1995 4RUNNER Project Page

4AFK

Observer
Its late and I have to drive my truck over the pass tomorrow in what will fun snow conditions. First, cool site, great resources. Really looking forward to going through more of the post tomorrow.

What I have:

1995 Toyota 4Runner

What I want to do with her:
Laptop mount (passenge side)
Aux battery system
HAM ceiling mount
Custom Roof rack
Bunk/over cargo hold in rear
Fog lamps
Work lamp on gimbal
new stereo

Sure I can think of more later, and I'll have photos to show too. Now I'm going to pretend that I can sleep for a while.

Night folks,

Matt

4AFK

Observer
Image of Phase One 1995

My boss actually asked me to screw off today, so I found myself with a little extra time on my hands. I ended up taking a short hike in Frenchman's Coulee which is on a volcanic bench above the Columbia River near Vantage, WA. On the way out I stopped under a 50' volcanic cliff that has a red tinge to it. Photo included below:

2213224140_32f4351056.jpg

Next Friday I have a new stero going into my rig with Bluetooth cellphone interface. The fella I bought the truck from did a number on the wiring harness and rather than spend a lot of time in the cold trying to fix it myself I'm taking it to a car stereo store near Seattle.

Also spent some time today asking about aux. battery systems for my rig at a local RV store. Should have a quote shortly, although suggestions are always welcome. Looking at a pair of deep cycle 12 V batteries and I plan on housing them in the rear under a cargo platform/custom drawer system I'm building.

Also I'm contemplating an Maggiolina Extreme or Overland camper on top. Anyone have experience with above cab pop-up tents? Either that or build it myself.

shawkins

Adventurer
Welcome to the portal! Your located not too far from me.

I'm looking forward to your build-up, I may have to use some of your idea's on my '91!

4AFK

Observer
Thanks for the Welcome and Needing Ideas

Thanks to everyone who's welcomed me to the forum. We'll be seeing you on dirty roads soon enough. :camping:

Had a thought last night about how I might save some weight. One of the ways sailing folks save weight is to stow their gear in netting. The netting is pretty easy to come by, but I've been racking my brains thinking of how I'd go about setting D-rings in the walls and ceiling of my rig without punching all the way through the exterior metal.

Suppose this is going to require me to peal off all the plastic to see what's available in the way of attachment points. Might be able to rethink the Overland tent too if I can mount a hamock between the cab and the rear bumper.

Arivalsend

Adventurer
Hamock goodness

Sounds like good stuff. I have had great luck with hamocks but I have not used them inside a vehicle rather mounted them on the outside and strung between a couple rigs or between my truck and local trees......

But you will have to post it if you can pull it off inside, that sounds great. Good luck on the build and welcome on board!

jingram

Adventurer
Couple of questions about 2nd gen 4runners. How hard is that 3.4 swap? Does anybody make a roof rack for them that is functional for load or is everything custom? Found an interesting site about a guy and his experiences with the surf and what he did to prep it for overland duty in southern africa:

Hilux Surf

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
jingram said:
Couple of questions about 2nd gen 4runners. How hard is that 3.4 swap? Does anybody make a roof rack for them that is functional for load or is everything custom? Found an interesting site about a guy and his experiences with the surf and what he did to prep it for overland duty in southern africa:

Hilux Surf

I'll piggy-back on this question too. Does the 5-spd in the 2nd Gen mate right up to the 3.4?

4AFK

Observer
jingram said:
Does anybody make a roof rack for them that is functional for load or is everything custom?
Hilux Surf

If your 2nd Gen has the roof rails installed you can add Thule bars to meet your load demands. The rails run over the support beams in the back of the cab which can hold a great deal more weight than just the roof. I don't know what the max is on this, but I'm pretty sure you can stack a bit up there.

4AFK

Observer
slosurfer said:
4AFK, do you have the auto or 5spd?

What are your plans for the the front suspension?

I have a 5spd manual. No real plans for the front end yet, I've been pretty sucessful with what's on there and the low range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior