Lightweight Homebuilt Camper for my Tacoma

roninjiro... you may find 72 yards disappears very quickly! I purchased 5 rolls (180 yards) of it and have already used 2 rolls.

Started cutting skin panels today.... I am using painted .032 aluminum.... will start sticking the panels on tomorrow.
IMG_2005.jpg

and picked up some one inch EPS to start installing the insulation
IMG_2004.jpg

cost wise... the parts that I choked the most on were the RV edge trim pieces.... Oh my !! they were something like $800 for all the pieces.

I am cutting the aluminum with my circular saw with an aluminum blade. I clamp on a guide then lay a strip of puck board (1/8" plastic) on top of the aluminum ... so the saw does not scratch the paint. The saw slides on the plastic and the aluminum is scratch free.

managed to get some work done today

bottom pieces stuck in place... you may notice the little access holes I left to tighten up the turnbuckles inside the truck box
IMG_2009.jpg

Left one passenger side piece off for now to allow bolting on the fold out counter and fridge slide
IMG_2008.jpg

used .025 roof aluminum under the cab-over so I could do it in one piece.
IMG_2010.jpg

then flipped it back upright
IMG_2014.jpg

The first piece of insulation.. 1 inch EPS between the frame members
IMG_2017.jpg

loving how easy this VHB tape is to use... .and the videos on youtube about it are amazing
IMG_2015.jpg

laying out the driver's side wall for tomorrow
IMG_2016.jpg

then it was off to coach baseball

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Yes, the siding is looking really good.

One question about going with this method of siding, How much does it limit the frame from flexing? I would think it will keep the frame very stiff. Not sure if it is a pro or a con, as I like how the flexing frame of my FWC rides on the truck.

Thanks for the compliments everyone

Overland... if you look at the videos about VHB tape.... the tape is really more of an elastic goop.... it will stretch a long way before it releases... so the frame I would think can still flex a bit... once I get it all on I will see how far I can flex it.

One video about the VHB tape the guy talked about using it on aircraft skin and how that increased the strength of the frame, unlike rivets or screws which simply attach the skin with no increase in strength of frame..... it sounded good.... I am no expert!

Last edited:

xtremexj

Adventurer
This build looks fantastic!! I've been contemplating whether or not to start on building my own frame next winter and this is certainly giving me some ideas. :) I am curious to see how that VHB tape works for you - it looks like a great idea. I would also think that it will help with thermal bridging as it should absorb any temperature variances from surface to surface. Maybe you can report on that as you start to use the camper down the road.

I drove down to the US border today (luckily I live close to the border) to pick up a hot knife I ordered for cutting the foam... and some more McMaster-Carr loot.... (that place has way too much awesome hardware!)

IMG_2018.jpg

managed to install another wall panel this evening and put on lots more VHB tape.. so I could measure how much I am short.... looks like I need another 1 1/2 rolls

IMG_2019.jpg
IMG_2020.jpg

The aluminum for the skin as well as all the aluminum for the frame comes from Samuel Metals.... they have warehouses everywhere.... I ordered from the one in the Vancouver area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles