Non-Mitsubishi Montero?

aikane

Observer
I'm curious if there are any non-Mitsubishi Monteros/Pajeros out there. By that, I mean non-Mitsubishi drivetrains (Chevy, Toyota, etc).

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'm curious if there are any non-Mitsubishi Monteros/Pajeros out there. By that, I mean non-Mitsubishi drivetrains (Chevy, Toyota, etc).

Oh, I thought you were talking about the Hyundai Galloper, a 1st gen Pajero built under license in Korea.

1994_HYUNDAI_GALLOPER_LHD_USED_CAR.jpg

Justice R

Adventurer
Yes

There are 3 or more guys over on 4x4 wire that run the 4.3 Chevy Vortec V6. They are running the Eng./trans/t-case out of a parted blazer.

There's not much need to swap out the diffs unless you decide to go SAS and then you can leave the rear end if you can find a front with a close enough ratio. The rear ends in the mitsu's are pretty stout.

The Most common swap for the 4 CYL models is the turbo'd 2.6 out of the Starion but that's not non-mitsu.

aikane

Observer
There are 3 or more guys over on 4x4 wire that run the 4.3 Chevy Vortec V6. They are running the Eng./trans/t-case out of a parted blazer.

There's not much need to swap out the diffs unless you decide to go SAS and then you can leave the rear end if you can find a front with a close enough ratio. The rear ends in the mitsu's are pretty stout.

The Most common swap for the 4 CYL models is the turbo'd 2.6 out of the Starion but that's not non-mitsu.
Cool, I gotta check those out. I'm actually pondering dropping a Toyota 5mge into an '87 Montero.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Shoving inline 6 into short Monty engine bay is going to be interesting exercise.
Looking for a hard way?
X2...

I gotta say if you want to go to all this trouble find a small I4 Turbo Diesel like a 1KZ-t or go with the Starion Turbo option if you wantto stay with a gasser.

Another REALLY good option would be the 3.0 Mitsu V6 that Crysler used in their 1st Gen Caravans (mini-vans) our Caravan from 1987 ran 320K on the original motor and it had PLENTY of power. I never really see this done, but then Mitsu's get kind of left out in the cold here in NA (unfortunatley cause they're a really good truckfor sure. There are tons of these (Caravans) in Junk Yards and next to Toyota, Mitsu makes some of the most mechanicaly sound motors in the business. The only issues we ever had were with the CryCo Transmission and it still ran till 250K before giving up the ghost. I don't specificaly know of a 5sp manual you could use, but I';d imagine an NVG4500 might be made to match up with an adaptor.

Just my .02 ya know. Your money my view eh.

Cheers

Dave

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Shoving inline 6 into short Monty engine bay is going to be interesting exercise.
Looking for a hard way?
X2...

I gotta say if you want to go to all this trouble find a small I4 Turbo Diesel like a 1KZ-t or go with the Starion Turbo option if you wantto stay with a gasser.

Another REALLY good option would be the 3.0 Mitsu V6 that Crysler used in their 1st Gen Caravans (mini-vans) our Caravan from 1987 ran 320K on the original motor and it had PLENTY of power. I never really see this done, but then Mitsu's get kind of left out in the cold here in NA (unfortunatley cause they're a really good truckfor sure. There are tons of these (Caravans) in Junk Yards and next to Toyota, Mitsu makes some of the most mechanicaly sound motors in the business. The only issues we ever had were with the CryCo Transmission and it still ran till 250K before giving up the ghost. I don't specificaly know of a 5sp manual you could use, but I';d imagine an NVG4500 might be made to match up with an adaptor.

Cheers

Dave

Justice R

Adventurer
X2...

Cheers

Dave

The 3.0 mitsu engine that crysler used in the Minivans (6G72) is the same block and heads used in the 3.0 Montero's. So If going that route would be best to start with one that already has that engine in it (89-93).

PhyrraM

Adventurer
I always thought a good swap candidate for a Gen 1 would be a 3.8 Ford V6 from the TBird SuperCoupe and a F150/Bronco trans and transfer case.

210HP and 315ft/lbs before any tuning or tweaking (230/330 for the rarer '94/'95 models). The 3.8 shares a bellhousing with the 302/5.0/351W so transmission and transfercase options exsist. Not as compact as the GM 2.8/3.1, but I'm sure there would be no problems with a Gen1 engine bay. Good reliabity once you ditch the OEM graphite/composite headgaskets for the new MLS ones. There is a small, but dedicated, following that has the knowhow and parts to take these things close to 500HP if you feel the need. You can pick up a donor Tbird SC for dirt cheap.

aikane

Observer
Wow,:Wow1:....well first of all I said "pondering" the swap. The Toyota guys swap this engine in place of the 22r all the time, and the engine bay is about the same size.
Secondly, I know there are easier engines to swap in, but the 5mge(8x,xxx miles) is what I have access to. It's the "build what you got" theory.
Lastly, the Montero, which is not running(head issues, big surprise), is being offered to me for free. The 5mge is coming out of a Cressida that I got for free, as well.
I have projected a $1500 budget for this venture. Parting out the Cressida has payed for a flywheel and bellhousing already, so I'm already ahead budget-wise. If I change my mind, I can always drop the 5mge into a Toyota truck, so no loss to me.:victory:

Owyhee H

Adventurer
I would say go for it but that is a tight budget. You are way ahead with the rig and engine already. I had an 85 Montero and it was just about the funnest rig Ive owned. It wasn't fast, but neither is my 4runner, it just went. The suspension seat is really comfortable, the vehicles suspension is STOUT, and with the limited slip in the rear of mine the thing would go anywhere. The visibility is great in the montero and Ill bet you couldnt keep a smile off your face if you get it running and can wheel it. If you have nothing else to do get to work and have some fun!!!

aikane

Observer
Well here's my projected budget, keep in mind I'm in Hawaii and shipping cost can be ridiculous.

Bellhousing and flywheel.................$200
Tranny and transfer case...............$300
Clutch kit....................................$200
Driveshafts..................................$400
Misc...........................................$400

I'm underbudget on the bell/flywheel and the tranny/t.c.
I found a local shop that can do the driveshafts, so that should help keep the cost down. But I doubt I can meet the misc. budget.
The exhaust is on the same side, so shouldn't be a problem. The Montero weighs about the same as a Cressida, so power should be sufficient. Should be interesting though.:coffeedrink:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I always thought a good swap candidate for a Gen 1 would be a 3.8 Ford V6 from the TBird SuperCoupe and a F150/Bronco trans and transfer case.

210HP and 315ft/lbs before any tuning or tweaking (230/330 for the rarer '94/'95 models). The 3.8 shares a bellhousing with the 302/5.0/351W so transmission and transfercase options exsist. Not as compact as the GM 2.8/3.1, but I'm sure there would be no problems with a Gen1 engine bay. Good reliabity once you ditch the OEM graphite/composite headgaskets for the new MLS ones. There is a small, but dedicated, following that has the knowhow and parts to take these things close to 500HP if you feel the need. You can pick up a donor Tbird SC for dirt cheap.

Why would you want that much HP? It's not very useful off road and well running that onroad is a waste on this rig IMHO. It's a 4x4 not a sports car but again that my opinion and I'm also of the opinion to each their own.:victory:

PhyrraM

Adventurer
Why would you want that much HP? It's not very useful off road and well running that onroad is a waste on this rig IMHO. It's a 4x4 not a sports car but again that my opinion and I'm also of the opinion to each their own.:victory:

If I was to ever do it, mine would be stock power levels. I was just pointing out where you could go, if one had the desire. The cost/performance ratio, especially the easy torque, is what I think makes that particular combo stand out.

I suppose the GM Supercharged V6 (L67) from the Bonerville and some Buicks along with the proper GM trans and transfercase would make a suitable substitute if you can convert them from transverse mounting.

I've built a turbo G54B Raider and it's perfectly adequate, and currently own a '95 SR (on 33s) that is just a touch pokey on the highway, but otherwise fine.

Sounds like the OP has his plan pretty well figured out.:safari-rig:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online