SoCal Desert Rendezvous Cleanup!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Trasharoo is pleased to announce that we will be putting on a little contest at the SoCal Desert Rendezvous.

When the scout crew went and looked at the site, it was pretty killer and plenty big. But, they noticed quite a bit of shooter trash etc and thought maybe we could do something about it. Along the lines of many clean ups out there, we thought perhaps we could have a contest for most trash recovered from the desert and on saturday evening we could give the winner a prize.

So that's exactly what we're doing and what we're all about. For for whoever picks up the most trash they will receive a FREE TRASHAROO prize pack!!!! :wings:

(Includes a 'Roo Shirt, Trasharoo Bag in any color they choose, Molle license plate holder and some 'Roo decals)

We're stoked to be able to help out and know this will be a great event for all.

While there wasnt as much trash as has been seen at sites like Calico in recent years, there was still enough man made rubbish laying about that we looked at each other and said "Hey, we should do something about this!".

So, we're asking ExPo community members to please bring extra trash bags and pack out more than you pack in!

Big Thanks to Dave and Yosh at Trasharoo for supporting us on this!

Rendezvous Info Here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54407

**EDIT** - Prizes will be awarded by raffle, tickets will be given out saturday afternoon (show your trash for a ticket), one ticket/prize limit per person:

1st Prize donated by Trasharoo: TRASHAROO prize pack!
(Includes a 'Roo Shirt, Trasharoo Bag in any color they choose, Molle license plate holder and some 'Roo decals)

2nd Prize donated by AT Overland: AT Fuel Can Holder!

3rd Prize donated by Sierra Expeditions: ARB Snatch Strap, 24,000 lb capacity

4th Prize donated by Overland Hardware 1 Pair of prototype lockable quick release Pioneer Tool Mounts

I will have some OJ swag to give away as well ;)

The entire Bradshaw Trail area needs some TLC so feel free to collect trash from wherever you find it while exploring the area!!!

Last edited:

poriggity

Explorer
Dave and Yosh... You guys ROCK! I may have to figure out how to get out there just so I can get another trasharoo.. My 8 foot bed of the truck should hold lots of trash!

Michael

Adventurer
"...they noticed quite a bit of shooter trash etc ..."

I'm not a frequent shooter, but I've often cleaned up shooter's trash in the desert -- mostly just because it offends me and leads to public criticisms and closures. One problem I've encountered when picking up shooter's trash is finding duds and misfires (unexploded ordnance, or UXO). UXO is potentially dangerous and not appropriate for landfills. I think most firing ranges have a means for free disposal for UXO, along with all the rest of the trash.

At popular shooting sites, I've sometimes found literally dozens of UXOs of various types. For your effort, you might want to establish a protocol for handling UXO and let people (kids!) know about how you want them to handle (or not handle) it when found. If you decide to collect UXO, take a container that will offer some protection.

One popular target for thoughtless shooters is old TV sets -- which might present other issues.

I think your idea of a clean-up is a good one and is a positive contribution. I'm thinking of joining in!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The idea behind this was to make a positive impact on a location and leave it cleaner than we found it. This way we can keep the Eco Nazi's at bay by showing that offroaders/overlanders can have a positive impact and not a bunch of "hold my beer and watch this" type people.

I would say that everyone should have the idea that whatever they pick up, they will be responsible to haul out and dispose of properly.

Remember folks, this is a non-commercial community driven event so everyone is expected to be self sufficient in every way. :costumed-smiley-007

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Thanks to Scott Brady for such a great forum and to the guys at Overland Journal, Dave at Trasharoo, Mario at AT, and Wil at Sierra Expeditions for supporting the cleanup effort! :bigbossHL:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
**EDIT** - Prizes will be awarded by raffle, tickets will be given out saturday afternoon (show your trash for a ticket), one ticket/prize limit per person:

1st Prize donated by Trasharoo: TRASHAROO prize pack!

2nd Prize donated by AT Overland: AT Fuel Can Holder!

3rd Prize donated by Sierra Expeditions: ARB Snatch Strap, 24,000 lb capacity

4th Prize donated by Overland Hardware 1 Pair of prototype lockable quick release Pioneer Tool Mounts

I will have some OJ swag to give away as well ;)

The entire Bradshaw Trail area needs some TLC so feel free to collect trash from wherever you find it while exploring the area!!!

Last edited:

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
For your effort, you might want to establish a protocol for handling UXO and let people (kids!) know about how you want them to handle (or not handle) it when found.

One popular target for thoughtless shooters is old TV sets -- which might present other issues.

On your first point, I think I'll look in to getting some irrigation flags for those that don't feel comfortable handling old misfired rounds. Stick a flag near the UXO for others to handle. I'm thinking kids/parents.

As to point two, I'll be bringing some screens from my Archeology days in school. I even have a new version in mind.:)

trump

Adventurist
UXO can be a concern.

I will provide some ammo cans and we'll place them in a pit for safe collection. I'll take the UXO back to Camp Pendleton for proper disposal :)

I have a large ammo can sitting here at work that I could bring to help as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles