Here she grows again-

IXNAYXJ

Adventurer
Goodyear gave me a set of the new Kevlar MT/Rs to test out, in 37x12.50 flavor. Wheels are temporary, new set of Walker Evans 17" beadlocks should be here next week.

002.jpg

007.jpg

001.jpg

FWIW, before any of you get on my case for being too over built, this thing see almost 20k miles a year, I camp in it for over a week at a time and I can still run some of the hardest trails in the US. :)

-----Matt-----

P.S. The tires are AWESOME!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I've been considering these for my next set. I'm willing to go out on a short limb and accept a few instant credentials. Big lugs, tough sidewalls.
But my Jeep sees well over 30,000 miles a year and I'm concerned about street manners too. Before I'm able to hit the trails on the weekends or camp for a week in the wilderness, I have to drag my sorry but to work 5 days a week on twisty rural GA backroads...

Please drive on some wet roads, find some hardpack snow, maybe a little ice, and also throw in a trail report. We're counting on you.
:smiley_drive:
Thanks.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Man I love your XJ, I wish I have had a 2dr that looked like that and I've been in love with the Halo ever since I saw it on the OD XJ over on Git-Out (haven't been on there in a year or so) was that you or a buddy of yours??? I know you have the same corner protectors so you must know some of the same people.

Nice tires, what if anything have you done to your axles???

Cheers

DAve

Momrocks

Adventurer
FWIW, before any of you get on my case for being too over built, this thing see almost 20k miles a year, I camp in it for over a week at a time and I can still run some of the hardest trails in the US. :)

I wouldn't think you'll get backlash for "over built" from most around here. This community is keenly aware that nearly any level of mechanical modification to an OEM system compromises one inherent trait to strengthen another. Most around here accept that fact and tailor our rigs to best suit the way we use them. We all want the amenities of an RV, driving experience of a Porsche, payload of a Peterbilt and the off-road capability of a mountain goat. Finding an acceptable compromise is understanding your rig, your rigs use and prioritizing your desires. I love your rig and suspect it works very well for your needs.

Now get some miles on those tires and report back in full.

Last edited:

Zeero

Adventurer
These tires look interesting. I think I'm going to look into them a little more.

:victory::sombrero:

JPFreek1

Explorer
Yes Matt, please indulge us with some teaser trail report info in the near future. And for those interested, we'll be featuring a thorough review in the summer 2009 issue of JPFreek per Matt. :)

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
How does one get Goodyear to give you a set of tires to test? What do you do?

The rig looks great, and there is certainly no such thing as "over built" if you ask me

~James

IXNAYXJ

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliments on the truck. As to the tires, I spent a day out in Johnson Valley, Ca with the Goodyear folks beating them up. Here are a few pictures from that event:

132.jpg

272.jpg

071.jpg

103.jpg

027.jpg

205.jpg

055.jpg

4Rescue: Yeah, OD-XJ is a buddy of mine, although he just got rid of that XJ and is building a YJ now. The axles are HPD44 w/ alloy shafts and Detroit in front, Ford 8.8, Superior Super 88 kit, ARB.

I'll be getting these out on the trails here in the Northwest soon, and will be able to report on their performance in snow and mud soon. Stay tuned, and as Frank said, look for a more comprehensive review in an upcoming issue of JPFreek Advanture Magazine.

-----Matt-----

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior