Getting back in the game again - Shopping for 100-Series (#2)

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Hello all,

As the title to this thread suggests, I’m back in the market for a Cruiser! My wife and I are expecting TWINS this fall, our first children and truly a blessing. This is clearly a life changing event and of course requires a reassessment of our car situation :ylsmoke:.

Currently, when not deployed I daily drive a ’93 Volvo 940 with almost 330,000 miles on it. My wife has a ’01 Saab 9-5 Wagon with about 120,000 miles on the clock. Last year between deployments, I purchased my non-cruiser dream car, a ’96 911 Carrera :smiley_drive:.

The Volvo has been bulletproof reliable and has been in my family since 1996. However, I’m not comfortable putting my newborns in a 20 year old car with that many miles. It was Volvo safe in 1993 not so much now… (See YouTube crash test videos for evidence)

The Saab, well let’s just say it has had it fair share of issues and has been in the shop twice in the last 2 weeks and 3 times in the last 2 months to name a recent few. Yesterday it left my wife stranded in the middle of an intersection. Needless to say, I’m ready to set the Saab on fire and push it off a cliff. I no longer trust its reliability and do not want my wife stranded on the side of the road with two newborns in the car. Further more, the HVAC in the Saab completely died about 1 year ago, leaving no A/C or heat available, which is fine in San Diego for most of the year, but not in the summer which is rapidly approaching. Now that we are having kids this is completely unacceptable. I received a quote to fix this problem and it was easily in the >$1000 range. The latest round of trips to the shop is for some kind of intermittent start and running issue relating to fuel delivery. This car is nickel & diming me to death and maybe worth $3-4K.

The Porsche, it is obviously fairly impractical for twins. It would be fine for me as daily driver going to and from work where I am by myself 99.9% of the time. I still owe some money on this car, but I am by no means underwater on it. Ideally, I would like to keep it for the long haul, meaning you can pry my cold dead fingers off the steering wheel and shifter. It does have a back seat and car seats will fit. However, if the situation becomes untenable, I will sell it to support my family.

We have been living off of one income for the last 3 years while my wife has been attending nursing school. She graduates on May 17th. She will most likely pick up a job and work until impractical for the pregnancy. Following the births, she would most likely resume working 1-3 days a week to stay current.

My Plan:

Short-term – get rid of the Saab as soon as possible. POS needs to go. My wife agrees and will be more than happy driving an LX470. Yes, I’m leaning toward the latte drinking side… The AHC will be a benefit with entry and exit into the vehicle and I’ll still be able to do some moderate wheeling. I have no illusions of adding a ton of mods immediately to this vehicle as it will be a slow and deliberate build with priorities focused elsewhere for the near future. My main priority is a safe, reliable vehicle for my family to travel in together. This is probably a good time to mention that I also have 2 dogs, one of them in the 85lb range. So space is going to be an issue as well. First mod will probably be a roof rack.

Medium-term: Keep the Volvo as DD for me, keep the Porsche (my wife likes it too), buy a 100-series.

Long-term: Sell Volvo, replace with something newer and practical that my wife will drive, I drive the 100, Porsche stays in the garage for those special days. This is assuming I stay in the U.S. (see below).

Other factors: Purchase of a Volvo replacement is contingent upon receipt of orders stating that I will remain in the U.S., otherwise I will hold off on the Volvo replacement. I’m due for orders in the next 12 months and have no clue where I’ll be moving. I could possibly be going overseas in which case I would not take any cars with me and would need to sell. I would keep the 911 and put it in storage. Then buy a car in the country I am assigned and would sell that car prior to returning to the States.

Of course money is a factor in all of these decisions. That is why I’m looking at a multi-stage plan to payoff and acquire new vehicles as funds allow. Am I crazy for thinking that I could possibly hang on to the 911? If I did sell the 911 buying an ’07 100 would be manageable. In reality I’m happy with anything ‘03+.

The mission of the Cruiser – to be a safe reliable daily driver, family hauler, road trip, dog hauler and as time allows camping/adventure vehicle. I intend to keep this vehicle for 10-15 years.

As a previous short-term 100-Series owner (long time ih8mud and ExPo member), I am aware of the differences between model years.

My question to the current owners is this: If you were starting from scratch and looking only at 100s to fulfill the above mission, would you go for an ‘03-05 or an ‘06-07? Given equal mileage and condition and not having driven either at this point, I’m not sure the extra 40hp and $$$ is worth going for an ’06-07. I’m trying to decide if stretching my budget now (without selling the 911) is worth it in the long run to acquire an ’06-07.

I would appreciate any and all advice/opinions/criticism from parents and owners on anything I have touched upon in this thread.

PS – I would post this on ‘Mud, but for some reason due to my current location and IP setup I’m not able to access the site. Thank you for taking the time to read this extremely long post.

BJTLC100

I have 191,000 miles on my 2000 LC. Go for the 2003-2006 year with as low miles as you can find and keep your Porche. I have a BMW 325i in my garage that we drive drive for our other fun car. I think would miss your Porche if you sold it.

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
I've never driven an '06-07, but I've been DD'ing my dad's '04 for the past two weeks and the 5-speed auto is buttery smooth and the engine has plenty of pep. I say this coming out of my Duramax which is a bit heavier, but has 360HP/650LB-FT of torque. I've actually been surprised at how peppy it is for a truck with 185k miles on it.

For your uses, I don't really see the benefits of going with the '06-07 model, particularly if you can keep your financials in check by going with a slightly older model.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Thank you for the input so far. I apologize again for the extremely long post...

I will most likely focus my search for a pristine '03-05 and test drive an '06+ to get a feel for the differences.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I would go 03-04. Ditch the Volvo sooner and DD the 993. Cars were made to drive, not sit in a garage and go out only on odd sundays. Put the Volvo money towards purchase or mods on the 470.

Then go surfing!

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Chuck, Congrats on the twins and welcome back. Is Japan on your dream sheet? Are you waiting till you get a heads up on where you'll be stationed to get a LC. It'll be awful for you to have to sell another cruiser. Congrats again. :ylsmoke:

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Thank you! I believe there is probably a 51% chance I'll end up on the East Coast for at least one year starting in AUG '13. After that I would like to go to Europe (Germany, Italy, England), I'm also considering Singapore. I believe I will most likely jump on a Cruiser at some point this summer on the assumption that I won't make it overseas for at least 2 years, maybe longer. If I do have to sell and move, it will promptly be replaced upon arrival by a nice diesel version!

Right now I'm focusing my search for an '03-04 and keeping my eye on the '05-06s. The wife and I both agree that we want another Pearl White one, so the color has been narrowed down.

I can't get on mud so I'm wondering how the kit for the non-NAV retrofit is going? Anyone know?

The 993 will be driven within 6 hours of my arrival on home soil. Surfing to follow shortly after that. :sombrero: I just left the east coast of Australia and unfortunately due to other commitments was not able to surf.

Last edited:

pfran42

Observer
RobRed is getting closer on the 01-02s. Don't quote me but I think he is shopping harness fabricators in order to control costs. I am not up to speed on the 03-05s but I think we all would have heard something is there were any show-stoppers.

Congrats on getting back in the 100 game. One question, I get the feeling you don't really care about how new your vehicles are so why the focus on 03-05? Interior update? The sweet spot is hovering around 00-02 right now and I see low mileage examples popping up out of the well-to-do burbs all the time at half the price you are looking to spend. The only must-have on my list would be the LATCH system for the kids and I think that started with the 01s. If you get one with right around 100K on the clock and can verify the 90K tune-up, going 10-15 years is going to be child's play.

The high-mileage thread on Mud has yet to find a 100 that has died of natural causes. People are breaching 400K with nothing other than scheduled maintenance.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
PFran,

Thanks for the update on the NAV.

You're right. I'm not too concerned about the year. The newer interior is not a deciding factor for me and I would clearly prefer non-NAV. I'm really only initially leaning toward the '03+ for the 5-spd. Most posts and opinions I have read from people recommend going with the 5-spd because they believe it is that significant of an upgrade. I don't have an opinion between the 4 and 5 spd at this point because I have never driven the 5-spd. In general I prefer the Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) philosophy when it comes to mechanical/electrical items, which is why I want to stay far away from the NAV if at all possible.

I believe you are correct on the LATCH system, '01-02 is what I'd be looking at for the 4-spd 100s. I would not pass up a well cared for '02 if I could find a low mileage example (~100,000 miles) several thousand dollars less than an '03 in similar condition. As I look around online, I'm starting to re-think my initial budget predictions. I may seriously consider spending less now, as I initially was going with the philosophy of purchasing the newest vehicle I can afford in the '03-05 range. If I can make a purchase without taking a loan I would be willing to sacrifice the extra gear in the tranny.

Thanks again for your thoughts. This type of conversation is exactly why I posted this thread. I'm really trying to not make an emotional decision this time around.

pfran42

Observer
PFran,

Thanks for the update on the NAV.

You're right. I'm not too concerned about the year. The newer interior is not a deciding factor for me and I would clearly prefer non-NAV. I'm really only initially leaning toward the '03+ for the 5-spd. Most posts and opinions I have read from people recommend going with the 5-spd because they believe it is that significant of an upgrade. I don't have an opinion between the 4 and 5 spd at this point because I have never driven the 5-spd. In general I prefer the Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) philosophy when it comes to mechanical/electrical items, which is why I want to stay far away from the NAV if at all possible.

I believe you are correct on the LATCH system, '01-02 is what I'd be looking at for the 4-spd 100s. I would not pass up a well cared for '02 if I could find a low mileage example (~100,000 miles) several thousand dollars less than an '03 in similar condition. As I look around online, I'm starting to re-think my initial budget predictions. I may seriously consider spending less now, as I initially was going with the philosophy of purchasing the newest vehicle I can afford in the '03-05 range. If I can make a purchase without taking a loan I would be willing to sacrifice the extra gear in the tranny.

Thanks again for your thoughts. This type of conversation is exactly why I posted this thread. I'm really trying to not make an emotional decision this time around.

I am coming from an '04 545i so I know what good power feels like. My '02 with the 4 speed never feels weak or rough shifting. In fact it is quite the opposite. You had a 100 for a while so I am sure you know what I am talking about. I am sure the 5 speed is smoother and delivers the power a little better but it is never going to pull like a sports car. It think Toyota got it right with the torque numbers. I never go WOT mainly b/c I never need to. If I had to have to the updated console and gauge cluster, I would go '03+ but if the 5 speed was the only reason, i'd skip it and save $10K.

Sawyer

Adventurer
Hey,

I know you already had one, but when you get back from deployment. If you want to check out my 2000 to compare against other years, shoot me a PM.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Hey,

I know you already had one, but when you get back from deployment. If you want to check out my 2000 to compare against other years, shoot me a PM.

Sawyer, thank you for the offer. I appreciate it and may take you up on it at some point over the summer.

Doing a quick AutoTrader search does reveal some significant savings on the '01-02s and there were actually several under 100,000 miles to my surprise. From what I have seen so far the prices appear to be hovering around $20K.

I'm in the middle of the ocean right now, but when I return, the only way to solve this is to do some shopping and test driving. I will also allow my wife to weigh in on the interior aspect as she will be the primary driver at least initially.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne