90 Dodge CTD build(pics)

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Well I found this site while trying to find some bumper ideas and whatnot for my old 1stgen and lurked for about a week reading other build threads and trip reports.

Truck we are starting with is a 90 Dodge std cab, lwb. I have already done a lot of drivtrain upgrades to this truck including a D80 swap and NV4500 swap(It was already in the truck when I got it), Good clutch, and I have already tuned the snot out of the motor. Truck also has a 4" lift and 35"s I have owned it for 4 years and I've sled pulled it for all of those 4 years and I want to slow down on sled pulling it (2.6 class is getting to be a high HP class) I'll still pull it from time to time in the street class.

My plan for my truck is to make it Overland or Expedition worthy but still be able to use it as a truck when I'm not "Out there". So here is the build plan.

Fiberglass Shell and homemade sleeping platform above the wheel wells with some storage underneath and it has to be easily removable. The shell will get a roof rack/basket for more storage on top. I will also buils some custom bumpers for it too. The rear bumper will probly start out as a piece of 8" channel and also have a swing out tire carrier with jerrycan racks. I will also have the usual extraction points. The front bumper I'm still trying to find ideas on, I want a heavy duty bumper but don't care for the "RanchHand" style hamburger maker and frame destroyer. I want somthing kinda like a pre runner style but heavier duty. I also don't want a grillguard, just a small bar coming up in the middle to mount a small lighting array. Thoughts , Opinions, Ideas?

I am currently running 35" Bfg KM2s in the rear and some 315 KO's up front but I don't like the d rating on them and was considering some 255/70/17 KM2s ( I am running 3rd gen forged aluminum wheels currently) But I do have a various selection of 16"ers in the shed. Thoughts , Opinions, Ideas?

The rear suspension is not to my liking either, When I lifted it I ended up stacking blocks and don't care for the axle wrap when I'm not running my traction bars, So I'm planning on doing a shackle flip to retain for the most part the hight I'm at now and get rid of the blocks. I might bring the rear down and inch or two to level it a bit and re work my homemade rear spring packs also. The setup I'm going to use is from DNR Customs out of Michigan. I'll try to find some pics of this setup. Thoughts , Opinions, Ideas?

I have a few other Drivetrain upgrades I want to do also like 35spl outers for the D60 front (technicly a 61), 1410 joint on the pinion side of the front shaft, some good 3/4 turn lockouts, and some sort of lockers front and rear. Recomendations on the lockers would be helpfull. I also have experience in slick conditions with lockers so thats a non issue.

Other plans include an Inverter, On board air and other stuff.

PICTURE TIME:wings:

For the most part how the truck sits now.
partsandchanges007.jpg

partsandchanges008.jpg

Some of the drive train upgrades.

Dana80
partsandchanges017.jpg

NV4500
clutch009.jpg

clutch012.jpg

Clutch thats in the stock Sachs cover
clutch001.jpg

When I pulled A LOT
deansswap013.jpg

deansswap015.jpg

Wahoopics09039.jpg

Wahoopics09040.jpg

Heres a few Videos to keep you guys occupied

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6YkA-6p2hI"]YouTube- Pulltilbroke in the snow[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LonhjgbH7kc&feature=related"]YouTube- Pulltilbroke in the snow[/ame]

Couple pullin vids

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uAH5rEafZw"]YouTube- Pulltilbrokes Heavy hook At Adams[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfXY1o4ZFIs&feature=related"]YouTube- Pulltilbroke 7500 super street/2.6 Wahoo 09[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dfAIDTbpIo&feature=related"]YouTube- Pulltilbroke at saline center(Better quality)[/ame]

And a couple Dyno vids
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az92Bksoq_0"]YouTube- Pulltilbrokes 1st Dyno run[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8vF_5mPcAc&feature=related"]YouTube- Pulltilbrokes 2nd dyno run[/ame]

D

Deleted member 9101

Man, I love the huge inter-cooler... that truck looks like a beast!!

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Thats actually a stock Cooler out of a 2nd gen Cummins truck, I was also able to use all the 2nd gen tubing also when I put that in.

Here is a bumper I really like and will probly build somthing very similar.

bumper.jpg

bdbecker

Adventurer
Nice truck... Hey, I see you have Cass county plates - I'm only a few hours north of you in Vermillion, SD.

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
This last week i did some pump tuning for a friend of mine and in return he gave me an overhead shelf. So this weekend i cleaned it up and got it put in the truck and got a switch panel made and got my CB mounted. The felt was in pretty sad shape on the shelf so i scraped it all off and buffed out the aluminum.

overheadshelf001.jpg

overheadshelf002.jpg

HMalice

255/70/17 is kind of short, bfg does offer a 255/80/17 in the km2 with an e rating, was thinking about getting those for my 2nd gen (have same 3rd gen wheels as you). That or 285/75/17 but tire options are slim.

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Got a killer deal on the Omaha craigslist today. Found a fiberglass topper for free and its a dang nice one with roof crossbars and the whole ball o wax, the only thing is its about a foot short so I think I'm gonna make an aluminum panel that will cover the foot or so of open bed area and make it fold down with the tailgate. I'll still have to figure out some sort of locking mechanism but hey I got the shell for FREE!!!

campershell001.jpg

campershell002.jpg

campershell003.jpg

campershell004.jpg

Rot Box

Explorer
The first gens can take a serious beating, get killer fuel mileage and tow just about anything! Love the 80 and the NV both are great upgrades. I would have kept my 92 5speed forever if it would have had 4 doors.

Nice truck looking forward to your build :sombrero: Btw when you say Dana 61 do you still run 3.07's or did you have to use a ring gear spacer in the front for a lower gearset?

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
And that is why I love this truck:smiley_drive:. I just wish Dodge knew how to wire a truck correctly.

If I were to do the rearend swap again I would probably go with a good old 14 bolt with 3.73s.:coffee:

They used a 61 in all the early or N/IC trucks AFAIK, mine came from the factory with 3.54s because it was originaly a Getrag truck and I believe 90 was the first year for internal hubs on the 60/61 fronts all the older ones had the old Selectro external hubs which are kinda weak.

BTW I love the 35s and 3.54 combo, I got enough grunt down low using 1st and can cruise 70 at 1800rpms.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Explorer
They used a 61 in all the early or N/IC trucks AFAIK, mine came from the factory with 3.54s because it was originaly a Getrag truck and I believe 90 was the first year for internal hubs on the 60/61 fronts all the older ones had the old Selectro external hubs which are kinda weak.

BTW I love the 35s and 3.54 combo, I got enough grunt down low using 1st and can cruise 70 at 1800rpms.

The 61 came in the 89-91 TF727 auto trucks to make up for not having an overdrive. 91.5-93 had an overdrive so they ditched the 61's. My brother put an overdrive trans in his early 91 with the 61's and it idles down the freeway. He can usually pull well over 25mpg with a light foot.

Getrag trucks came with either 3.54 or 4.10's. Mine had the 4.10's with 265's and it was great for pulling and fourwheeling but forget about being in a hurry on the interstate LOL :bike_rider: Early 89's had the Selectro's which are really cool I think, but like you said not as strong as the internal hubs.

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Well got the shell on and covered up the open bed space looks a little odd but oh well I can't complain it was free.Also scored a free mini fridge that might work decent after I get an inverter in there.

campershell001-1.jpg

campershell002-1.jpg

campershell007.jpg

campershell008.jpg

campershell009.jpg

Heres the free fridge I got.
campershell003-1.jpg

campershell005.jpg

lstzephyr

wanderer
That does look a bit strange. But can't argue with free.

If you watch craigslist you could probably find a longbed version eventually. It took me a while but I got one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94