Headlight Replacement

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The Trucklites get my vote for sure, at the moment.
Word is that JW Speaker is releasing an update of their LED headlight ---- I wonder if they'll let me test those...

Here are a few more links about the new Trucklites.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/truck-lites-new-led-headlamp-series-1328314/
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/2012-led-head-lights-133954.html

squint

Adventurer
I bought the IPF Fatboys and they work so much better than stock that I took my offroad lights off and put them on my wife's jeep.

Jorsn

Adventurer
JW Speaker just released a new headlight today called "8700 Evolution". Not too much information on it yet. FB page says you won't have to shave the headlight ring but you'll still need the H4-H13 harness.

KJP

I have had the JW speaker LEDs since last fall in mine - I don't know what model they are but I am very impressed with the amount of light they put out. Very good pattern to the side of the vehicle - lights up the ditches well for those late night critter encounters. They were quite expensive - but I understand that in the last few months they've really dropped in price - I guess more competition now.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
JW Speaker just released a new headlight today called "8700 Evolution". Not too much information on it yet. FB page says you won't have to shave the headlight ring but you'll still need the H4-H13 harness.

there is little bits of more information coming in each day, they should have them available for shipping this coming week. still no word on the prices yet though.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
If you guys like the IPFs, you'd be amazed by Cibies, Hellas, JW Speakers, or (especially) the new TruckLite LEDs. The IPFs were the WORST aftermarket lights I tested and not even legal to run. The Fatboy bulbs are equally illegal and achieve their illusion of "brightness/better performance" by moving the focal position of the filament --- think of a Maglight when you twist the bezel and have more light scattering but can't see better with it. A real high-performance bulb actually will have more lumens, better focus, and that's achieved by a smaller capsule, tighter filament windings, better gasses --- look at the new Phillips HIR1&2 bulbs or the Phillips Xtreme Power series of bulbs for inspiration.

Ryan --- If I can talk JW Speaker into a set of lights, would you volunteer your rig as a test platform? You'd have to come up here and stay 'til after dark one night.
I used Chris for the TruckLites and I don't think he wants to give them up. They set a high benchmark.
Stumpy has the 5x7 TruckLites and they work even better than the 7" round units.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Bill: Dale just put the IPF H4's in his truck. I was about to go the same route, but spent much time reading through your threads. Now I am not sure which route to go.
I'd be game to test a set of the lights if we can make it happen.

Your reports are most amazing and thorough.

Dendy

Ryanc

SE Expedition Society
If you guys like the IPFs, you'd be amazed by Cibies, Hellas, JW Speakers, or (especially) the new TruckLite LEDs. The IPFs were the WORST aftermarket lights I tested and not even legal to run. The Fatboy bulbs are equally illegal and achieve their illusion of "brightness/better performance" by moving the focal position of the filament --- think of a Maglight when you twist the bezel and have more light scattering but can't see better with it. A real high-performance bulb actually will have more lumens, better focus, and that's achieved by a smaller capsule, tighter filament windings, better gasses --- look at the new Phillips HIR1&2 bulbs or the Phillips Xtreme Power series of bulbs for inspiration.

Ryan --- If I can talk JW Speaker into a set of lights, would you volunteer your rig as a test platform? You'd have to come up here and stay 'til after dark one night.
I used Chris for the TruckLites and I don't think he wants to give them up. They set a high benchmark.
Stumpy has the 5x7 TruckLites and they work even better than the 7" round units.

Ill defiinitely volunteer my rig. Just let me know.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Bill: Dale just put the IPF H4's in his truck. I was about to go the same route, but spent much time reading through your threads. Now I am not sure which route to go.
I'd be game to test a set of the lights if we can make it happen.

Your reports are most amazing and thorough.

Dendy
Those things aren't even legal to sell in North America. The only reason that the NHTSA doesn't go after importers is that they don't have the funding. Same for the bootleg HID kits.
They nail LOTS and LOTs of the crap in container ships but the volume is so great that much slips through; customs officials don't have the resources either.

The thing that pisses me off the most about the IPF reflectors (besides the blinding stray light to the sides and lack of light in front) is that they put a phony "E" in a circle on the glass to make them look like legal ECE-compliant lights.
Many of the vendors that sell them think they're legal. Most even think they work well because they confuse being blinded by them for them being bright.

If I score some Speakers to try in Ryan's rig we can give his Hellas to Dale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles