Box Rocket Homemade trailer build.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
It was like an 'everything Toyota but Land Cruiser' weekend, OK we did have a 40 and an 80 along. Great pics as usual Adam :cool:

Hey adam, what are the dimensions of your trailer? LxWxH Height being of the actual box itself. looks awesome, im basing my trailer build off of yours!!

Box Rocket

Been a while since I've updated this but it's also been a while since I've changed anything. Last fall I decided to clean up the fenders that had been badly peppered by rocks. The paint was chipped badly so I decided to repaint the fenders with some Spray on Bedliner. I just used the Rustoleum spray cans. turned out nice, but I'm sure it won't hold up quite as well as "pro" bed liner. That's ok.

Here's a few pics after the fender repaint.

So finally, the most recent change was with tires. I have been running these 315 75R16 BFG's on 80 Series Land Cruiser wheels for a while. They're worked out great but are just a touch too big in the fenders. 99% of the time there were no problems but big high-speed hits in the desert would put them into the fenders a little. I didn't want to destroy a tire out in the middle of nowhere so I started looking at options. At first I planned to redo the fenders, but that seemed extreme.

trailer with 315s filling up the wheel wells

Then a couple months ago I bought a new set of tires for my Tacoma. I removed the 33x10.50s that were on the Tacoma and used one of them as the spare for the new set. That left me with 3 of them left over. As a Toyota guy I wanted to stay with some Toyota wheels so I found 3 early 4Runner alloy wheels in the right size and cleaned them up and painted them. This gave me a full set for the trailer (including a spare) that will fit a little better in the wheel wells and has less rolling resistence to improve towing.

33's giving a little more room in the fenders.

Looking forward to some wheeling/camping soon now that the weather is getting better.

jkce72

Observer
Nice. Your trailer was always kind of the blueprint I used to build mine. The new wheels and tires look great. Happy camping.

Hey Adam,

Just wanted you to know I'm about to copy your trailer so that I can more efficiently pack away the goods for my wife and two daughters.

Great work!

I think it's about 700lbs

Loaded, right? How has the trailer design held up to the rigors of "expeditioning?" It has been suggested to me to use 3/16 or 1/4" walled tubing for the frame but I feel that is overkill. So, seeing you use 1/8 is interesting. In my mind that seems plenty rigid enough.

Thanks for your comments.

Box Rocket

Thinner wall tubing is fine if you have enough crossmembers. I have never had an issue at all with mine. A lot will also depend on the amount of weight the trailer frame needs to support. 1/4" is completely overkill IMO and unneccessary and just adds a TON of unneeded weight that you now have to tow around. M416s frames are 1/8" wall and they aren't even boxed tube.

RJ40

Adventurer
Quote: " bolted a HD swivel caster to the skid so I can roll it around easier."
How big is that wheel and where did you find it....it is just about exactly what I've been looking for.

Thanks!

Cheers!!

rockwood

Adventurer
Dumb question: Where's the trailer's number plate? I need to do remount mine as the plate is all twisted from hitting the dirt......its just too low!

Box Rocket

Quote: " bolted a HD swivel caster to the skid so I can roll it around easier."
How big is that wheel and where did you find it....it is just about exactly what I've been looking for.

Thanks!

Cheers!!

The wheel is ~6" diameter. I found it at a local warehouse for ship damaged goods.

Dumb question: Where's the trailer's number plate? I need to do remount mine as the plate is all twisted from hitting the dirt......its just too low!

I don't have a number plate. It's not required in Utah for this size of trailer.

Adam, what are your thoughts on the 16 gauge sheet metal you used on the trailer? I found a couple of calculators that estimated about 52lbs for my dimensions of 48x64. Would need similar for the lid too... I'm just wondering if a lighter gauge could be used and what might be recommended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz