Selling my Land Rover Defender 110 TDi

2takearest

Hi everybody,

today we met a Red Crocks, he gave us the idea to post our issue on your Forum. (Greetings Red Crocks :luxhello:)

Well, we are a couple from germany (Agnes and Claus). In October 2010 we started our trip throu the Americas. We started in Argentina and made our way up to the United States. We had a hell of a time with this vehicle driving all the dirtroads in South America!
Unfortunately our trip ends on June, 17 and so we have to sell our belowed home: Land Rover Defender 110 TDi, 1994. I (Claus) am an Mecanic, so the vehicle tecnically is in very good conditiones. The only bad thing is, that it has some bodydamages.

You'll find more informations on our blog:
http://2takearest.blogspot.com/p/for-sale-zu-verkaufen.html
and some more picks:
https://picasaweb.google.com/108605...uf_Landy_Bilder?authkey=Gv1sRgCJOk_6GY4MC_vgE

Right now we are in New Mexico, on our way to Grand Canyon NP. We will go until Yellowstone NP and then on the pacific side back to Las Vegas, Nevada. So if you live somewhere there, we can ,meet, so you can have a look at the car.

If you have any questions, or suggestions, please contact us: clausschepers(at)web.de

Greetings

Agnes and Claus
2takearest.blogspot.com

ipgregory

Adventurer
Claus,

Commiserations on the almost end of your trip. I am sure you guys had a blast and have many great memories.

A word or caution though on your intention to sell your trusty steed here in the US at the end of your trip. Based on the info you provided, that vehicle would not be legal to permanently import into the US. You can bring it in and drive it here for a while but it must leave again or be destroyed (parted?). The regs regarding LRs in the US are very strict and unless its 25 yrs old (you mention it’s a 94) or has been federalized for use here (very few are capable of having this done) then it’s not legal to import. This means that any buyer will have a headache with it if he buys it to drive. You may of course sell it as parts on wheels so to speak, just make sure any potential buyers are aware of that limitation.

I believe Canada still has a 15yr import cut off (correct me if I am wrong here somebody?) or of course there is Mexico. Either of those would stop you having to ship it back.

Good luck with the sale and enjoy the rest of your trip.

Thx

Ian

maxingout

Adventurer
I checked out your pictures. Your expeditionary modifications are different than I have seen in the past. You sleeping accommodations are unique. Congratulations on you trip through the Americas!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Agnes and Claus, great adventure and truck! I have built a Rover or two, and am very interested in your truck. I will be at Expo in May in Flagstaff-are you planning to attend? Regardless, I would like to procure it. I will drop you an email as well. Thanks, Dale

mongosd2

Adventurer
Really cool trip...

But good luck with the importation of this. Just because it's in the US doesn't mean it can stay legally...

not a bad price for the parts

Canol 109

Observer
This truck is only legal to sell currently in Canada due to the 15 year import versus the U.S. 25 year rule.

Saying that i suppose it doesnt matter to you who purchases it. Just get cash or a bank money order.

If you sell it in The U.S. It will become just another grey market vehicle. Advertise on the Rovers North forum, Land Rover Exchange to name a few.

Good luck as it seems solid enough, other than the body damage.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
sure if you want to do a vin swap...

Believe it or not, some of us actually build our trucks. Here is one, my first 110 actually from many years ago, for sale again currently: http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/2946968353.html
The parts from a truck such as this one for sale are extremely difficult to come by- like dash, Tdi, etc I have a 130 in pieces from the paint shop waiting to be assembled right now. Point being, you don't have to sour the perception of others that everyone does swaps, though some obviously do. I am fortunate to live in NC where we get an immediate exception for diesel conversions- any diesel conversion...

jCubed

Adventurer
Believe it or not, some of us actually build our trucks. Here is one, my first 110 actually from many years ago, for sale again currently: http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/2946968353.html
The parts from a truck such as this one for sale are extremely difficult to come by- like dash, Tdi, etc I have a 130 in pieces from the paint shop waiting to be assembled right now. Point being, you don't have to sour the perception of others that everyone does swaps, though some obviously do. I am fortunate to live in NC where we get an immediate exception for diesel conversions- any diesel conversion...

I live just done from this 110, wish I could buy a second rig!

ipgregory

Adventurer
Nothing wrong with buying it to part it and use some of the parts on a few different vehicles. If a buyer thinks there are enough salvageable parts on the truck to make the price viable then that is their business.

The problem is that way too many of these illegal to import vehicles are turning up on places like fleabay and some of the forums for sale to unwitting buyers who then find out they have a headache on their hands.

Ian

mongosd2

Adventurer
Yep, I've done 2, legally...so your not the only one.

Kinda confused why your getting fired up. I said that if your buying it for parts you should be fine. The vin swap comment was not directed at you, but just a general statement that it's the only way you can drive this truck as is in the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles