My Westfalia Syncro!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
About 7 years ago I purchased a 1986 Volkwagen Westfalia Syncro from the original owner in Quebec. At the time I was not exactly sure what it was, but I knew I had to buy it…! The owner was 76 years old and was getting a bit old to drive/maintain it. It was a sad moment but he knew the Westy would be in good hand.

Over the years I have done some maintenance and a few upgrades. When I first moved to CA 5 years ago we took it down with us then eventually drove it back to Quebec where it has been living since.

When I was in Montreal a few weeks ago driving it around, I decided it was time to do some more upgrades to it.
I realized that I already had the perfect expedition vehicle…actually 2 of them…one for Africa, one for North America…

:)

So my friend Andre left Montreal early Sunday morning and he is currently on his way down here - the third cross country trip for my Syncro!

Over the next months I want to do a major mechanical overhaul and add some extras to it.

I am going to try to update this thread as often as I can – if you have questions about Syncro, please feel free to post here!!!!

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

kcowyo

ExPo Original
If you have that, I don't know what else you're looking for?!

Our neighbor is selling her '86 Westy (not Syncro) so we crawled around it the other night out of curiosity.

We didn't get to drive it but I sat in the driver's seat, trying to get a feel for the cab forward feel. Very different than what I'm used to. I thought the interior fit & finish could have been better but it is 22 years old....

So what are your impressions of the interior, the sink & stove, the fridge, the bedding, the tent fabric, etc.? I must admit I'm terribly curious about these as I really like the ability to pass through from the driver's seat into the living area.

DarinM

Explorer
Syncro envy

I was ignorant as to the existence of these things until relatively recently. Now I want one.

What a cool looking beastie that is. I'll also be looking forward to your working on it and reading of your explorations with it.

slooowr6

Explorer
kcowyo said:
If you have that, I don't know what else you're looking for?!

Our neighbor is selling her '86 Westy (not Syncro) so we crawled around it the other night out of curiosity.

We didn't get to drive it but I sat in the driver's seat, trying to get a feel for the cab forward feel. Very different than what I'm used to. I thought the interior fit & finish could have been better but it is 22 years old....

So what are your impressions of the interior, the sink & stove, the fridge, the bedding, the tent fabric, etc.? I must admit I'm terribly curious about these as I really like the ability to pass through from the driver's seat into the living area.

Sorry to jump in, I really think Westy's layout is one of the best. If you look at the new SMB, many come with RB50 layout which is the same layout as westy. When I had my 86 westy everything in there works and the tent is still the original and in good condition. The material used in the cabinet is really thought through, it's not the normal ply wood it's a much lighter material to keep the weight down. It has it's character though, the 2.1 waterboxer is a little down on power for the heavy camper, with 215/75R15 tire, it slows down to 40mph on mountain passes. The van is a little noise on freeway. If I have the time and money, which I don't :(, I would get a Syncro westy and do a Tiico conversion and a full sound insulation. I really really like the Westy.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
thanks guys for all the comments!

Yes I also think the interior layout and finish is one of the best.
Even after over 20 years, it still look really decent.
The material they use is much more durable than the plywood used in most RVs.

As for the engine, yes it is totally underpowered. That's the biggest complaint I have.
I have been toying with the idea of putting a Subaru 2.5 but I may wait.
My engine was rebuilt a couple years ago by a guy in Montreal named Benoit who does an excellent job.

Check out his website:

http://www.benplace.com/bjp3.htm

This is a total restauration he's done for a customer in Colorado - they installed a Subaru SVX 3.3 engine in it.

http://www.benplace.com/87_syncro1.htm

Some of the upgrades I plan on doing are:

-new South Africa front grill and H4 lights. Should help at night

-new spring set and shocks. I have driven Syncro with these and the difference is enormous.
The Vanagon handles much better, especially when windy.

http://www.smallcar.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=7

-noise insulation. Haven't researched the options yet.

-new poptop canvas with 3 windows. Should open up the upper space even more.

-and more...

It everything goes well, my friend should be here by the weekend and we'll start working on it right away...!

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
[HIJACK]
kcowyo said:
We didn't get to drive it but I sat in the driver's seat, trying to get a feel for the cab forward feel.
Having driven a '66 Econoline Van as my DD for a number of years I can testify that the forward control position is different. The perception of traveling sideways in a sharp turn takes some getting used to. I wouldn't say its bad, just different.

About the only bad thing about this driving position is that with any front end accident you're the first one there.[/HIJACK]

I loved my van. A Synchro Westy ranks high on my list of desirables. I'll be interested in how this works for you!

slooowr6

Explorer
2aroundtheworld said:
-new spring set and shocks. I have driven Syncro with these and the difference is enormous.
The Vanagon handles much better, especially when windy.

:) This is one thing I think only westy owner will understand. I made the mistake use P rated tire even with new Bilstein shocks the van feels like to change lane whenever there is cross wind. :oops:

FROADER

Adventurer
Great looking Syncro. Those are a blast! :)

I'd skip the Subi 2.5 swap and go for something bigger. My friend just did it about 8 months ago, and the difference isn't worth all the time and money spent on it. Even having researched the F out of it, he's pretty disappointed with his decision of the 2.5.

We took it to Mammoth and with only 3 of us in it, even with the swap the hill from Bishop to Mammoth was a killer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier