Project Overlander-Build Thread

alexfm

Explorer
Hi everyone. I've been lurking here on the forum for a little while, and finally picked this forum to host my build thread. :) First, basic stats.

1995 Jeep Cherokee 2 door SE
-AX15 Manual Tranny
-NP231 Transfer Case
-4.0L Motor
-Somewhere around 231,000 miles.

Plans-
Short Term:
- Lighting - Done! And then some. :ylsmoke:
- Fix Electrical Issues/Install Dash Clock and New Speakers - Partially done, installed new Pioneer speakers in the rear speaker bar, door speakers soon.
- Redo Exhaust - Done. New CherryBomb Turbo muffler installed.
- Remove Rear Carpeting
- Remove Rust Over the Windshield
- Replace O-Rings in Oil Filter Adapter - Done. No more Oil Leaks. :wings:
- "Pimp Out" interior to my liking (New Seats, Belts, Carpet?, Dash and Interior Lighting, Storage) - Coming along well. Slight change in the original plan, but will still have a hard deck, based of theksmith's design. Actually, its an almost identical copy... but hey, imitation is the best form of flattery right? :D
- Roof Top Spare Mount - Scrapped this idea for now.

Long Term-
-Lift - Changed plans yet again- 2" Budget Boost lift, with spacers all around. :snorkel: Just waiting on time to install. May happen soon.
-Tires - Done. (235/75/15) GT Radial Adventuro M/T's on Wrangler steelies. Love em, so far. Havent done too much off road, but they track well in loose sand and dirt.
-Bumpers (Maybe, Im not 100% committed to this yet) - Looking at getting a Dirtbound Offroad Winch Bumper.
-Tire Carrier (Detour's Tailbone) Probably scrapping this idea too, unless I can come across a factory tire carrier.
-Fridge (Thinking Engel, maybe ARB) Eventually.
- Lockers (Detroit [Or similar] Rear and ARB Front)
- Full Cage - Hoping to buy a cage kit soon, but will be modifying it and the interior to suit my tastes. :sombrero:

Very Long Term
-Offroad Trailer
-Rusty's Front Fiberglass Fenders

Most Recent Picture:
March 2012
GEDC0415.jpg

The first real (to me at least) mod I did was fix my rear dome light switch. the old push button was melted together, and I replaced it with a blue rocker switch. Yesterday, I decided I wanted to pull my front bumper. An hour an several broken bolts later, I had it off.
StrippedBumper.jpg

I then sanded it down some, more like I scuffed the surface, and I primed it.
Primed.jpg

And thats where Im at now. I also got some fog lights yesterday at Harbor Freight. They were on sale for $9.99, so I figured, what the hell.
Cheapo9FogLights.jpg

I just have on question for all of you. What should I do to the bumper? Im thinking about just painting it black again, but I also thought about coating it in bedliner, or even powder coating it. Im not sure how long I will have a stock front bumper, I plan to fabricate or have one fabricated for me down the line.

Alex.

Last edited:

alexfm

Explorer
Oh, and just for kicks, here's a pictue after I stripped almost everything off my front end to get the stupid bumper off. :) I should research first. :)
NakedfrontEnd.jpg

Waytec

Adventurer
So when you realized it was only the 3 bolts on each side what was the first word that came to mind?

I would just paint it black or the same as the body with rattle can and put it back on. You will be changing it so go with the cheap option for now.

What are you studying in school?

mudbutt

Explorer
Welcome to the madness.....

The Ace Hardware where I live sells rattle cans of black wrinkle paint. I used it for my roof rack and liked it. Might look good on a bumper, it'll hide small dings and scratches.

Has to be fairly warm when you use it tho, or it won't wrinkle up.

alexfm

Explorer
So when you realized it was only the 3 bolts on each side what was the first word that came to mind?

I would just paint it black or the same as the body with rattle can and put it back on. You will be changing it so go with the cheap option for now.

What are you studying in school?

There were a few expletives that came to mind, yea. My dad told me afterward that I cold of just undone the 3 bolts and take the brackets off after. :)

I think that I will just paint it for now. I was at O'Reillys yesterday night, buying a switch for foglights, and saw a Herculiner setup. too bad I dont have the $90 to buy it. :)

Im working towards being a History major.

alexfm

Explorer
Welcome to the madness.....

The Ace Hardware where I live sells rattle cans of black wrinkle paint. I used it for my roof rack and liked it. Might look good on a bumper, it'll hide small dings and scratches.

Has to be fairly warm when you use it tho, or it won't wrinkle up.
I'll look into that. I may just paint it black for now, and the do the wrikle paint when it warms up around here. I like the cold, its just a real pain the you know where when it comes to painting. :)

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Paint it black. You'll get a new front bumper for sure anyways. Plus I've been rattlecanning my black bumpers on my 1996 for a long time and if you do it right (such as priming like you are) it'll last a long time and touch ups are easy! - just cover with newspaper and respray to make all the rock chips go away

alexfm

Explorer
Bumper is painted, Im waiting for the second layer of clear to dry, then I'll put on the fog lights, and reinstall it.

alexfm

Explorer
Painted! I laid down a second coat of clear and just put on the fog lights.
PaintedLit.jpg

And A close up of the paint. There are a few finger prints and a smudge on the drivers side, but Im planning on covering them up with some stickers, and some more clear on top of them. :)
PaintedLitCloseup.jpg

alexfm

Explorer
Ok, I got the bumper on today. It took about 2 hours, and there was plenty of sweat, cursing and a little blood. :) But I finally got it on. The grill shell and headlight buckets arent on yet, I still gotta wire the fog lights, and I plan to run them with the factory harness for the headlights. Pictures will be up tonight or tommorrow morning.

alexfm

Explorer
UPDATE!

So, I may have gone to the Pick & Pull today, and just might have come home with a bunch of stuff. I got a dash clock, factory Fog Light/Rear window wiper swith set, an overhead console out of a 96, Some sort of home made battery hold down thing, an antenna to replace the one I dont have, a wiring harness for a hood light that I dont have yet, a broken fan shroud, another shifter boot, and I believe thats all. Im hoping to go back and see if I cant find a fancy autodimming, temperature sensing, compass enabled rearview mirror out of a Tahoe. :) And the best part of this, it all came out to $29.17! Ha!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
lol. these "project names" crack me up.

Why is it that we need to give our threads a project name? Cactus red, the frog, ArcAngel...

can't it just be, here's my Jeep cherokee and how I plan to build it?

I'm all about naming cars if they are quirky or something, but its like we need to validate our efforts by naming them.

anywho, good junkyard find.

go over to naxja.org

Everything you're thinking about doing, or have already done, has been done thousands of times already. Lots of info, how-to's and mistakes to learn from over there.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
By the way. all poking fun aside. what rear axle do you have?

if its a dana35, I have a Dynatrac cover that you can have for free...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste