dyogim's 00 tundra build

dyogim

Explorer
My truck has been a work in progress since the day I got it back in 2000. Anyways, you can read the progress here from then until now here: http://dyogim.blogspot.com

In more recent updates, I'm currently working on doing away with all the push button/ADD/electronic 4WD set-up. Beginning of 09 I started having issues with my 4LO. 4HI worked but, for some reason everytime I pushed the button for 4LO, the indicator blinks. Prior to the 08/09 winter season, it worked with no issues. So, I figure bad actuator at the tcase.

Mid summer, I went wheelin' and without 4LO, 4HI was working the drivetrain too much to the put where my trans temp light came on. I figured due to the slow movement and high rpm's things got too hot. After that trip, I installed an e-fan directly to the tranny cooler.

Instead of trying to fix the actuator on the tcase, my plans are to swap out the auto tcase for a manual tcase. The tcase I'm getting is from a 2.7 taco/runner 00-03. Which is 21 spline. The tundra is 23. Supposedly, the tcase found on the V6's of the same model/year use the same casing as the 2.7. The only difference between the two, is the outshaft length and spline count. If the tcase found on the tundra also has the same casing, I'll be removing the output out of mine and swapping it into the manual tcase.

Once the tcase arrives, I'll start the teardown and comparison. I'll try and take as much pics as I can and keep this thread updated....

Doc Mayhem

Observer
That is a great looking truck. I don't know if it helps, but the Tundra's that had a manual transmission also had a manual transfer case. I never liked my electronic transfer case. I fail to see what is so hard about pulling a lever.

dyogim

Explorer
That is a great looking truck. I don't know if it helps, but the Tundra's that had a manual transmission also had a manual transfer case. I never liked my electronic transfer case. I fail to see what is so hard about pulling a lever.

Yes I was thanks!

Manual trannys for the tundras were only found on the V6 models. Which, the tcases for thoses should be the same as the v6 tacos/runners of the same year. However, may have different input shaft lengths. The tcases for those are the same for 2.7's except, the out put shafts are different, 23 vs 21 and the 2.7's had a shorter input shaft.

I don't know if the tcase on the V8 tundra auto (VF2BM) is the same case as the V6's/2.7's. I'll know when I get the tcase delivered to me tomorrow...

Last edited:

dyogim

Explorer
I blame this light upgrade on 01tundra because of his LED upgrades. THANKS! LOL!!!

I've gone through many aux. lights but, none of the high end stuff. I just couldn't afford them. So, this upgrade may be for those wanting a good set of aux lights without breaking the bank on HID's.

I've always liked my previous set-up of my Hella 500's. Had a pair of fogs to light up the road directly in front of me with a wide beam pattern. And a pair of driving lights to light up the road furter down. Fog lens broke and I upgraded the driving lights to Hella 700's. With the 700's I upgraded to the HID Raptor kit from DDMTuning.com. Light output improved but, I still needed my fog set-up and the 700's are not offered in a fog pattern. I was looking through the list of products from Hella and which fog's I could use the HID kit with using H3 bulbs. Came across a pair of Hella Micro DE's on craigslist for $50. Took out the 700's, bolted the micro DE's and installed the HID kit. Turned on the switch and the light output and pattern, is exactly what I was looking for. The micro DE's light up the sides a lot more and with the HID kit, are very bright. The micro DE's also have an integrated cutoff within the housing. This way, I can actually run these lights while I'm driving on the street. They shouldn't blind/annoy other drivers as the cutoff is level to the stock headlight cutoff. I might have my brother drive in front of me to see if the lights are blinding/annoying. If they are, point them lower or only turn them on in the backroads or on those lonely highways....

I was worried about thieves trying to steal my new set-up. So, I relocated the micro's from the pre-runner bumper and installed them into my front grill. Here are a few pics of them installed. I'll post up night pics when I get a chance this week.

P4251425.JPG

P4251419.JPG

P4251423.JPG

Last edited:

rambrush

Adventurer
Are we all abandoning ship and running over here?
The lights are looking good interesting to see what they look like at night.

dyogim

Explorer
Are we all abandoning ship and running over here?
The lights are looking good interesting to see what they look like at night.

LOL!!! No plans to leave TS. This place has been great with the change in interest on how I want my rig set-up. Lot's of great info and members here.

Anyways, here's the night pics:

Stock headlights:
P4261428.JPG

Hella micro DE's with ddmtuning hid raptor kit:
P4261426.JPG

Both
P4261427.JPG

Both
P4261430.JPG

Hella micro DE's with ddmtuning hid raptor kit:
P4261429.JPG

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
A manual T-case swap will be interesting to watch. I've not yet have gotten comfortable with the push button engagement on my Tundra. Sure it works fine, but after decades of pullin' a handle I just sort of automatically reach for the T-case lever by default. Makes for some comical remarks from the family when I'm trying to engage a lever that isn't there.

Anyways, it's good to see a thread for your truck on the ExPo, it's one of my favorites.

dyogim

Explorer
A manual T-case swap will be interesting to watch. I've not yet have gotten comfortable with the push button engagement on my Tundra. Sure it works fine, but after decades of pullin' a handle I just sort of automatically reach for the T-case lever by default. Makes for some comical remarks from the family when I'm trying to engage a lever that isn't there.

Anyways, it's good to see a thread for your truck on the ExPo, it's one of my favorites.

Thanks! I'm enjoying the build on your rig as well. With two kids I need to get the rig set-up for family camping trips and long hauls. Thinking about lowering the rig about an inch. When these MT's wear out, if I can't get a good deal on another MT set, I'll get AT's. The 35" mickey thompson MTZ's I got for a steal at $200 for all four, used with 80% tread left. :Wow1:

The manual tcase project is taking it's time:sombrero: With the newborn and all the other house projects and smaller truck projects, it's hard to take time for the tcase. Still waiting on one particular part for the tcase. Otherwise, I'll need to tear down my stock one for the part I'm looking for. Don't want to do that since, my rig is my daily driver. So, maintenance items are on the top of the list...

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
I'm "01tundra" over here......

Yeah, what's up with that? Confuse the crap outta people....

Mike, as always, that's one of my favorite Tundras....well yours and JJ, er, 01Tundras. Awesome truck and looking forward to more pics. Is it difficult to lift a car seat that high for the newborn?

dyogim

Explorer
Is it difficult to lift a car seat that high for the newborn?

Not too difficult but, definitely harder than using the camry. Our 4 yr old hops onto the sliders and climbs in. She uses the term "rock climbing" when she does this. LOL!

dyogim

Explorer
Recently upgraded my bench seat to buckets and a center console. Still not sure what I want to do about the center console and what I can install in it's place or what.... we'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

I think I'm finally good with my aux light changes. Added some lights to the roof rack to help light up the bed and it's surroundings better. Had a pair of the cheapo wally mart lights laying around but, wired them up using a relay and not with the kit it came with. The 12v switch for the relay is tied to the cargo light button inside the cab. This way , the lights turn on when I open the door and automatically shutoff when the doors shut. Plus I didn't have to wire up another switch. It's all controlled with the cargo button. When I first installed them, I had some LED H3 bulbs in them. They weren't bright enough so, I went back to the 55W halogens. I'll probably go down to 35W, if I can find them locally. Here's the pics. Last pic is a night shot of the LED's.

P5241455.JPG

P5241454.JPG

P5241443.JPG

P5241445.JPG

P5241446.JPG

P5241447.JPG

Here's the LED bulbs. Light output is very poor. The factory cargo light is brighter. :td:
P5231440.JPG

dyogim

Explorer
Looking at getting my hands on one of these in the near future, Smittybilt XRC10 electric winch. For now, I'll keep the steel cable and hook then, swap it our for a synthetic line, different hook and aluminum fairlead. Hopefully, I won't need a new bumper

45_1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles