HDJ 80 - evolution from original to….

Big Blue

Observer
Hi All,

I am new to this forum - so I start by saying hello to everyone.

Here is the story of my traveller – the Toyo is almost finished – the evolution from original to….

January 2008 – 100% org. 1.hand –120000miles
3365486.jpg

…2 month later: with 5” snake racing suspension, Cooper STT 315/75/16, intercooler (200hp/500nm)
3365488.jpg

…October – 325/80/16 on MT 10x16, 4.56 axel ratio, ARB + Warn, Long Ranger, Snorkel
3365490.jpg

…the plan for the body…
3365585.jpg

…and the “little cut”…
3365587.jpg

…in February 2009…
3365588.jpg

…some hours later…
3365668.jpg

….and later…
3365626.jpg

…and later…
3365627.jpg

more photos & infos coming soon

JMPC

Observer
Fantastic!

Hi Big Blue

I must congratulate you, first class job. :wings: I have a Nissan Patrol and was thinking of doing the same thing.

Makes perfect sense. You´re hard pressed to find a better truck but as they don´t come as pick-ups this is the only way to make them into a single unit for expedition travel - I am surprised that more people don't do this. Well done!

The quality of work looks excellent too. I have questions...

What experince do you have? It looks as though you perhaps work in this type of field?

Is the pop-up roof a complete unit that you purchased or did you make it all yourself? If all yourself, where did you source your ideas and materials from?

What is the body made out of? Is it fibre- glass? If so, how did you lay the glass matt - over plywood?

Please give info on the contruction method of the walls and the frame -I am very interested in this.

I think you have made yourself a camper that is close to being perfect.

Toyota, so bullit proof reliability - (Not something you get with a demountable on a landrover for example) and small enough to go anywhere - unlike unimog or other lorries.

Absolutly superb - Pics of the inside please!

All the best
JMPC

ps - I have just finished a self build trailer - see "self build camper trailer" also in this section, about 2 threads before yours.

Last edited:

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I think we've seen pictures of your truck before posted by others. I was speechless then, and again, I'm speechless. Quite a vision you had there, and the gonads it takes to chop in half an otherwise pristine 80 is something I don't possess. Great job. Pics of the interior would be nice, as well as some construction method details. Thanks

Spence

KEENO

Adventurer
Welcome & Awesome Stefan!

I believe I've also drooled over your talent & truck over on Soenke's build thread. (2) incredible overlanding vehicles.... For Sure!

KEENO:Wow1:

Last edited:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hello Stefan,

Thank you for joining and posting photos of your great traveller !
I have seen some of the postings on the German Offroad forum and enjoyed seeing the great work that Marcus does. You must be very happy with the result. It looks great. I really like how you have full access to the driver's area from the camper. Soenke is here, too, I am sure you know. He has been very helpful in answering everyone's questions about his camper.

Frank

Hi All,

I am new to this forum - so I start by saying hello to everyone.

Here is the story of my traveller – the Toyo is almost finished – the evolution from original to….

<snip>

more photos & infos coming soon

Last edited:

Big Blue

Observer
Thanks fort the „hello“

Spence , keeno – you are right – there are some pictures at Sönke´s Thread. Interior will be finished end of January, I still must build the watertank, do some wiring and paint everything

@ JMPC – it´s my design – body is build by Marcus Haase - http://www.off-road-schmiede.com - everything else by myself. The body is a 3mm aluminium frame with 30mm fibreglass sandwich – and sorry – I can´t give your more details about the construction. You can see it on the pics, that every piece of the frame is handmade – so the real secret is not the construction, it`s time and the experience of Marcus.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
That is incredible. I so wish we had someone that would/could build something like that here. That is my dream for my 80.

Jack

450 DUDE

Adventurer
WOW!!!

That is one fine bit of work! I might have to buy another 80 to cut up.

I would love to see interior shots!

Once again great job!:bowdown:
ken

Big Blue

Observer
…the interior needs some work and i don´t have time at the moment – so no details, just impressions…

…bed 140 x 160 or 210 x 160
3368466.jpg

3368516.jpg

...2 seats (l/r) behind the frontseats (street legal)
3368520.jpg

3368522.jpg

3368524.jpg

3369058.jpg

Last edited:

soenke

Adventurer
Moin Stefan,

you build a nice interior meanwhile! And what a giant freeze :Wow1:, what about water-supplies, sink, filter, etc and cooking? More pics please ...

When are you are you going to leave for the long journey?

Big Blue

Observer
…hot/cold water
3371060.jpg

…engel on slider…
3371061.jpg

…under the box…
3371106.jpg

…the viair…
3371062.jpg

…2 in1 – bumper and airtank
3371065.jpg

3371066.jpg

…on the other side – place for spare wheel – on slider
3371063.jpg

…and the airtronic…
3371064.jpg

...what about water-supplies...cooking?...

When are you are you going to leave for the long journey?

Moin Sönke
watertank etc in January...cooking only outside - and maybe Sep/Oct, first i have to finish my project...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior