Dodge 95' Cummins Expedition build

Scott39

Adventurer
Well I decided to build my truck more for expedition`s than rockcrawlin, But I was also thinking of building a rockcrawler later, but I probably won`t, I can have plenty of fun with this truck on the backroads.

I built my old 1985 4runner back in 1995 for my daily driver and expedition rig, and I had more fun with that than my rockcrawlers. I had a 1981 Toyota truck back in the 80`s, 1972 K5 blazer, 1988 2wd excab longbed Toyota, 1982 longbed. I use to camp out of all of them, and take them on the toughest roads they could handle, even the 2wd.
I just sold my 1990 Toyota excab 4x4 after owning it for 8 years, and bought the Dodge, more room, and tons more power.

You can do alot of miles and still go on some adventurous to hard trails with the right expedition rig, you dont need an extreme rig, just comfy.:sombrero:

So onto my build, it will be kinda of slow, alittle low on money right now, (unemployed) but I have done some things to it since I bought this truck.

Alittle about the truck of choice. I have a 1995 Dodge Cummins diesel 4x4 single cab 2500. I bought it back in October 2008 with only 124k miles on it, this engine will go 500k miles no problem, plus it does not have a computer running the engine.:wings:

It came with the SLT, and heavy duty package, which means A/C, power windows, and some other goodies.
The heavy duty part, means it came with a heavy duty tranfer case, front springs, and the coolest part, A dana 80 rearend,
4:11 gears, Limited slip.

5 spd NV4500, , with an Gear vendor overdrive (6 speed), and I can split my top 3 gears if I want, I usaully only use it for the 6th gear overdrive.

My plans were to have a rig like most, to be self sufficient in the back country, but mine will also be my daily driver. So I picked the cummins diesel, I get 20mpg, and it has a 35 gallon tank, no need to carry fuel cans, and plenty of power to get where I need to, plus reliability.

Some of my plans are.

35 inch Mt tires
ARB lockers front a rear

Multi mount Winch, I do have a new winch setting in the box from my rock crawler. I dont know why people want front and rear winches, to much weight, and money.
Topper with a rack on top.
Drawer system.

My wife and I, will sleep above the drawer system.
Onboard air, which I already have from my rock crawler build, that I`ve never used.
I will add more ideas as I think about them. I do get some ideas off of this great website, plus I had alot in my head from my old Toyota builds.
Sea Kayak on top!

Here is my truck when I first bought it.

24c5kjo.jpg

Last edited:

Scott39

Adventurer
I got this topper for free off of Craigslist! It has 2 windows broke out in the front slider, between the topper and cab.
I will probably just take out the sliders and put a boot in between the cab and topper.
Plus you can tell from the pics, it starts to rise up from the front and gets taller in the back, lots of head room.
It has carpet inside on the topper, and it needs new shocks to hold the back door up, but I love free things.

It is scratched up, but I dont care. I plan on putting Durabak Gary or white on it, I wont use black it will get to hot inside.
Durabak is a roll or spray on bedliner, it is the samething as Herculiner. I used Durabak Gray to completely cover my FJ40 landcruiser.
I`m also going to tint the windows limo 5%, plus window coverings inside, makes it real hard to see inside.

2599y5v.jpg

1zmo6bl.jpg

11h9t94.jpg

Last edited:

Scott39

Adventurer
Welcome to the Portal Scott, its Great to see more Full-Size rigs out there!!!
Enjoy!! :coffeedrink:
Thanks for the welcome.
This is a great board, my wife says sometimes I spend to much time on this board.
I was going to do a toyota again, but I have already wheeled this truck on a trail where both sides were rubbing trees at the same time.
So I figured, most of the trails I will be doing, I should fit or barely fit, plus I have tons of room in this compared to my Yota`s.

1speed

Explorer
Looks like a good base to start from. I like the power of my 01 but sometimes wish I had an older Cummins for simplicity's sake.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I think the Dodge's are taking over this part of the forum!

That looks like an EXCELLENT base to start from. I would really dig having your P-pump 175hp engine and nv4500 in my truck....lots of potential. I do like the older body style and real D60 front my truck has.

I think you can make that truck into a GREAT expedition platform.

The tinted windows are nice for not letting people see in, but I hate not being able to see out when backing up at night.....

Scott39

Adventurer
I think the Dodge's are taking over this part of the forum!

That looks like an EXCELLENT base to start from. I would really dig having your P-pump 175hp engine and nv4500 in my truck....lots of potential. I do like the older body style and real D60 front my truck has.

I think you can make that truck into a GREAT expedition platform.

The tinted windows are nice for not letting people see in, but I hate not being able to see out when backing up at night.....
I`m use to the tint, plus I drive semi`s, so I use my mirrors most of the time.
I do plan on swapping in an older dana 60, or beefing mine up to 35 spline chromoly axle`s and lockout hubs.
The Dodge Cummins is a great platform for an expedition rig, thats why they might be taking over.:smiley_drive:

Last edited:

Scott39

Adventurer
Welcome to ExPo..:wavey:
Nice to see anohter 2nd Gen Ram around here.
Thank you. The 2nd gen is one of the best rigs around the world.
Reliable, cheaper than a new truck, and lots of life still left in them, plus good mpg.

Last edited:

Scott39

Adventurer
Some cool stuff. The winch is only a 9500, but with a snatch block it should do the job.

2qlzxa8.jpg

180u1w.jpg

And my new on board air, Oasis! It will give me more than enough air.
This can be ran 12 volts, or 24 volts.
At 12 volts, 8 cfm at 100 psi. and 14 cfm at 0 psi. and has a 200 max psi. with an 80-90% duty cycle.:Wow1:

2i1jhmt.jpg

Scott39

Adventurer
Maybe they will start a Dodge only section on here just like the Toyota, Land rover, Nissan, Jeep, etc. sections. :safari-rig:

Last edited:

Scott39

Adventurer
Well I put the 35" Extreme MT pro comps on, I got a great deal, 35x12.5x17 $220, and not from 4wheel parts either.

I did put the MT tires on my 2006 stock wheels, but they rub the control arms real bad, Thats because the stock wheels are 17x8`s with a 6 inch back space.
They look good though.

142wygg.jpg

v2y0iq.jpg

So I had to buy some new wheels. I`ve had these wheels before on my 1990 Toyota truck for 6 years, and they still looked good when I sold the truck.
17 x 8 with a 4 inch back spacing, they were only $83 each, and they look great on the Dodge, plus no more rubbing.:jumping:

28vdnnp.jpg

2r74n5z.jpg

219ue7b.jpg

2rh0hvb.jpg

huntsonora

Explorer
Great truck! I just bought a 94 that has the exact same specs as your truck. Its being delivered tomorrow.

Have you had those tires on long enough to see how it effects your mileage? These trucks came from the factory with 16" rims didnt they? I like your rims, are those from the current Dodge diesels?

I will definately be putting a leveling kit and some beefier tires on it as soon as the tires that are on it need replacing.

Have you done any modifications to the cummins? Some people are switching out the fuel plates and put much larger filters on their intake. I am very hesitant to do anything to the engine, its difficult to improve on one of the best engines ever made

HS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke