Homemade 4x8 trailer (similiar to teardrop)

Jeremysp1993

Observer
I started on this project about a week ago. I first was working on my Camper (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/60336-Custom-Slide-in-Camper-for-midsize-truck) for my Dodge Dakota, but the welder broke(as the structural frame was steel) so i decided to make a trailer out of a cheap harbor freight style 4x8 trailer.
I wanted to build this one because its easier to build, since it is wood, but i prefer metal frames just because once they are together, they are not coming apart like wood can do.
I am making this similar to a homemade teardrop that some of you make, but instead of it being rounded, it has flat shapes.
I will get this finished very fast, and then when the welder is fixed, then i can proceed to finish my camper for my truck.
I will post pictures soon as i have alot accomplished already.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Here is the bare trailer. Just how i bought it.
14tc9d5.jpg

Then i create a 2x4 floor, just like wall joists, but laying down on the trailer. I used lag bolts from the bottom side of the boards to hold it down.
15chu2s.jpg

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Then here is the plywood on top of the 2x4's. I primed the bottom side of plywood, and i primed all the 2x4's prior to installing, which is why they are white. Makes sense to do it now, then later.
2zps783.jpg

Then i started to build the walls. The walls are made up of the 2x2 studs that is only 1.52 for a 8 foot piece. This picture is just one that i took at that moment.
2hwzkw.jpg

Yellowkayak

Adventurer
I hope you upgrade those hubs and wheels. Hauling them long distance, if that is what you plan on doing with it, with any load on them will burn those bearings out quickly. Also you might want to do an axle flip on that. Watch your weight limit on those trailers, they are not designed to carry to much weight, and the metal is thin. I use to own one just like you had. I hauled a couple kayaks on them and burned out the bearings on normal driving (no high speeds, over 65 MPH).

Good luck on your project, can't wait to see the end product.

JJ

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Here it is with the 3/8 acr plywood on the side. One side is very smmmootth(so i can paint it instead of skinning the entire trailer with aluminum, as i will keep this undercover when not in use so it will have minimal affects from the rain onto the painted plywood)
2qu1zi9.jpg

And whenever i drilled into the 2x2's, i always ran a pilot whole so it would prevent splitting, and so it will be easier to screw in.

Here is both sides on.
qyg7ya.jpg

Here it is behind my truck
dwljn.jpg

bob

Adventurer
This will work for in park camping, but will never survive an off road trek. The frame is not strong enough and will bend with much torque from the truck. I suggest you strengthen the frame or build one out of 2x2 box. Channel and angle iron are not good for a off road frame. Honestly not good for any frame that will see hard use.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
This will work for in park camping, but will never survive an off road trek. The frame is not strong enough and will bend with much torque from the truck. I suggest you strengthen the frame or build one out of 2x2 box. Channel and angle iron are not good for a off road frame. Honestly not good for any frame that will see hard use.

I understand how you feel, and you are completely correct.
What do you mean 2x2 box?
And I didnt plan on taking this offroad like some members on this site do. But the most it will be on is just forest service gravel roads. So it wont have that hard of use. And then again, i wont be using it that much. Maybe like once a month on average. And if ever breaks, i will tear it down and make it out of 1.5x1.5 steel frame which will be good enough for offroading.
Thats why i was/am making my camper for my dakota, which is made from a steel frame, that will handle the impacts of the road and such.

bob

Adventurer
2x2 box tubing, just a little bigger than the 1.5 stuff. Better suited for frames. Just did not want to see you waste a lot of money and time if you were planning on rock crawling or something. Have fun

Jeremysp1993

Observer
2x2 box tubing, just a little bigger than the 1.5 stuff. Better suited for frames. Just did not want to see you waste a lot of money and time if you were planning on rock crawling or something. Have fun

Yeah i totally know what you mean! I wanted this to be a budget build or i would of made it allot better. And i only have 8inch wheels on it, which allow barely any clearance under trailer if offroading, so no offroading for me haha. Soon, i will put some 12's on it, for more clearance and so the trailer is a little bit taller to my truck(it is angled when attached)

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Here it is with more plywood attached to the front. I first used adhesive between the plywood and the studs, to make sure that it wont move at all since most of the draft when pulling the trailer will hit the front. And i of course attached screws.
2r5z145.jpg

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Looking great! Are you planning on a traditional side entry door and galley area on the back?

Yes that's my plan. It's going to be the same as a tear drop, but the shape is different.
I have been working on it the whole time, I just haven't had the time to upload any pictures.
I have insulated almost all of it, I finished framing the door way, and I built the door out of steel. I made the door out of steel because if I made it out of 2x2wood, it will be very weak. Today I'm working on the storage shelves in the back. more pics will be up soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles