Amateur radio: a friendly competition, but I have to win

articulate

Expedition Leader
Fellas -
My buddy Andy is an amateur radio nut, and he's given me and my friend, Russ, a challenge:
Andy will buy the radio for whomever passes the exam first.

So I need to win.

I want advice on
  • What to use for a study guide
  • Where to find the exam location
  • How FAST can one learn this stuff? :)

I'll be in 2m bliss soon. Not that the radio is out of my budget, but who likes losing?

Mark

whitethaiger

Adventurer
Check the recent threads/posts by crawler.

Don't know how fast you can learn this stuff. Took me a week (decided on a Saturday, had to wait till next Saturday for next exam date) from deciding I want to go 2m to taking the test and having the radio installed. :ylsmoke:. Of course I wasn't in a race... It can all be done in a day. In fact, they offer classes where you study during the day and take the exam at the end of the day.

I used this book and took practice test here.

They have books at the HRO in Phoenix (you don't have time to have a book shipped, your buddy will win:exclaim:)

So go do it Mark! :jumping:

articulate

Expedition Leader
Cool. Yes, HRO good call. Problem: they're in Russ's backyard. I'll bet he's already got the book.

In my favor, though, he's a procrastinator and dislikes studying. :xxrotflma

Part of the competition, you know, is that the loser will end up buying a 2m anyway....

Thanks Uwe!

Mark

articulate

Expedition Leader
whitethaiger said:
Don't know how fast you can learn this stuff. Took me a week (decided on a Saturday, had to wait till next Saturday for next exam date) from deciding I want to go 2m to taking the test and having the radio installed. :ylsmoke:. Of course I wasn't in a race... It can all be done in a day. In fact, they offer classes where you study during the day and take the exam at the end of the day....
With a little :violent-smiley-031: I'm sure I can throw down the info to pass the exam pretty quickly. What I need to do is find out when the NEXT exam is near me....

Which license do you suppose? Perhaps the Tech since I'm in a race to just GET it, huh?

Mark

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Mark - you can do it man!

Find the next exam HERE

Just do the technicians for now. If you pass with flying colors, they may offer you to go for the general right there on the spot. If not, you can always retest later.

:jumping:

whitethaiger

Adventurer
articulate said:
With a little :violent-smiley-031: I'm sure I can throw down the info to pass the exam pretty quickly. What I need to do is find out when the NEXT exam is near me....

Which license do you suppose? Perhaps the Tech since I'm in a race to just GET it, huh?

Mark

Don't they still require Morse code for the higher classes? That'll take a little more time to learn. So Tech is what you should go for, it's all you need to use the 2m on trips. If you eventually get more into HAM you can always take the other tests.

articulate

Expedition Leader
Sweet!!!

Hilarious. I'm going to be in Atlanta from Aug 21-25, so I'm hosed for the next Phoenix dates....I MAY lose due to scheduling. Nothing available in Atlanta during that week. I already checked. :)

BUT!!!! there is one on the 26th in Tucson at 9:00 am. I'd have to burn through it pretty fast to show up late for the Gunsight Pass trip. Frankly, the trip is more important. :truck:

Thanks for the input, Chris! You rock.

Edit: Uwe, just read your post. Yes, thanks for the input. Technician's is the way to go then. After all, we're competing here...!

asteffes

Explorer
The Tech license is all you need for everyday communications via amateur radio. You can get your General or Extra when you decide you want to reach way out and touch someone.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Mark!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck dood!!!!!!!!............:elkgrin:

What a fun project!

I know I need this 2 meter thingy..........

I just can't focus on it right now.

I hope you win!!!!!!!!!!!!:wavey:

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
The online study exams didn't contain the current question pool, so I opted to buy the ARRL Tech Licence book. Itwill be available after the 8th of Sept, but that'll be to late...:D

The ARRL book is very informative, but there is a "shortcut" version - if I'd done just a little more research, I'd have bought it instead:

http://www.arrl.org/catalog/?item=9647

I've been programming the Yaesu FT-2800M - pretty straight forward, but time consumming. While I've only keyed up once to talk to verify the radio is working, I'm pleased with it's reception using a 1/4 wave mag mount. I spoke with a guy in Mesa via repeater, and was heard clearly in Payson as well.

The ARA ( http://www.w7ara.org/Web/ ) has linked repeaters that cover a huge chunk of AZ and California. I've been listening to conversations on the Mt. Elden repeater in Flagstaff from Mesa, Payson, Wickenburg, Holbrook, and points west on I-40. They have links to repeater info state wide.

Later

Mark

articulate

Expedition Leader
Mlachica said:
:jump:

congratulations Mark! What radio's did you get or are you getting?
thanks!

I'm pretty certain that I'm getting a FT-7800 for the truck. This radio comes with the separation it until December 31 through all retailers, BTW. That's a $60 value.

I'm a little flipped out about the antenna. My CB uses a magnet mount on the roof. "Seat taken!" Earlier, I'd asked about the fender/hood mounts some of the cool kids have. I need a dual band antenna, too. Ideas, thoughts, or input?

For this "competition" my buddy told me and another friend that whoever got their license first, would get a free FT-1500 from him. Well, the dirty bastard actually had 2 of these and intended on giving them to us anyway. So that's what I have for the Jeep. I'll be using the popular Hustler SF-2 antenna mounted to the rear rack over the spare tire. :)

Any thoughts about a dual band antenna?

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Most Excellent..........Mark!!!!!!!!!

I'm Very Happy for YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now where is that 2 Meter Radio Smilie when you need him>?!!!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior