Superu Phase II

Superu

Explorer
For those of you who've followed the build of the Superu over the past couple of years, this picture may come as a surprise.

cleansuperu.jpg

No, this is not an old picture. This is the start of the decal removal process as I decide on the next best look for Phase II of Superu development.

Here's a before shot:

P4195240.JPG

I'm thinking flat black all around with tinted glass and black painted alloys may be a good look. ;)

Also, rethinking the interior and may do some re-design of the communications setup and storage area as well as finally getting around to installing the tranny cooler and a less restrictive exhaust system. I tend to like the sound of a boxer engine without resonators "smoothing" out the exhaust note.

Last edited:

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Surprise it is. I didn't recognize your vehicle without the decals.

Is there a ghost image in the areas where the decals used to cover? Or did that polish and wax right out and blend in perfectly?

Superu

Explorer
Surprise it is. I didn't recognize your vehicle without the decals.

Is there a ghost image in the areas where the decals used to cover? Or did that polish and wax right out and blend in perfectly?

There was a bit of residual adhesive, but nothing a bit of PB Blaster and glass cleaner couldn't clear up. The color match for the paint seems unaffected, though I'll probably buff it until I decide what to do next. Still have the passenger side to do next.

I'm thinking about going Dupli-Color TRG250 spray on bedliner on the whole car. :ylsmoke: There's a guy on IWSTI that rattle canned his WRX STI with it and I like the look.

RhinoDone7.jpg

If I go that route, I may spring for the spray gun from Summit designed for this stuff. Certainly wouldn't have to worry much about rock chips!

Never a dull moment at this house! :Wow1:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Just be aware the Duplicolor bedliner has a rep for piss poor adhesion and durability. Definitely different situation in a paint app but regardless. Also most bedliners have poor UV qualities so they look good at first but fade quickly. Also if it helps Durabak and Herculiner are exactly the same product as well and also similar situation. I hope it helps...

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I'm curious how much weight would you be adding by putting the rubberized coating over the whole car?
I guess in the grand scheme of things, even if it is an extra 100 pounds, that's still a lot less than everything else you'd load inside the car for a long trip...

Still a bit interesting though!

Superu

Explorer
Just be aware the Duplicolor bedliner has a rep for piss poor adhesion and durability. Definitely different situation in a paint app but regardless. Also most bedliners have poor UV qualities so they look good at first but fade quickly. Also if it helps Durabak and Herculiner are exactly the same product as well and also similar situation. I hope it helps...

Thanks Andre. I appreciate the feedback. Any suggestions on getting the best adhesion other than proper sanding to prep the surface?

I'm not too concerned with fading if I go this route as my project cars tend to be extensions of my creative expression as well as functional for my needs.

Perhaps a semigloss clear coat on top of it would help protect it. It's going to be a home/garage DIY project so I'm not expecting stellar results since auto painting is not my forte. :ylsmoke:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Keep the dark color only in upper latitudes though. I can only imagine the heat of that thing in a Phoenix summer.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Is that what is referred to as , murdered? (Blacked out)
What is the thought behind that sort of scheme? To me it would be way too hot and hard to clean.
Painted dirt color would be preferable in my book. Flat or satin is nice sometimes, but shiny and smooth is better for reduced drag and cleaning.

el-cid

Observer
I'd have to agree I wouldn't cover the car with bedliner for all the reasons already brought up. It will add some weight, it'll probably look pretty shabby after a few years, it'll never come off (I guess not a big deal if you keep the car until you die, but it'll kill the resale value) and personally I think it'd look bad. I've got to wonder what would possess you to paint it flat black over your original decal scheme. I plan on building up an Outback modeled after your car in a few years but I won't be following you into the flat black/bedliner phase for sure. C'mon you're breaking my heart here:eek:.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Why flat paint? Seems to me it would be very difficult to do and it would look "unfinished" (as in "nice priming job. When're you gonna paint it?")

Quite a few motorcycles over the last 10 years or so have been coming out in a flat gray or black paint jobs and I think it's hideous.

Heck, if you're going to paint with flat paint, why not just camouflage it? :sombrero:

jim65wagon

Why flat paint? Seems to me it would be very difficult to do and it would look "unfinished" (as in "nice priming job. When're you gonna paint it?")

Quite a few motorcycles over the last 10 years or so have been coming out in a flat gray or black paint jobs and I think it's hideous.

Heck, if you're going to paint with flat paint, why not just camouflage it? :sombrero:

See, I like the look of suede.....street rods, muscle cars, pickup trucks, maybe even Subarus all look very cool, muscular and ready to rock in a nice coat of flat primer.

I wouldn't run the bedliner for paint, but I see nothing wrong with a well done primer look...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior