. Ends up being pretty strong. I installed hooks on either side of the camper so depending on the orientation of where I am camping I can use it on either side.

P5010373.jpg

That is the other corner/leg attachment. Throw some guy lines down if it is breezy and you are good to go.

P5010372.jpg

I like the awning cause the top is reflective and is seems to help. I also like the dome shape so there is no pooling in the rain.

My 2 cents. Hope that helps! :ylsmoke:

Ahh, why not one more shot since I like showing off my rig. :sombrero:

P5220360.jpg

Cheers,
Paul

Last edited:

ToolBox Guy

Adventurer
Sweet. Thanks for the pics.

I also bought the canopy because of the price, budget for sure.
I have set it up a couple of times just to get used to it, I guess I am just not sure how often I will use it.

I have friends in your neck of the woods, Maybe we'll compare rigs when I head that way.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Sweet. Thanks for the pics.

I also bought the canopy because of the price, budget for sure.
I have set it up a couple of times just to get used to it, I guess I am just not sure how often I will use it.

I have friends in your neck of the woods, Maybe we'll compare rigs when I head that way.

Toolbox,
Defiantly hit me up next time you are in my neck of the woods. I would like to check out your rig and exchange some adventure stories! :elkgrin:

Now for a HEATER UPDATE!! :ylsmoke:

Round 2 on taking it apart. Again, it worked, but when I fired it up and made a terrible metal on metal screech. So, I went directly to the fan to look at the electric motor.

2012-01-21_12-05-14_957.jpg

2012-01-21_12-05-08_998.jpg

Crazy part is in that little duct you see near the motor in the above picture, I found another wasp nest! :Wow1: NUTS! So I started to take it apart more....

2012-01-21_12-29-26_842.jpg

This time I dissembled even the electric motor to see if anything need cleaning. Slightly greased up any moving parts/bearings and re assembled.

2012-01-21_12-29-35_521.jpg

Inside of the electric motor was clean as a whistle. So I put everything back together and tested it out.... Fan Starts up and is very quiet. Sweet!

2012-01-22_12-23-31_559.jpg

Last little problem: this air duct which draws the hot air in from the pilot was deteriorating on each end pretty bad and was now too short. Went to 2 hardware stores, and RV parts store with no luck. I finally ended up at Autozone and bought some exhaust tape. I figured it would work on one end to extend the duct a bit... Worked like a charm!! Finally got the heater back in the camper and fired it up for 30 minutes. Its much quieter now and no screeching noise! WHEW! Cheap fix! Only a two beer project! :coffeedrink:

Next project is the get a breaker panel for all the systems similar to what Dan (xdbx) did in his and wire up the fridge to the camper battery which will then need to be wired up to a battery isolator system. Good News is the ole' SKAMPER is pretty much restored after two years!!

Well... That is until I think of another little modification to do.... :chef:

Paul

xdbx

Adventurer
Nice job! Hope you enjoy a few nice warm nights now :)

As a reminder to others, propane attracts insects, particularly nesting ones. When working on stuff like this, whether it be stove, furnace, fridge, etc, if it's exposed, check for nests!

ToolBox Guy

Adventurer
These heaters seem to be problematic, is that true? Only because they are 20+ years old, but are they that good that you leave them in or should you just eliminate the frustration and take them out completely?

I wouldn't know, my Skamper is stripped inside of all appliances, more like a shell model with seating and beds.

For the rare times that I camp when its "Heater Cold" I just take my Mr. Heater Heater Buddy........

Just curious.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
These heaters seem to be problematic, is that true? Only because they are 20+ years old, but are they that good that you leave them in or should you just eliminate the frustration and take them out completely?

I wouldn't know, my Skamper is stripped inside of all appliances, more like a shell model with seating and beds.

For the rare times that I camp when its "Heater Cold" I just take my Mr. Heater Heater Buddy........

Just curious.

Ya know, Im not 100% sure. Overall the heater is simple and looks to be in perfect condition. But sitting for who knows how long collecting dust and getting wasp infested might take its toll. Im not sure if they are "that" good, but it is worth my time taking it apart and figuring it out on a Saturday rather than dropping $300-$400 on a new heater. The nice aspect of a heater like this is it is hooked to a thermostat while the Mr. Buddy Heater is not.

If mine didnt come with one I would have a Mr. Buddy, but I do enjoy a the challenge to get something working again. Ill update my thoughts as I use it more and more.

xbdx said:
Nice job! Hope you enjoy a few nice warm nights now

Thanks!!! :elkgrin:

ToolBox Guy

Adventurer
Yeah, thermostat is a big plus.

I'm just kind of spoiled because if we camp locally, rarely do we need a heater, it was all I could do to actually justify forking out a few bucks on the Heater Buddy.

I haven't personally been there, but I have heard there is a place close to me called Walt's RV that is supposed to be excellent for all types of new, used, and surplus RV parts. I'll let you know if they have anything that is relevant to our Skampers.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Yeah, thermostat is a big plus.

I'm just kind of spoiled because if we camp locally, rarely do we need a heater, it was all I could do to actually justify forking out a few bucks on the Heater Buddy.

I haven't personally been there, but I have heard there is a place close to me called Walt's RV that is supposed to be excellent for all types of new, used, and surplus RV parts. I'll let you know if they have anything that is relevant to our Skampers.

Yea, I agree, were pretty spoiled out here in CA. Not much cold weather to deal with. The ole' heater project was more for the ladies than I though. haha :elkgrin: Keep me posted on the parts. Thanks!

Alright Guys... NEED SOME INPUT/OPINIONS. :victory:

I've been itching to do a little fab work lately. My welder has some dust collecting on it and that is a BAD sign! haha I'm debating a swing out Spare tire rack and 5gallon jerry can holder for the rear bumper. What do you guys thing? Yes? NO? Maybe some good threads on ideas? I've been looking at the stokc bumper and am thinking about just beefing it up a bit and adding the swing out. Its just much less work than building a new bumper from scratch. Saturday projects are much more doable now-a-days than multiple weekend projects. I would then paint everything black afterwards.
Your input is appreciated! :smiley_drive:
Paul

bftank

Explorer
if you use your stock bumper you will need to support underneath it were the hinge rests. espesially if you go all the way across with your arm. fabbing rear bumpers isn't too badd. you can reuse your stock bumper brackets, to make it easier, and you can make your new bumper much more usefull than a stock one could be.

i saw a tire fuel can swing out with a fold down table on the back side on here somewhere always thought that would be a good idea.

JohnnySkamp

Furnace issues '89 skamper 100s

Crew,

I've been eavesdropping on your forum for a month now but I have hit a wall in my skamper project so I'm calling out for help.

Furnace ain't working. Jumpered the thermostat and put 12 volts right to her, nothing. inside the heat exchanger there's a sensor and on either side of the sensor a wire comes out. Those two wires connect
together and are joined by a connector I have never seen before in my whole life. Looks like a wing nut with a hollow center . To top everything off they Are not connected to anything else !! Please assist ! Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles