ready welder

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I had a chance to see this welder up close and personal, while we were up in Alaska last summer with the ACT06 Alaska Cruiser Trek. Mark Whatley used it to weld two sets of springs. He used bateries located in a BJ74 (24V) for one weld session, then on another welding session the AK Crew used two 12v batteries in series laying on the ground... I was impressed how easy and well it workd - no real adjustments on the welder.

If you can find a Toyota 4X4 owner mag. there is a great review of a few of the more popular portable welders and how they operate.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Desertdude said:
If you can find a Toyota 4X4 owner mag. there is a great review of a few of the more popular portable welders and how they operate.

I think Peter Parks wrote that article, his review is posted on his site here.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I've enjoyed mine... I don't have the Naval pack (overkill for most), I have the RW10250, which I have built cables for the 12V & 24V use... Great products, one of those "if I carry it I won't need it type things" :D

IronViking

I read an article where a guy added a mack truck alt. to
his little car for a welder. Samethingas with the readyweld, he made it a seperate 24 volt system just for the welder and made a bracket to hold the extra alt and use the stock belt.
Any one ever done this?
Thanks
Sean

AndrewP

Explorer
Don't have one, but want one!

Anyway, I've seen them used twice to amazing great effect. It's a real trip saver. Both times were were out in the middle of long trails, where real help was more than a day away.

Every group run should have one.

Superu

Explorer
This is the unit I like to power that gun

controllbox_2008.jpg
:drool:

lowenbrau

Explorer
I love the ready welder and I have used lots of on board welders. Its particularly useful if you drive a 24V vehicle. The nice thing is you can carry it from rig to rig and often and reconfigure the batteries in the broken rig to run it without jockeying a lot of rigs on the trail. ''

The following break happened four days from the nearest road. The recovery would have been 'epic' without it.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Superu said:

That is the best system out there. Premier Power Welders are awesome. The owner is Pat Gremillion, I have never heard a bad word about the man. He is awesome to deal with and the customer service is top notch. He's always the first to lend a hand on the trail. If your in the market for a OBW system look em up!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I have a ready welder and have had it for years. That thing will burn some metal. It has been used to weld leaf springs back together, suspension parts and weld up broken diffs. As others have said when you are out there, it makes all the difference in the world.

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94