Me and the Moonlander!

Sloan

Explorer
Also check out porcelain rocket for the bags, I have a couple of them and they rock. I will also say that the frame bags that Surly/Salsa offers are really made without the wait.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
You may have missed a few, but I bet you will get there!

Ha, give me a week.

Also check out porcelain rocket for the bags, I have a couple of them and they rock. I will also say that the frame bags that Surly/Salsa offers are really made without the wait.

You jogged my memory. In the post above I was talking to Scott at Porcelain Rocket. Not the other company. I'm going to email Scott so I can get put on the waiting list.

Thanks

Gear

Coast Ride - April 4, 2012

Moonlander-CoastRide2-0801.jpg

Today's ride was down by the coast. Pretty casual, explored a few side trails and looked at a few bike shops for Ethan's new ride.

Moonlander-CoastRide3-0803.jpg

Got to love the size of that sewer pipe.

Moonlander-CoastRide4-0805.jpg

Ended up on this Coastal Rail Trail.

Moonlander-CoastRide5-0807.jpg

On the way back the tide was just starting to recede. I keep hitting the beach area at the wrong time!

Moonlander-CoastRide-0800.jpg

Back at the Moonlander Shuttle Vehicle.

CoastRide-1.jpg

Distance 13.1 miles
Elevation 475 feet
Moving Average 10.8 mph

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Justin, I have no knowledge of bike shops in your area and what they carry, but here in the OC, there are three shops that really cater to the BMX/Street crowd:
1. Epic Ride Shop in Fountain Valley ( good prices, great selection)
2. Bike Alley, ok selection, decent prices. Owner operates the famous & nearby Orange YMCA BMX Track, so I like to support him
3. Fullerton Bike Shop; A bit pricey, but they sponsor a ton of local kids in BMX and carry lots of FIT

Epic also has FIT, SUNDAY, WeAllRide, United, Subrosa, Stolen, Cult, Verde, and a few others. Sunday's are pretty sweet.

Last edited:

Gear

Justin, I have no knowledge of bike shops in your area and what they carry, but here in the OC, there are three shops that really cater to the BMX/Street crowd:
1. Epic Ride Shop in Fountain Valley ( good prices, great selection)
2. Bike Alley, ok selection, decent prices. Owner operates the famous & nearby Orange YMCA BMX Track, so I like to support him
3. Fullerton Bike Shop; A bit pricey, but they sponsor a ton of local kids in BMX and carry lots of FIT

Epic also has FIT, SUNDAY, WeAllRide, United, Subrosa, Stolen, Cult, Verde, and a few others. Sunday's are pretty sweet.

Thanks Nathan, I might take a road trip with Ethan to look at these shops.

Gear

Back to the Ranch - April 5, 2012

Moonlander-DaleyRanch-0811.jpg

Back to Daley Ranch today. Several cars in the parking lot but once out on the trails I was pretty much alone.

Moonlander-DaleyRanch6-5438.jpg

Starting the climb to the top. The flowers around here are just starting to take off.

Moonlander-DaleyRanch7-5474.jpg

A couple of sections were hike a bike. Ridable, but long and my rear tire is pretty smooth causing me to spin out.

Moonlander-DaleyRanch2-0812.jpg

Once on top I got into some large Oak Trees.

Moonlander-DaleyRanch9-5582.jpg

This tree in particular was amazing to look at.

Moonlander-DaleyRanch5-0816.jpg

Heading back, I spot a rider over on the other trail.

Moonlander-DaleyRanch14-5739.jpg

Right before I got to the Jeep I almost ran over this guy. Fortunately he coiled up and I missed him be a couple of feet. Here he is trying to get off the trail.

DaleyRanch-1.jpg

Distance 17.3 miles
Elevation 2690 feet
Moving Average 6.4 mph

Gear

To the In-Laws, April 6, 2012

Moonlander-LazyDaze2-5779.jpg

Used the Moonlander as a one way commuter to the in-laws house. I needed to pick up the motorhome to see if it still ran. Its been sitting for a couple of months.

Moonlander-LazyDaze-0818.jpg

Threw the bike in the back and proceeded to run some errands.

Inlaws.jpg

Distance 10.1 miles
Elevation 928 feet
Moving Average 11.0 mph

Gear

One Hour - April 7, 2012

Moonlander-BoyScoutKiosk3-0825.jpg

Wife said "You have one hour". Quick jaunt up to the Boy Scout Kiosk. Down the backside, I rode a section of the old hiking trail for something new.

Moonlander-BoyScoutKiosk2-0823.jpg

To the top in a record time 18 minutes 5 seconds from the house. Not bad.

BoyScoutKiosk.jpg

Distance 5.9 miles
Elevation 877 feet
Moving Average 8.5 mph
Total Time 46:19 total time

Gear

Spring Break - Lake Havasu - April 9-13, 2012

Moonlander-LakeHavasu10-0842.jpg

Last week was our Spring Break and we decided to head to Lake Havasu to meet some friends. This would be a first time for me and I wasn't sure what to expect! The Moonlander was on the back.

LakeHavasuCampground.jpg

Here is an overview of Havasu Springs Campground. The GPS track is Nathan and I exploring and finding the camp store.

Moonlander-LakeHavasu11-0848.jpg

Well I only got in one good ride during the week. The family was busy doing a lot of other water sports. Here is the two track that leads around to Parker Dam.

Moonlander-LakeHavasu13-0850.jpg

Temperatures were hot! Todays ride was in the low 90's.

Moonlander-LakeHavasu4-5884.jpg

The Dam road was closed to Pedestrians but bicycles were allowed.

Moonlander-LakeHavasu15-0854.jpg

Once past the Dam I started looking for some good trails. I had spent some time on Google Earth and noticed another smaller lake. In the distance is Gene Reservoir.

Moonlander-LakeHavasu8-5986.jpg

Unfortunately I kept running into these signs.

Moonlander-LakeHavasu6-5920.jpg

I even stopped at one of the substation and asked about access. Lets just say the young guard was upset that I rode around his barrier to talk to him.

Moonlander-LakeHavasu7-5948.jpg

Out on the lonely road. I enjoy the peace and quiet, but man is that sun hot. Here I was trying to get the cool image of my shadow.

Moonlander-LakeHavasu-5856.jpg

Heading back into the campground. The water is looking very inviting.

LakeHavasu-GeneReservoir.jpg

Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Distance 19.1 miles
Elevation 1826 feet
Moving Average 8.5 mph

So what else did I do!

Meet King - My paddle board.

Moonlander-LakeHavasu22-6391.jpg

This is a King's Paddle Sports 10' Dominator. I spent several hours just paddling and exploring the coves.

Moonlander-LakeHavasu23-6408.jpg

I love to look at the underwater topography.

Moonlander-LakeHavasu25-6431.jpg

I forgot my leash and do to the high winds on the open water I used a small piece of rope.

Moonlander-LakeHavasu27-6523.jpg

Another small inlet.

Moonlander-LakeHavasu17-0858.jpg

A fantastic week of fun in the sun. Returning to San Diego we hit high wind and rain!

jmdjax

Adventurer
Is your GPS logging your routes and you pull it off a google map later? How do you do that? That's awesome. I have a GPS76cx but I can't figure anything out on it.. My maps are all marine maps on it and I can't figure out how to replace them. (at least without spending $100+ on new ones from Garmin).

I like yours.. It has a bigger screen too. :sombrero:

Gear

Is your GPS logging your routes and you pull it off a google map later? How do you do that? That's awesome. I have a GPS76cx but I can't figure anything out on it.. My maps are all marine maps on it and I can't figure out how to replace them. (at least without spending $100+ on new ones from Garmin).

I like yours.. It has a bigger screen too. :sombrero:

I will try and break it down because technology gives me a headache too! I am using a Garmin 60CSX GPS with Garmin's handlebar mount. Before I ride I reset the trip computer and data on the GPS. Once back from the ride I plug the Garmin 60CSX into my Mac desktop computer. I use the following program to upload the route from the GPS to the computer. It is called Garmin BaseCamp(see below for link). In the upper left hand corner of BaseCamp there is a tab to Receive from Device. Click this and watch your route come up on the the screen. Once it is on the screen there is a column on the left that says Recently Read from GPSM... I highlight the Active Log. There is more then likely going to be more then one if you turned the GPS off and on while you were riding. So highlight all of the current ones. From here go to the menu bar at the top and select View. Scroll down half way to View Selected Data in Google Earth. This will take your track and place it in Google Earth. You will have to download Google Earth to your computer if you do not all ready have it. Also backing up to BaseCamp if you double click on the Active Log you can change the color of the route line in the lower right hand corner.

http://www.garmin.com/us/products/onthetrail/basecamp

http://www.google.com/earth/index.html

So two free downloads and a handheld GPS should get you on your way! Let me know how it works.

Gear

Freestyle Depot - April 16, 2012

Moonlander-FreestyleDepot-0871.jpg

Returned the RV. One way trip back home, stopped at several shops and ran into a sign as well.

Moonlander-FreestyleDepot2-0876.jpg

Looks like Ethan has decided to change his mind on the BMX bike and would instead like to get a cool scooter. So I stopped off at this shop. This is a whole new industry popping up.

Moonlander-FreestyleDepot3-0877.jpg

I also stopped off at Joe Hauler. I am thinking about making a rail or box for the scooter/bikes to do tricks on. Joe is my local welder.

Oh and then on the final leg of my ride I got side tracked looking at the Snap-On truck and ran into a metal street sign. Broke the mount to the GPS, its plastic and bent the front skewer. A few good scratches. Must resist the Snap-On truck.

FreestyleDepot.jpg

Distance 13.3 miles
Elevation 1125 feet
Moving Average 9.7 mph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles