Nylosheet?

jdinevens

Adventurer
So I've build my storage system, I'm not as pleased with it as I was hoping to be so i'm looking at ways to improve it in version 2.0. I'd like something like AT's Fiberthane, but looking around I

a) can't find out who makes it/ would sell it in a 4'x8'

b) the only thing comparable would be this and its insanely expensive and also the thickest they make it is 1/2 inch

Which leads me to Nylosheet made by nyloboard, its a company that takes recycled carpet and turns it into artificial wood generally for decks. Anyway I'm sitting here with a 6"x6" 1/2'' and a 3/4'' nylosheet ultra sample in my hands and my first thought is that it feels almost like tile, it feels really brittle. I called her yesterday and she has said that a 1/2" 4'x8' sheet weights 71 lbs. One of the selling point of nylodeck is that you can go farther between joists compared to actual wood and leading composites. so 70% of my drawers are 3/4 oak hardwood and the other 30% is 1/2" so I'm thinking that as long as it's(the 1/2") lighter than the 3/4 " oak that there might be some weight savings, not to mention the strength and piece of mind that it would pretty much last the life of the vehicle. I'm thinking this weekend to get a scale and visit Home Depot and find out what a sheet of 1/2 and 3/4 weights. Also the price is expensive, but not nearly as bad as what McMaster is selling.

Has anyone worked with this stuff? Thoughts?

NMC_EXP

Explorer
I was a rubber materials engineer and have only minor experience with plastics and composite materials.

When designing for composites the best thing to do is speak to a technical person at the manufacturer of the composite (not at the retailer). The tech rep will have data on flexural modulus, tensile strength and other parameters which should influence your design.

The rigidity and tensile strength of the composite sheet should determine the thickness required and support spacing. If it is fiberglass reinforced, it is heavy:

--The specific gravity of glass is about 2.6 grams per cubic centimeter.

--The specific gravity of epoxy resin is about 1.8 grams per cubic centimeter.

--The specific gravity of white pine is about 0.5 grams per cubic centimeter.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Look into Starboard. Very popular in marine industry. Various thickness and available sheet sizes. Good chance you have cutting board made from like material.

Also since it can easily get to 120+degrees in a vehicle with the windows up in summer; do you think that plastic board would warp?

zelatore

Explorer
I use starboard a lot, but I wouldn't want it for this project. While it's easy to work (standard woodworking tools) it doesn't have a lot of strength. Any long span will need reinforcement or it will sag, and it doesn't hold a screw as well as wood (well, maybe some softer woods). It should also be noted you can't get stuff to stick to it so gluing is out unless you use a special product. It is very durable; nearly impervious to any sort of chemicals or damage other than mechanical, but I don't think it would be my first choice for something like this.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
the starboard seems reasonable, have you worked with it at all? any idea how stiff it is?
King Starboard is fine stuff, and it is stiff, stiffer than normal boards or plywood of the same thickness. Also easy to keep clean.

But it costs what seems to me to be a lot of money. Most suppliers want over $400 for a 3/4 inch thick 4.5 x 8 sheet, and that's before some very expensive shipping. That's about four times the going rate for top-grade marine plywood. Maybe Starboard's cost will be acceptable for your project, but I've only used it in small doses because of the cost.

jdinevens

Adventurer
King Starboard is fine stuff, and it is stiff, stiffer than normal boards or plywood of the same thickness. Also easy to keep clean.

But it costs what seems to me to be a lot of money. Most suppliers want over $400 for a 3/4 inch thick 4.5 x 8 sheet, and that's before some very expensive shipping. That's about four times the going rate for top-grade marine plywood. Maybe Starboard's cost will be acceptable for your project, but I've only used it in small doses because of the cost.

I'm not sure what I want at the moment honestly. I'm headed to Wally world right now for a scale so I think it will depend on potential weight savings, the nyloboard was also much cheaper than the starboard at $155 for a 4x8 of 1/2" and it seems plenty strong, still pricey. I think I'm going to mess with my samples and see how easy they are to work with....

jdinevens

Adventurer
well i got over to HD with my scale, 1/2 oak 4x8 is 42.6 and 3/4 is 63.5 hmmm seems nylosheet is probably going to be too heavy...

Woodsman

Adventurer
There are obvious reasons quality plywood such as baltic birch or cabinet grade plywood is so popular for storage units.
-Low cost
-Readily available
-Easy to machine with common tools
-Easy to assemble with common tools
-Easy to finish with common materials
-Easy to customize how every you want

jdinevens

Adventurer
There are obvious reasons quality plywood such as baltic birch or cabinet grade plywood is so popular for storage units.
-Low cost
-Readily available
-Easy to machine with common tools
-Easy to assemble with common tools
-Easy to finish with common materials
-Easy to customize how every you want

Yea I just need to work on my woodworking skills...=) Though version 2.0 might incorporate these also....seems a bit sturdier than what I did, drill pilot hole and screw together....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles