Ozark National Forest

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Well, this is a trip I took about two weekends ago, but just now having the time to put the photos together.

The day consisted of paved roads on the way, then probably about 80% dirt roads in the National Forest as we headed back towards home.

Along the way we saw a lot of pretty sites. We went through a few towns that were deep in the Ozarks, easily more than an hour to a larger town. The towns looked like time had forgotten them. General Stores of the nature you would have found decades ago, still hanging on to life. Unfortunately, I did not snap any pictures of the general stores...

A lot of interesting places, and a few I want to take a second look at.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Watch tower

Probably one of the highlights of the day, aside from the natural beauty, was finding an old forest service fire lookout. At the base of it there were ruins of some foundations, and what looks like a setup to service vehicles on, built into the side of the hill.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Also we found a swinging bridge that crossed a river. We took pics of the bridge but didn't dare to get on it, both because I think it would have scared me pretty good from the swinging and because I believe it led to private land.

We also passed a mountain with a vertical rock face that may seem mild compared to the likes of Colorado, Utah and such, but for Arkansas, it was quite unexpected to see something of that scale here. The picture doesn't really do it justice.

Some other highlights were a waterfall beside a NF Campground that is a MUST to return to, and several old single lane bridges. The one I snapped a pic of kind of snuck up on me (I turned around to get the picture) as I rounded a curve actually carrying some speed and saw a one lane bridge. Luckily, I was the only vehicle on the road for miles... Still, lesson learned...

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Beautiful David!

I've always heard about the Ozarks from family who live in SW Missouri, but I haven't been there. It looks like really beautiful country, with an emphasis on "country."

And I mean that in the nicest way possible. The west is great but there is a lot to be said for exploring out in the country back east. Like finding the watchtower and little hollers... And you guys have some snow too already, nice!

Cool trip, photos and write up. Glad to see diaper duty hasn't curtailed your wanderings! :smiley_drive:

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Yeah, we took the Pig Trail up to around the Mulberry River. We took a few side roads before that, and after that we hit the Ozark Highlands trail.

We rode that for a while before we ended up back on the banks of the Mulberry. From there we headed back east alternating between running on the ridgelines and down in the 'hollers' and came out on 123.

We stopped at the Haw Creek campgrounds, then on up to 7, and down in to Russelville for some Feltners Whattaburger!

It was a nice day trip. I hope to do a similar trip again and fit in some camping too...

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Wow! I'm from Russellville! Been to Whataburger several times.

Yep, MANY years ago some friends and I took a lil road trip into that area. There are dirt roads that'll offer some beautiful scenery!

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Yeah I remember you saying you from there. I figured you would appreciate the Whattaburger reference. For those that have heard of the chain Whattaburger, this is not part of that chain. It is an entity unto itself, and it is some GOOOD eats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior