Pics of your VAN! Post up!

Barracuda

Yep! I thought that was you. I remember you talking about the Astro van project over at Pnet. Glad to hear you actually pulled the trigger on it.

After 10 years I have the kayaking thing down to a routine, and I spend a lot more time thinking about the my various vehicle projects. The '92 Chevy 20 Tiara Conversion van is my favorite. After three years and $15K, I finally have it roadworthy and we've done some cool trips in it. The problem is I haven't figured out a way to haul kayaks with it. For our trips over Sonora Pass I follow behind in the Toy truck with camper shell and racks with the kayaks. Taking two vehicles is not such a bad idea on such a demanding route with no cell phone service.

The cave photos were taken at Van Dam State Park in Mendocino. We took the van on that trip and I rented a kayak to go out to the caves with a guide, which is a good idea to have a local guide for the first trip there. This year we took the Silverado with the kayaks for two weeks, and went with a local friend I made up there last year.

CSG

Explorer
I'm up in the Sawtooth National Recreation Area even as I type. Here's one of my favorite spots. Don't know why my photos won't show up!

photo.php

CSG

Explorer
Thanks! What am I not doing right? Pasting the image address using "insert image" in the message icon list but all it does it put in the link!?!

CSG

Explorer
What I don't get is why, using the code here, it won't post. I use other vBulletin forums and am able to upload photos this way. Just not this one.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Colorado Ron said:
687929010_0eac51ea31.jpg

Not as big as most vans, but can hold its own!

Spent the weekend with a Land Rover and a Pinz in Washington's Olympic Mountain range. The Pinzgauer was very cool. Suprised at how small it was.

9dawgs

My '99 Astro 4X2

Hello, my name is Jim, and I'm addicted to van camping...

CompletedInstall2.jpg
After Limited Mods

BoatVan.jpg
Arriving at the river

IMG_0497.jpg
Set up with the SportZ Tent
IMG_0502.jpg
Pic of the inside

It's nice and cozy compared to straight tent camping.:sombrero: I hope to add more mods in the future. A pop top like T-Lows would be awesome but I was thinking more on the salvage yard late model VW Westy find for the conversion and do it myself to save the $$. If anyone has a good link to a DIY poptop install let me know.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Still the best looking "AstroLander" out there, Jim. Thanks again for all your advice.

9dawgs

CSG said:
Very nice rig, Jim. Does it have a limited slip?

No it has the regular grocery getter set up. But I'm going to swap with the Astro my wife has, rear for rear. Hers has the G80 Gov-Loc posi trac which was standard in the towing package. It's just a "need time to do it" thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior