Ladies: Bathroom breaks on the trail - Please help with ideas and products!

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
! ladies, id like to hear from you!

I'm a lady, and I'm certainly not trying to be harsh or rude, but I say she needs to get over it....this is camping! I think its great that you are trying to find alternatives for her, but if she doesn't even want people to know she is running to the potty then I don't know what to tell you. If you are in mid-trail taking a break, to me it would be less obvious to just sneak off around a tree and do the biz instead of popping up some potty tent and making a big production about it. I personally like the Pett toilet and the boys on the right, girls on the left rule. In camp a nice privy with a Pett inside is great and trust me no one is going to go home and post on their Facebook about how many times your wife went to the bathroom. The only other suggestion I can make is purchase a compact toilet and cram her using it into the back of your 4Runner. I have the same truck as you, it will be a tight fit but I think possible.

My wife and I have been on many trips from overnight to a couple weeks at a time into the back country. For our honeymoon we spent two weeks in our jeep exploring Colorado's back country. I will be as realistic with our experiences as possible. My wife was the same way, but quickly realized that going #1 on the side of a trail for a quick break is really no big deal at all. What makes it tolerable for her is TP, wet wipes, a ziplock bag for the used paper, and hand sanitizer, that is all it basically takes. If she needs real privacy - just go farther off the trail. #2 is a different story as she (and I) much prefer the use of a privy. But when nature calls, a shovel, bag, tp and again hand sanitizer are very effective.

You can go with all sorts of fancy devices, but in the end you are still dealing with the same product - human waste. Asides from a flush toilet there is going to be some level of commitment which requires handling. I would much rather dig a cathole and leave the waste and pack out the paper (regulations permitting) than to haul around some elaborate bag, or container of human waste until i am off the trail. If you are driving somewhere, most likely regulations permit burying human waste. Give it time, and i am sure she will make the small sacrifice of bathroom breaks for the reward of being out in the wilderness.

If you prefer to set up a base camp privy i would recommend the PETT as well and a trasharoo to keep the generated waste outside of the vehicle.

Just my $.02

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
I have a brand new folding toilet - never used but does have some scuffs and marks from banging about in the back of the rig. Whoever wants it - $25. Decided what I like my ladies to have proper hygiene when out swashbuckling on the trails. As such I go camping when i don't invite them, when i do invite them I let them stay in pompous hotels.

-Sam

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Beloved Spouse started overlanding over thirty years ago in Africa. She would suggest that your spouse relax and find a tree. (Granted, this is a challenge in the Sahara!) As the attached image shows, speed can be an advantage.

To be more serious, how do you define "expedition?" If you mean hiking, then, I fear, relax and get over it is the only answer. This book may help: http://www.amazon.com/How-****-Woods-Second-Environmentally/dp/0898156270 (There are chapters especially for ladies.)

If you mean motor camping, then there are all manner of indoor plumbing available. We have always gone with a shovel and a roll, but are looking forward to a Provan Tiger with indoor plumbing. (To be fair, we are over 60!)

Attachments

• AFLAX.jpg
    AFLAX.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
does she know you posted that picture of her online? and what is the big cat thinking about all this?

;) The picture is a Photoshop special that has been going around for years. The cat, like all cats, is thinking of dinner.

Photo of Beloved Spouse back in the day, looking for a tree!
103074603.jpg

Bolson

takin it outdoors

IMHO the best "portable" toilet for outdoor use is the folding US army entrenching tool ( little black shovel where the blade folds 90 deg. to the handle

prop it under one cheek ( folded 90 of course )

grab your favorite magazine

do your thing

bury the evidence

used that thing on many a 4x4 trip and no problems ever ( Wife approved )

images

Last edited:

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
My wife isn't afraid to squat when needed. The only downside is the splashback... hence the need for a funnel type device like posted on page 1. Without making it a huge ordeal every time a lady needs to pee, that's your best bet. Or carry some kinda mini porta-potty.

http://www.rei.com/product/407267/sani-fem-freshette-feminine-urinary-director

This is pretty much the same thing as posted on page one. It's going to be the smallest, most space consuming item for ladies on the trail.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Luggable Loo from REI.

We've used ours for years. I camp with 4 girls (wife and 3 daughters). They love it, use it, and approve it.

Completely changed their outdoors experience, and made it much more relaxing for them knowing they had a place to "go".

Plus, I believe in packing out EVERYTHING that we pack in, other than firewood ashes, and in many state parks, it's a requirement.

Cheers.

kramme

Observer
I use the items below - depending on the situation:
the Travel John (as recommended by seanz0rz)
Go -Girl (recommended by 98roamer)
and have a Pett for in camp with a enclosure for campgrounds that do not have bathrooms (recommend by others).

There were some other great products recommended by others (I like Tacodocs) it may be a experment for her to see what she likes.

Melanie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94