Toyota truck bed trailer

jsmarine

Adventurer
I have been wanting another project latley, and recently found a Toyota pick up bed trailer for sale on craigslist, so yesterday I went and made a deal on it. The bed is probably form a 1973-1978 Toyota Im guessing, and its still in great shape considering it was used as a farm trailer for many years.

Anyways, here are some pictures from yesterday just after I picked it up. I plan to make a little camping/off-road trailer out of it. The tongue is the first thing that needs to be addressed, then Im not sure what my exact plans are yet, I will probably just make it up as I go along.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0075.jpg
    IMG_0075.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 821
  • IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:

FreeManDan

Adventurer
Me likey, but what do you have planned for the tung? Just a new hitch, or redoing the triangle all together? You could do a spring over convertion, trim some sheet metal, and bigger tiers real easy. I have a similar build plan, as my granddad has a mazda truck bed trailer he will just give me. The hardest thing is to find out what year it is so I can get a new tail light for it with out rigging up some universal light kit...just wont look as cool. A really nice paint job is in order as well, and there is nothing finer than bed liner!:costumed-smiley-007

jsmarine

Adventurer
Not much to report yet, got it in the garage and started looking over the whole thing to get a better idea of what I have. Heres a few pics I snapped with my iphone. I started removing the rear taillights to clean them up and get them working again. Also, it still has the original axle, and still has the fuel tank as well, which will be removed of course! Also, I am thinking of doing a spring over and the easiest way is to just flip the axle over. Can anyone foresee a downside to this approach, other than seeing the rear diff facing the wrong way when you look underneath. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Your brother/fabricator friend should be able to spit out some spring mount brackets for top of axle tube pretty quick.... otherwise there are several sources online to order them from.

jsmarine

Adventurer
Your brother/fabricator friend should be able to spit out some spring mount brackets for top of axle tube pretty quick.... otherwise there are several sources online to order them from.

Yeah he can, and my brother will be helping me with any welding and fabricating on this project, but even though he is my brother I still have to pay him! And the reason I just want to flip the axle over is because I won't have to move the spring perches. In my head its just that simple, flip the axle over and bolt it back up. I just wondered if there was a downside to doing it that way.

Last edited:
Yeah he can, and my brother will be helping me with any welding and fabricating on this project, but even though he is my brother I still have to pay him! And the reason I just want to flip the axle over is because I dont have to move the spring perches. In my head its just that simple, flip the axle over and bolt it back up. I just wondered if there was a downside to doing that way.

Maybe just go get an axle from northern tool??? Or Leary has a source for trailer parts...

jsmarine

Adventurer
Maybe just go get an axle from northern tool??? Or Leary has a source for trailer parts...

Yeah, I thought about getting a new axle, but I'm cheap and this axle seems to be ok, it spins freely and that's all I care about. I know I will be limited on ground clearance with the diff, but no less clearance than the tow vehicle (my 4runner) so I don't see that as a problem really either.

Last edited:
man.. I wish I could find a 2nd gen toyota longbed truck bed trailer... If I could I'd thropw my FP on there and call it done for now..

but I still want to graft it to my 4runner....

97tjguzzy

Explorer
could you not flip the axle over and then 180 and the pinion would still be pointing forward? then it woudl be spring over yet still be facing forward?

njtaco

Explorer
Maybe I'm thinking of this all wrong, but it seems to me it will be difficult to fill the diff to the right level with oil with it upside down. And the vent would be on the bottom...

Could the rear you have be sold to finance a proper trailer axle? Then you could have electric brakes too, if you wanted them.

Last edited:

jsmarine

Adventurer
could you not flip the axle over and then 180 and the pinion would still be pointing forward? then it woudl be spring over yet still be facing forward?

Yep, you got it! And thats what I did on Sunday. Attached are some pictures, sorry if they arent great, they were taken with my iphone.

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg