Carrying kayaks on pop-up

epaddler

Hi all, first post since I discovered this site a few days ago. I used to have a pop-up truck camper and would like to get one again. I now travel with two sea kayaks and am trying to find out if you can raise the top with the kayaks remaining on the roof. The total weight of the two kayaks will be 100 pounds. I don't mind putting a little extra elbow grease into raising the top, but don't want to damage the lifting mechanism. One of the things I used to really like about my popup was being able to pull over at a rest stop to pop the top to cook some lunch, etc. If I have to unload the boats each time, it would be a hassle. I sent an email with this question to the Four Wheel camper company but never got a response.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I've got a Texson/Northstar pop up truck camper with the crank up mechanism. I carry 3 sea kayaks up there (or 2 canoes). It takes some oomph to get the top up. The standard crank is too short in my opinion. I put a 4" nipple of 1" pipe on the back side of the crank, held in place with about 6 stainless steel hose clamps. I slide a piece of 1/2" galvanized pipe about 14" long into the nipple, extending the crank by about 8 or 9 inches. It makes cranking up the top much more manageable.
I'd really like some kind of torque reducer which would allow me to put a battery operated drill on the crank mechanism. I haven't been able to find anything yet.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
Hello epaddler

Not sure when you sent the e-mail to FWC ?

We try to get back with ALL e-mails, but with spam filters in place, sometimes e-mails get lost. It stinks & frustrates me beyond belief. Why can't e-mail be more reliable, lol.

We are always a toll free phone call away if you need a faster reply, or don't get a reply for some strange reason. Please call anytime.

But to answer your question, Yes, you can carry canoes or kayaks on the four wheel camper roof.

We offer a basic Boat / Luggage rack and also Thule or Yakima roof racks as an option.

Just make sure to order the "gas strut lift assisst" if you buy one of our campers.

Our roof lift system is designed to be simple and does not have any mechanical advantage to it.

It take mussle power to lift our camper roof.

The process is simple, but there is some weight to it.

So without the "gas strut lift assists" added to help raise the camper roof, you will probably NOT be able to have both kayaks on the roof and push the camper roof up. I think it would be too heavy for just one person.

Hope this helps a little.

Happy Camping !

:)

Attachments

• kayak # 12.jpg
    kayak # 12.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 280
  • kayak # 2.JPG
    kayak # 2.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 223
  • kayaks 9999.jpg
    kayaks 9999.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 234
  • Kayaks picture.jpg
    Kayaks picture.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 231

epaddler

Thanks

Thanks Stan for the fast response and photos. If I find a used four wheel camper, can I order the struts from you and add them myself?

If it helps you diagnose your email problems, I sent the request for info on July 2 to fwc@fourwh.com I believe this was the email address posted on your web site.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I can lift the roof on my Northstar with four longboards and two shorties up there. As mentioned previously,a reduction gear option would be nice from Northstar. The lifting mechanism from Northstar is top notch.

kerry

Expedition Leader
My Texson/Northstar gear lifting mechanism was made by HECO, a company that makes a lot of them for pop up truck campers. I have been planning to call them about a gear reduction mechanism. I didn't call them before my most recent trip because there wasn't enough time to get one before I left so I concocted the extension handle. It's not that pretty but it works well.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Instead of a "cheater bar" solution,I wish HECO would just gear it lower and retain the same handle. A few more revs wouldn't hurt and would reduce the effort when the top's loaded.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Instead of a "cheater bar" solution,I wish HECO would just gear it lower and retain the same handle. A few more revs wouldn't hurt and would reduce the effort when the top's loaded.

Agreed. In the thread I linked there are a number of posts saying that people have had the HECO crank handle fail where the machined end mechanism is welded to the cheap galvanized handle. I think I'll buy a used winch handle on Ebay and try to adapt the HECO machined end to it so I have two options for a raising crank.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Here's the reply I got from HECO when I inquired about buying just the machined end of the hand crank so I could fabricate a longer handle:

"David, you need to order the whole assembly – U-377A crank handle.

Also the lift system is not made to raise the roof with your kayaks on.

This will damage the system.

I would advise not to make a different handle and to take the kayaks off before raising the roof."

Since the kayaks probably weigh no more than a few inches of wet snow on the roof, the advice is intriguing.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
Sure, the gas strut lift assists can be installed on most any used four wheel camper.

We can do it here at the factory, or send them to you with installation instructions & hardware.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

. . . If I find a used four wheel camper, can I order the struts from you and add them myself?

epaddler

thanks

Thanks for all the confirming info. Sounds very workable, especially with some tinkering. It's nice to know. The other alternative would be to haul the boats on a trailer, which is OK for going to the local lake, but not what I had in mind for 2,000 mile trips across country.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I bought a used 12" sailboat winch handle on Ebay for $10 and a replacement HECO crank from Canvas Replacements. Ground off the weld and removed the machined part from the crank. Removed the lock mechanism from the winch handle. Drilled out the bronze to a size just slightly smaller than the machined gear. Used a vice to push the machined gear into the winch handle. Installed two 1/8" roll pins to hold it securely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior