Show me your awning on your taco

GR8ADV

Explorer
Where it's good to learn from your own mistakes, it is GREAT to learn from others mistakes. :) Just curious as to what you might have done. thanks!

Clutch

<---Pass
My first mistake was attaching everything to the truck. One thing I hated when I had my Wildernest, was to tear it down to go do something...realized I don't like being attached to the truck for camping, cooking or whatever, since we ride dirt bikes, we set up a base camp, and when a bike breaks, runs out of fuel what have you, or run to get supplies...go fishing, or simply drive around the area we are in to explore...

...simply drive away. Since everything is set up in the ez-up. Probably anti-expo, but I like the new found freedom not having everything bolted to the truck...

ezup.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Fiamma F35Pro from AT, stowed
pro1.jpg

F35Pro deployed
pro2.jpg

Custom shower enclosure by SLO Sail
pro3.jpg

More details HERE

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Just dont forget about wind... attachment and wind-proofing are critical or awnings can thrash your truck in an instant.

Louisd75

Adventurer
Where did you get that from? I like it. The flip is awesome as well.

Think Dave got it here: http://www.adventuretrailers.com/awningfiamma.html

I went with a small addition to the roof rack tracks on my shell that allow me to quickly attach a tarp like so:

DSCN4108e.jpg

That was the cheap prototype tarp. I've since replaced it with a nicer, more robust tarp. The attachment point uses one of the Yakima pieces that slides into the roof rack track with a long set screw threaded into it. I put a washer over that and then a nylock nut tightened against that to securely hold everything in place.

DSCN4955.jpg

I slip the grommet of the tarp over it and use a wingnut to hold the tarp on. I usually have a couple of poles that I carry to hold it all up, though if I were going to an area with lots of trees I could probably leave them at home.

When I finally get around to installing the threaded pieces on the other side I'll be able to set up the tarp on either side. I'll also make up a small tarp to go over the tailgate area. It'll be like a really poor man's FoxWing :sombrero:

Also, the roof rack and tarp do not interfere with one another.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Not a Taco, but a Toyota nonetheless...

My setup is a ShadyBoy awning. I like the dimensions of the case, and the engineering is exceptional. I bought some ground anchors at Home Depot for tie downs.

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

The weight of the awning including an extruded aluminum case is less than 15 lbs...

Regards,

BWJ

Clutch

<---Pass
^this. Don't own a taco, but this is great advice.

yes, it totally sucked having everything attached...we would go out for a dirt bike ride, and the girlfriend would be stuck at camp...I tell her "don't stay here, go drive around, go fishing, drive into town, or something..."

She would say "naaaaah, I don't want to rip everything down, just to set it up again..."

She does ride, but can't go on the super gnarly stuff I like...so she would be stuck at camp, most of the time...which sucks.

...and lets face it, most of us will never go on an "expedition", basically haul *** up the highway for a day or two...get to a destination stay there for 2 weeks....then go explore the area around that destination...I like riding single track, so most if not all of my trips are based around the dirt bikes. Hell, I am still finding new trails here at home around Tucson.

...an ez-up works great for us. I can get it set up as fast or faster as my Wildernest, which includes guying out an awning. And best of all, after it is set up, I drive away!!!!

That looks like huge pain in the rear-end...

Last edited:

devortex

Adventurer
ARB awning. $149 delivered to the door. Easy to set up and reasonably durable in the wind. I had one on my FJ60 and during a breezy weekend at Pismo Beach it stayed put while others where whipping around and scratching trucks.

2012-05-06_14-26-42_286.jpg

2012-05-06_14-30-46_473.jpg

2012-05-06_14-31-06_84.jpg

austintaco

Explorer
Just dont forget about wind... attachment and wind-proofing are critical or awnings can thrash your truck in an instant.

That's the problem with the EZ ups. I used to use one at the house for shade in nice weather, but I had to take it down when the winds would pick up. My wife parked under it when a Summer storm hit and it scratched the crap out of her new car when it crumpled.

Tacodoc,
Can you move your awning easily from one side of the truck to the other? It looks like it slides into an attachment point.

Clutch

<---Pass
That's the problem with the EZ ups. I used to use one at the house for shade in nice weather, but I had to take it down when the winds would pick up. My wife parked under it when a Summer storm hit and it scratched the crap out of her new car when it crumpled.

Not true with the Eclipse II, buy the professional grade and there is no problem in the wind, if it guyed down properly.

We have it in monsoon storms in the Colorado high country...no problem at all.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online