'93 Suburban - Chillin' Out!

TheOtherSide

Observer
Been around for a fairly long time here... posted up a little bit when I had my Jeep... but ended up selling the Jeep as our family was growing... and needed some space along with the ability to tow a 6000lb travel trailer while still being able to hit some pretty technical trails without having to be pulled & winched along. In 2009, we bought a 96 Suburban 3/4 ton with a 454ci big block. It towed great, but was a total pain on the road as it drove like the tires were the suspension. So it was sold... and we bought a 93 Suburban 1/2 ton... and the build began.

burb1.jpg

5.7L V8, 4L60E transmission, 8.25" IFS front, 10bolt solid in the rear with a G80 gov-lock, 3.73's, tow package...cloth interior and in really nice overall condition. Orig owner 2 toned it... started out all burgundy... but the silver ended up looking like brushed aluminum... which looks neat, but won't matter after it sees a few tight trails. We're the 3rd owner... and it needed a little TLC in the repair dept... but nothing I couldn't handle.

First things first.... we're a family who likes window tint... so just like the family mini-van, we limo tinted over top of the factory tinted glass.
tint1.jpg

tint2.jpg

On the above pic, you see factory tint on the door window, below, double tint!
tint3.jpg

I located a 14bolt semi-float axle from a guy who went to 8 lugs on his Yukon. Came with a G80 gov-lock and a lot of rust & leaks.
001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Tore it apart... and checked it all out. Clean on the inside at least.
007.jpg

Ready for some cleaning...
009.jpg

More to come later....

Last edited:

TheOtherSide

Observer
So... I wire wheeled like mad to get the 14B SF prepared for paint..
axle2.jpg

Painted it with semi-gloss black POR15
axle4.jpg

I ordered up some new Nitro Gear 1541H alloy axle shafts as the ones in the axle were all pitted... got a new pinion yoke as the seal had worn a groove into it. Bought Nitro Gear 4.88's & master rebuild kits for front and rear diffs... and an ARB air locker for the rear axle. Also new axle side bearings for the rears with seals as they don't come in the master set.

diff4.jpg

Installed it all.... and rolled a nice pattern on the 14b sf
045a.jpg

045b.jpg

After the pattern was right, I worked on the air portion of the locker...
008.jpg

009.jpg

And hooked up the mini compressor (which I sold and replaced with the larger ARB comrpessor) to confirm it held pressure.. which it did.
010.jpg

Last edited:

TheOtherSide

Observer
After finishing up the rear axle, I started on the lift. I bought the 6" Rough Country RCX lift. I did a fair bit of research and found this one to be a newly redesigned lift... and for just under $1000... can't go wrong with the great reviews people were giving it.

Pulled the stock 10bolt out... and this is the result of junk collecting in the ubolt lower plates. Currently the new lift uses the same configuration, but when I switch to full leaf packs in a year or so, I'll invert the ubolts and put the threaded part up.
003.jpg

Out with the weak!!
005.jpg

Installed the 2" add-a-leaf's and 4" blocks (as I said I want to switch to full packs at a later date) and slid the new axle underneath. Note: I have some low profile tires mounted on the stock wheels as the truck wouldn't be able to drive out of the garage after being lifted on the stock sized tires.
006.jpg

Close-up of the leafs & blocks. FYI, the stock diff cover is only being used for the break-in of the gears... then the Blue Torch Fab cover goes on.
009.jpg

And that's it for the rear for now...

TheOtherSide

Observer
Up goes the front on stands... for the 5" suspension & differential drop
011.jpg

Front IFS diff out... and it's a foreign beast compared to a solid axle. So I sent it out to a local differential shop to be regeared & rebuild with a master kit.
frontdiff1.jpg

When it came back... I removed the thermal actuator...
001.jpg

And replaced it with a Posi-lok Perm lock #1000
002.jpg

009.jpg

After some maintenance work on the front end (oil pan gasket, oil pump, oil cooler lines & fittings, exhaust manifold studs and more) I started cutting off the brackets that needed to go for the 5" drop
002.jpg

And started installing the lift
007.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

Meanwhile I painted the battery tray and beefy rear diff cover...
013.jpg

When assembling the front end... I replaced EVERYTHING with MOOG parts as it's all lifetime warranty. Didn't leave a stone unturned on this.
001.jpg

Front end mostly together, incl new brakes (note: get slotted & drilled rotors... ask me why)
002.jpg

Putting together the rear brakes... all new except turned the drums
003.jpg

TheOtherSide

Observer
Finally... 3 months after buying the truck... it rolled out on it's own power... on my garage wheels/tires! Nice look... very "expo"!
004.jpg

005.jpg

Then as fast as I could... I bolted up the bigger tires/wheels. I got a set of used 15x8 rock crawler wheels with 35" BFG Mud Terrains. I spent more than enough on the truck and had to keep the costs down somewhere... and tires/wheels are the simplest to replace later. My goal is to go to a 16" wheel and some Load Range D tires (8 ply for those who talk plies)... in maybe a TrXus MT or a Baja MTZ.
006.jpg

007.jpg

What good is all that metal & equipment with no electronics.... so I installed the ARB compressor and rear locker switches... and trailer brake controller (we're towing the family travel trailer with the Burb)
001.jpg

And some more maintenance... new 3.5' wide radiator
002.jpg

And of course an 18,000 gvw transmission cooler
003.jpg

looks neat & tidy behind the grill
006.jpg

At that point... I broke in the rear axle gears with some 1500kms of commuting to work.... $$$$$$ on fuel!! Changing out the diff oil at 1000kms. Then went on the summer family vacation... truck ran like a top! When we returned I drained the rear diff again and put on the new beefy diff cover and some nice Royal Purple Synthetic gear oil.

TheOtherSide

Observer
Now this wasn't going to do.... before heading on the trail for the first time, the way that IFS lift kits drop things down and in the way of things bothered me. I had already installed different torsion bar cross member brackets than came with the kit (thx to a friend who had them on his burb before going solid front axle)... they're the large angled blocks in between the wheels on the frame. Everything hangs way down there just waiting to get hammered on a ledge or rock etc. Can see this in the below pics
001.jpg

002.jpg

and a close-up
003.jpg

Well... I did some internet research and found http://www.realiftsusp.com. They make nifty torsion bar relocation brackets.... and they're seriously beef!!!
004.jpg

005.jpg

Here's a pic I'm borrowing from their site as I didn't get a pic of that part of the install
HD_pics_13-642x471.jpg

And now look under the frame.... NOTHING!!!
006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Couldn't have imagined going over a ledge like this with the torsion bar cross member hanging way down!!
009.jpg

TheOtherSide

Observer
So... in a nutshell... that's our Suburban. I'm very impressed how it handles offroad... just need to work on a front swaybar disconnect system to avoid pulling moves like this:
2060347810105027683S600x600Q85.jpg

On road and pulling the trailer it does great. I'd recommend slotted & drilled rotors for pulling. If you have your trailer brakes set right, will be fine, but letting some of that heat go when on the binders going down hill would be a good thing.

This winter I want to get the following done:
- build a rear bumper with tire, fuel & propane carrier
- rebuild the t-case (front output bearing is very noisey) and possibly install a SYE at the same time
- install my CB and VHF radios
- some maintenance

If some additional $ comes together, I'll order up new wheels and tires.

Next winter I'll dream of a front bumper, dual batteries, winch & roof rack... but I'll need to sell my left leg for that stuff.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
:costumed-smiley-007 Smokin looking Burb! I can see that you must have some technical experience when you can install diff gears and locker by yourself. Please keep us up to date by posting pics on your considerable progress.:ylsmoke:

TheOtherSide

Observer
i like it makes me wish mine was less complicated

Yeah, trying to keep my truck at a reasonable level... and not trying to plan too many future mods. No need to go bigger, just add a few recovery & protection components.

:costumed-smiley-007 Smokin looking Burb! I can see that you must have some technical experience when you can install diff gears and locker by yourself. Please keep us up to date by posting pics on your considerable progress.:ylsmoke:

Yeah, last time I did a solid axle diff was 2nd year apprenticeship training back in about 1995... and just been doing VW transaxles since... so it took a little head banging before everything clicked. I ended up rolling a pattern and adjusting pinion height 5x till I got what I wanted.

I have a little more to post... and will keep some info coming.

iigs

Observer
And now look under the frame.... NOTHING!!!
006.jpg

Thanks for showing this off, it is an awesome find!

I have always thought lifted IFS vehicles looked vulnerable underneath because of all of the pieces hanging so low. That solution is super tidy and appears to make a huge difference right at the breakover point where you need it most, especially on a long vehicle.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Sweet suburban! Looks like you are doing it right. Where arethe offroad pics taken? Looks like you live in Aldermapleabbywack area in the first pic ofthe stock 'burb... And thanks for the input on my old thread. I ended up getting a quad cab Dodge. I know them well and found one already done the way I wanted for real cheap! I still would love another suburban though:)

TheOtherSide

Observer
Thanks for showing this off, it is an awesome find!

I have always thought lifted IFS vehicles looked vulnerable underneath because of all of the pieces hanging so low. That solution is super tidy and appears to make a huge difference right at the breakover point where you need it most, especially on a long vehicle.

Thx.. and yes, 99.9% of the IFS trucks out there are very limited based on that break over angle. Jeremiah at realiftsusp.com is really helpful... and they build each set of relocaters per application. Different specs for each model and lift etc. Very nicely put together.

Sweet suburban! Looks like you are doing it right. Where arethe offroad pics taken? Looks like you live in Aldermapleabbywack area in the first pic ofthe stock 'burb... And thanks for the input on my old thread. I ended up getting a quad cab Dodge. I know them well and found one already done the way I wanted for real cheap! I still would love another suburban though:)

Too bad you didn't get a burb. Pics of the truck in stock form are on 56th beside the Langley Airport. Trail pics are on the Whipsaw trail and Mt. Thurston in Chwk.

Chwk area trip report
http://overlandcanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1033

Whipsaw trip report
http://overlandcanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=998

Whipsaw video thread
http://overlandcanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1004

D

Deleted member 9101

I love the truck man...!!! One decade when I have a family I am probably goign to build a beast like yours.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Most excellent job on your Suburban. I am impressed. Very so. No need to apologize about the inexpensive wheels and tires - I say keep 'em, truck is looking great.

The torsion bar relocation part is something I have never seen before. Kudos on finding that. :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94