2010 Elk Renedezvous: Of Elk and Nuclear Reactors.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Some ExPo meets are all about traversing deep into the backwoods to get away from civilization. Some are adventure trips where canoes, hiking or spelunking are the draw, some are just friendly get togethers to BS with friends. This one is all about the critters…

The end of summer and the beginning of fall is a busy time for us around the Clanhold. With the changing of the seasons comes the call of the firewood pile, the mad rush to get as many log homes done before winter sets in and the siren call of tasty critters as hunting season creeps up on us. Back country trips start to take a back seat in the priority mobile, as the other demands muscle their way to the front of the chore bus. But all work and no play makes for a sad Clan. So with my wife Michelle managing to get a couple of extra days off over the past weekend, we called up a few of our nearby ExPo East friends. Some quick PMs later we knocked together a quick and dirty meet. What we settled on was a run out to Pennsylvania's Elk country to see how many of those bruisers we could spy.

Along on this trip came, of course, us (Clan Haggis) as the local guides. James (jim65wagon) and family to provide witty comments . Jay (mtnbike28) and family in search of lemon bars. David (RockyRidge), his kids and tag along kid Grant to get the heck out of the flatlands of Ohio and find some dirt to run the JK on. Figuring this would be the last chance for the group to get together before the snow flies, we were all looking forward to this jaunt.

Our trip started with us picking up the Minions (Allison and Cameron) at their high school Friday afternoon, and rolling east towards the village of Benezette located in PA's Elk County. There was a slight Fall like chill in the air but the shining sun and blue skies made for a cheery drive. Two hours later we pulled into the Hicks Run campground in the Elk State Forest. The powers that be in charge of this particular state forest are not inclined to approve dispersed campsites and to find a site for three trailers and a couple of tents in this area is about impossible when dealing with the local terrain. So the campsite was where we were heading. We usually head over this aways a couple times a year but usually at a later date, so I wasn‘t to sure how many elk we would see or if the bulls would be bugling yet. It‘s a bit early for the rut which is the best time to see these beasties.

We set up our E1 trailer, started a fire and waited on the others. A short time later an elderly couple pulled in driving a Chevy with a slide in camper. While we waited for the other Expo-ers to show up, we shot the breeze with these folks as they shared tales of their travels, often in pursuit of wild game, including numerous trips out west and thirteen runs to Alaska. James and family weren't rolling in till Saturday, but Jay and David rolled in around 9:00 that night. With headlamps and flashlights Jay got his Conqueror Compact set -up while David wrangled three kids and his Cobalt trailer into shape. The kids got reacquainted, Jay's daughter Samantha finally getting to meet David's brood, and soon there was happy sounds around the campsite as the kids played and the adults BSed the evening away. With this group you've got a mix of teenagers to elementary kids and it's great to see how well they get along. The older kids really make the younger ones welcomed and the younger ones repay that with happy smiles. What a great group of munchkins.

Anyways enough rambling…on with the adventure…

The next morning we were up early as the best time to view elk is early in the morning and later in the evening. Our first stop was the Hicks Run Viewing Area. With fog settled in the valleys we walked up to the viewing blind to find out from a fellow elk seeker that we had just missed a big bull and his harem of cows. Not to be deterred we headed east from Hicks Run up PA 555 to check out a local farm that is usually a good spot to find elk. Sure enough we found a good sized bull and his harem working through the woods towards the farm's field. We parked the rigs in a safe spot and walked back towards the farm...

5000387959_653ab7605f.jpg

Jay's pic.

The elk gave us some good shots…

5000387945_eedf290332_z.jpg

Jay's pic.

5000387965_e7d4518a0e_z.jpg

Jay's pic.

Later a group of whitetails came out, the young button bucks of the group pranced around putting on a show. Then we were back on the hunt for more critters

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
We turned the trucks around and headed west back towards Benezette. Here and there we would spot a couple of elk or a few whitetails in people's yards or in wooded glens along the road. We jumped off 555 onto Winslow Hill Rd at the village of Grant and made our way towards the elk viewing areas. We stopped at the Dents Run Game Commission viewing area and found the food plots under a heavy blanket of fog. We could hear a few bulls bugling but none could be spied. So herding the kidlins (and one or two of the adults) back into the trucks we struck out for the Winslow Hill Viewing Areas. The fog was not quite as opaque here and we spotted a few elk ghosting through the mist.

5000387951_80941122d9_z.jpg

Mark's pic.

We could hear some bulls bellowing in the valley below the viewing area so Jay, Cam and I decide to hike the perimeter trail and see if we could put a stalk on with hopes of getting Jay a couple of great shots. But by the time we dodged looky-loo bystanders and got into position the elk had moved farther into the landscape and away from us.

5000416079_a975ac012f.jpg

Mark's pic.

I think this shot of Cam by Jay captures him better than any pic we have of him. We're real proud of our PA ridge running kid…

5000416099_4c9082fb6b.jpg

Jay's pic.

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Back at the trucks…

5000387957_3544c6a10e_z.jpg

Jay's pic.

…we loaded the awaiting horde back up as we decided to head back towards camp to meet up with James and family. As we headed back west on Winslow Rd we spotted another nice bull in a field on the right….

5000416085_deba2abf38_z.jpg

Jay's pic.

Then another grand bull stalking out of a locals archery range (oh, the irony)...

5032654739_bc31a9def3.jpg

We pulled off the road and walked back to get some shots. As we watched the bull just kept wandering towards us, eventually crossing the road and passing within 25 yards of the group. Some of the littler kids were getting a bit nervous. But the elk here know of me (at least by reputation) and don't mess with me and those under my watch.

5000416093_02c6d1bc2f_z.jpg

Jay's pic.

Back at camp we were throwing down some lunch when the Hays rolled in. After all the hearty greetings and the establishment of Jim and Elizabeth's campsite we spent some time shooting the breeze, checking out each other's latest toys, and picking on the guy with the Jeep.

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Then it was back on the road to see some more critters. We spotted some elk here and there as we made our way back towards Winslow Rd but once there found it overrun with elk tourists. So we made a short hike into the gamelands where we found a redneck tree stand, which of course Elizabeth and James couldn’t resist…

5000451555_669c194d00_z.jpg

Mark’s pic.

And found a shale pit wall the kids had fun scrambling up and running down.

We then decide to head over to the lower Winslow Viewing Area lot, back the trucks in, chillax and wait for the evening elk to show up. As we pulled in there were a few vehicles here, by the time we left around 7:00 the place was packed. Good weather and blue skies brings out the lookers around here. As the ladies stretched out on the sun warmed grass James, Jay and I decide to put another stalk on and see if we could be more successful than we were in the morning. As we worked our way around the perimeter trail, a bull started bugling just up the way from us. It was obvious he was heading our way so we hunkered down to wait his arrival. A young bull appeared coming up the game trail and we watched him for a few minutes until he made his way up the hill and out of sight. We hiked farther into the bush, passing tons of elk sign as we went. Finally we were watching a harem of cow elk when a young bull came out of the brush bugling. He strutted up to the cows and then suddenly started moving away from them as a much larger bull came out. Not wanting a girlfriend that bad the young bull got his hide out of Dodge and made his way to a brine pool for a drink…

5000416097_f5027ae91a_z.jpg

As we were set with our backs to the pines on the edge of a big bowl of a holler the young bull soon disappeared from site. Meanwhile a group of ten more cows made their appearance and we were watching them, when I noticed an antler coming over the verge of the bowl right at us...

5000387961_75468846cf.jpg

Getting Jay's attention, he was ready to shoot as that young bull came within 15 yards of us. James and I were thinking about the awesome range this bull was in for a crack with a bow, while Jay had to switch to his smaller camera to get the elk into frame. We were graced with that elks presence for 15 minutes or more before he finally wandered off. I told Jay to put the camera away, cause you ain’t gonna get a better chance for a photo than that.

As we headed back to camp we ran into a traffic jam as masses of people were ogling the biggest bull I’ve ever seen over here. But it was so crazy that we just kept pressing on to clear the jam-up, saving that memory in our synapse instead of digital.

Back at camp we got a fire roaring and unleashed the kidlins. As we sat around the fire, the jokes flew left and right, food was passed out in big portions (lemon bars, blueberry buckle, wild turkey and barley soup and so on and so forth) and tales were swapped .

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
The next day we were again up early and heading back down to the Hicks Run viewing area. Here we spotted a couple bulls and a few cows. We had a young bull right in front of the blind and got some good shots. Well everyone had seen a ton of cows so we decide to explore some. This area of PA has some great scenic areas to wander through and a plethora of wildlife to see. So we crossed the river and made our way up through the forest roads that traverse the Wilds Area. Beautiful woodlands, grouse and deer were the sights out our windows as we made our way to our goal.

5000451559_518de05b83_z.jpg

Where were we heading? To a secret nuclear site that was built back in the 50s and later abandoned by the government. I’ve never been all the way back and wanted to see if anything was left. So with visions of black helicopters, mutant marauders and fifty foot worms we headed into the unknown. Finding the access road gated and signed we abandoned the rigs and made our way on foot. "Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs."

5000416083_e0b691a441.jpg

Well there’s not much to see at the sight but we did find this 30’ long two headed mutant caterpillar…

5000451561_529db5625d_z.jpg

Really…it was that big, and it breathed fire….our escape is an epic tale of courage and derring-do perfect for the fireside. Come along sometime and we’ll share all the gory details with you.

So it was back to camp, tear down the kit and hit the highway. As usual nobody was really ready to leave but that’s the way it goes at the end of a great weekend. Thanks to the whole gang for sharing an awesome weekend with us. Can’t wait to do it again!

Oh, one last shot, though there is hundreds we could share…Jay’s trailer likes PA muck!

5000451567_61702a71ed_z.jpg

Last edited:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Great trip!

Mark,

As always you did a great job. The write up is spot on.
I know the trip was successful when my wife says, "that was fun."
Even as we clean/dry/repack the gear.

This is the bull that walked into the woods 15 yards from us.
091110pod+502.jpg

I had the 300 f2.8 with 2x converter on when he popped up, so I grabbed the G7 for this picture.

Happy trails.

12husky

Adventurer
Sounds like a great trip! One of these days I would love to make it up there to see the elk and enjoy another fireside BS session with everyone.

~Matt

jeeper92

Adventurer
wow!!

Unreal!! Id love to meet you all in the spring for a little trip like this.........it looks amazing!!!

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
We had a great time!, although it's a little on the exhausting side. I think I put about 900 miles on the truck in 2 days! The pictures are great!

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Unreal!! Id love to meet you all in the spring for a little trip like this.........it looks amazing!!!

We'd love to show you around. But really the best time to see the elk is now. From mid September to late October the Bulls are in the rut, gaurding their harem of cows and the most active. Come spring the elk cows are nestled deeper in the woods with their calves and not as easy to see. You see some elk about anytime in Benezette, but not in the numbers as this time of the year.

Sounds like a great trip! One of these days I would love to make it up there to see the elk and enjoy another fireside BS session with everyone.

~Matt
Anytime you want to head up let us know. We look fprward to sharing a fire wih you and yours again.

We had a great time and Jay was kind enough to share over three hundred of his photos with us all. I'll tell you right now that this group of folks that spent the weekend with us are a fine bunch of people.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Just added a few more pics to the originial posts as I finally got my Flickr account sorted back out. :elkgrin:

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
haggis,
I am thinking about hitting the Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival in August. Busy in mid-August maybe? The biggest problem is that the UP Overland is the week before but we might not hang around for all of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles