Battery Operated Water Pump

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
NOTE: I just remembered that the newer BLACK poly tanks that AT uses may not work with this pump. Our poly tank is a older clear model with a smaller filler port. The newer style has a larger filler port and therefore the pump may all together just fall right through the opening. Maybe someone with a new style can chime in on the diameter of their filler port.

First off, big thanks to Ed for the help tracking this thing down.

So i've noticed that using the manual pump on the Adventure Trailer can really be really slow sometimes. Reliable as all heck, but slow and tiresome for a large pot.

I started figuring out what others have used. I wanted something easy and something that didn't need to be wired into the trailer and something that wasn't going to make me lose the manual pump. I wanted to keep the manual pump for back up.

Well i looked at DatkariEd's trailer and noticed that he has this little gizmo on his water tank and no manual pump. I PM'd him a few times, and found out what it was. With a little bit more research i found it out on the web. It was a (2) d-cell water pump made for the 5 gallon bottle drinking water. Pretty cool I thought because it was simple, cheap and easy to use. It fits right in the filler port on our Horizon and slides over the neck for a somewhat tight fit. When not in use or flying down fire roads it will be stored inside.

No more pumping to fill water buckets, pans washing dishes etc. For $12 you can't beat it.

Here's a video clip
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cw2dx8322AQ

Shot of it in a 5 gallon water jug
kn_wp201.jpg

Switch on top
kn_wp201_2.jpg

Specs:

-Turns any standard 5-gallon water bottle into an instant thirst-quenching water fountain
-High-output pump fills 8 oz glass in just 3 seconds! 4-liter per minute flow-rate
-2 'D' batteries (not included) last for months (1,000 liters continuous); soft-touch button
-Fits standard 5-gallon water bottles (not included); adjustable depth to fit other containers
-Great for sporting events, picnics, work crews - dispenses sport drinks & adult beverages, too!

Engineered to provide quick efficient water and drink dispensing without effort sturdy ABS construction is lightweight and stands up to constant use. Simple on-off switch allows continuous operation for filling large containers. Dimensions: 28-1/2"-length, maximum container depth 18", tube diameter 3/4" OD, 7" detachable spout with tethered cap; 14 oz. One-year warranty and Jack's Tool Shed worry-free Satisfaction Guarantee.

Finding it was the sort of hard part. Had to search the net.. but i finally found it at Jackstoolshed.com. http://www.jackstoolshed.com/produc...tant_Water_Fountain__Drinking_Water_Pump.html

Ordered it and 3 days later it was here.

I think for the price, i'll order a second one just in case!!

Anyways, nows there's information on Ed's top secret pump. Hope you guys find this info helpful.

Last edited:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Neat...so it shares the same thread size as the AT filler cap? One of the benefits, as you surely know, to the manual type pump on the AT's is water conservation ;-).

I replaced the plain threaded water tank plug on the underside of the AT tank with a petcock (lever actuated)...when I need water in a hurry I just fill pots and shower bucket from here...

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Perdy cool. We used to have one years ago to fill our Kerosenne heaters. Same thing different spout. It had a hose to reach the floor besidea 5 gal can.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
spressomon said:
Neat...so it shares the same thread size as the AT filler cap? One of the benefits, as you surely know, to the manual type pump on the AT's is water conservation ;-).

I replaced the plain threaded water tank plug on the underside of the AT tank with a petcock (lever actuated)...when I need water in a hurry I just fill pots and shower bucket from here...

Nope, its not the same size. It's larger. It fits over the neck on the filler port firmly. No mods needed.. no running to home depot for adapters. Fits snug and cant hurt the threads on the tank, cause it slides over the outside of the neck. Works great.

Water conservation is really not a problem for us. We won't use anymore than normal, this just will help get it faster. Also, we can carry a spare 10-15 gallons in addition to the 19 gallon Horizon tank.

Yeah if i ever need a ton of water quick, i just grab the 5 gallon NATO can with water in it off the tongue of the trailer.

Last edited:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
spressomon said:

This sounds awesome...simple and reliable.

Would you mind sharing a picture and/or further details?

For example, do you fill directly from the valve or do you connect a hose to it?

One thing that seems to take forever is filling the Zodi Extreme with a couple gallons for showers. But, using your method, I don't think I could get the Zodi to fit under the trailer.

SOCALFJ said:
Nope, its not the same size. It's larger. It fits over the neck on the filler port firmly. No mods needed.. no running to home depot for adapters. Fits snug and cant hurt the threads on the tank, cause it slides over the outside of the neck. Works great.

Dave, thanks for posting this up. This is also an excellent idea.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Dave,

Letting you do all the work :), have you also figured out a way to keep the pump clean when not in use, at least the hose end that goes into the water tank?

After watching your video, I definitely like this idea; however, I'd want to make sure that dirt/dust doesn't get introduced into the water tank with repeated removals and re-installs.

Again, thanks for posting this up.

Tony

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Im going to figure out that next, Im going to see if i can find extra long zip lock bags and store it in the kitchen area. I can't see it getting dirty that way. I will post what i come up with.

Tony, to fill our Zodi, we just pour the water in from a 5 gallon NATO can. I wouldn't even think about filling the zodi with the manual pump.. yikes. That would take forever!

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
SOCALFJ said:
I will just put it in a zip lock bag and store it in the kitchen area. I can't see it getting dirty that way.

Thanks.

SOCALFJ said:
Tony, to fill our Zodi, we just pour the water in from a 5 gallon NATO can. I wouldn't even think about filling the zodi with the manual pump.. yikes. That would take forever!

:REOutArchery02:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
tdesanto said:
This sounds awesome...simple and reliable.

Would you mind sharing a picture and/or further details?

For example, do you fill directly from the valve or do you connect a hose to it?

One thing that seems to take forever is filling the Zodi Extreme with a couple gallons for showers. But, using your method, I don't think I could get the Zodi to fit under the trailer.

Dave, thanks for posting this up. This is also an excellent idea.

Just substitute one of these (get them at any Hose & Fitting/Hydraulic Fitting store): I think the plug on the bottom of the AT tank is 1/4NPT but verify whether its 1/4" or 3/8"NPT...I can't remember.

http://www.anver.com/document/vacuum components/vacuum valves/mini-ball-valves/bvc-14-mf!.htm

I've thought about getting the same with a 90 degree elbow and running hose out to the edge of the trailer. But this is so simple and reliable I've left well enough alone :). Slip a bucket (a 5-gallon Home Depot/painters bucket fits nicely under mine with 35" tires...) under it...fill your Zodi. Quick.

For the AT spigot: Redline took the extended rubber cap that AT puts (or maybe used to put) on the schraeder valves for the air bags...and it fits perfectly over the manual pump spigot keeping it clean and dust free. Gotta ring M&M up for a couple as they're long gone from my air valves now :-o

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
spressomon said:
Just substitute one of these (get them at any Hose & Fitting/Hydraulic Fitting store): I think the plug on the bottom of the AT tank is 1/4NPT but verify whether its 1/4" or 3/8"NPT...I can't remember.

http://www.anver.com/document/vacuum%20components/vacuum%20valves/mini-ball-valves/bvc-14-mf!.htm

I've thought about getting the same with a 90 degree elbow and running hose out to the edge of the trailer. But this is so simple and reliable I've left well enough alone :). Slip a bucket (a 5-gallon Home Depot/painters bucket fits nicely under mine with 35" tires...) under it...fill your Zodi. Quick.

For the AT spigot: Redline took the extended rubber cap that AT puts (or maybe used to put) on the schraeder valves for the air bags...and it fits perfectly over the manual pump spigot keeping it clean and dust free. Gotta ring M&M up for a couple as they're long gone from my air valves now :-o

Awesome. Thanks again! My Zodi just might fit under there. I'll have to measure. My Horizon has 33" tires, so it'll be just a tad shorter.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Holy crap that is awesome!! We are tinkering with an onboard water system for the FJ, and this is a lot easier than having to install and wire up a mechanical pump!

Just a question about the AT tank, I thought I read on there that it came with a mechanical pump? Or by mechanical do they mean your hand is the mechanism? :jump:

GunnIt

Adventurer
I have one of these on my AT Horizon. I believe that this was standard issue on the early run trailers. Mine has worked flawlessly so far. I bought a super siphon as a backup in case this thing ever bites the dust and I'm caught staring at a full water tank and no way to get the water out.

The directions tell you to always take the batteries out while the unit is stored...this is something that I always do.

GunnIt

Adventurer
SOCALFJ said:
Gunnit, how does yours mount? I'd like to know how they did it from AT.

I have the older style (clear) tank. The pump has a larger collar that sits over the lip of the tank to protect any dirt from entering. It does not screw-in, it simply sits on the top of the raised entrance to the tank. I'll do some photos tomorrow if you like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94