My Ridgeline - Expo/hauler build

Bobfab

Observer
Hey guys, after lurking this forum for almost a year i feel as though i should start a build thread for my ridgeline. Now before we get started i know that the truck is technically a SUV or car, it does not have solid axles or mechanical lockers, nor will it. Its not a rockcrawler either. I am aware of those limitations. :sombrero:

On with the truck. I purchased it used, one owner off of lease in June of 2010 as a camping vehicle and something that i could use to haul a couple dirtbikes.

2007 Honda Ridgeline 37,xxx miles - Silver

As it was bone stock 6/10:
DSCF9017.jpg

DSCF9018.jpg

DSCF9024.jpg

First round of modifications:
- Westin Bullbar
- Vanity Plates
DSCF9034.jpg

DSCF9033.jpg

DSCF9031.jpg

29 Palms CA

Second round of modifications:
- Treadwright Pumas 245-70-17
CIMG0106.jpg

DSCF9038.jpg

Big Bear YP26 CA

Third round of Modifications:
- Scanguage II
- Truxx 2" Lift Kit & End Links
- Westin Fog Lights
DSCF9141.jpg

DSCF9131.jpg

DSCF9145.jpg

Deserts North of BigBear CA
DSCF9138.jpg

DSCF9312.jpg

Superstition Mt. CA

Bobfab

Observer
Next round of mods / current projects:
- Isimple Ipod interface with firmware update chip ($150+ for ipod connectivity geez!)
- OEM Silver Dash Trim (Installed no pics yet)
- Wire Fog-lights (not Done)
- Droid 12v socket mount for surface street GPS (Installed no pics yet)
DSCF9368.jpg

Todays project: Sportsmans guide Truck bed Tent.
After lusting after rooftop tents, travel trailers, campers, caps etc... for months, i was on the hunt for a cheap alternative. Having just taken a leave of absecnce from work, i decided i should roll the dice on the most affordable option available. A 69.99$ tent. After being told on multiple message boards and by the vendors that the tent wasnt going to fit i thought i had to try before i shelled out 10x the coin. Today was the demo run.
DSCF9401.jpg

DSCF9397.jpg

DSCF9405.jpg

DSCF9404.jpg

DSCF9403.jpg

DSCF9402.jpg

DSCF9406.jpg

Actually worked pretty well, i think with some canvas alterations it could be made into a near perfect fit and a cozy little solution for overnight camping and bike trips. One of the biggest concerns other than outright cost with some sort camper setup was the ability to still haul at least 2 dirtbikes or motorcycles to the riding area.

Thoughts?

poriggity

Explorer
I like it! :) I am thinking about picking up one of those truck bed tents for my truck as well.. Keep us posted on how you like it.
Scott

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I didn't know they had lifts for those. It looks good, keep us posted on the progress.

Maddmatt

Explorer
Love it so far - always been a fan of Hondas.

With the tent in the back, how do you access the cool hidden storage compartment? I'm thinking if you're modifying the tent anyway, maybe put a velcro'd down square where the storage would be.

Or not, I've never actually looked at a Ridgeline in person, just always thought the inbed storage was cool. And I like being able to access things from bed.

Bobfab

Observer
I didn't know they had lifts for those. It looks good, keep us posted on the progress.

Thanks man. There are a couple lifts available. All just simple spacer lifts. There have been horror stories of people "Ripping their CV's" right after installation. I havent had any issues, the axel might have hit the LCA once at an extreme angle and incline, infact i believe it was a driveway on a hill. The mfg. of my kit is Truxxx, but most mfgs use a very similar design.

When paychecks start rolling in again.... I would love to goto King Shocks and have set installed similar to the Baja1000 Ridgeline. That and custom bumpers and the whole kit and caboodle, but alas intentional unemployment :coffee:

I agree. If i cut up the tent i plan on installing a window for the inbed trunk. That thing is really awesome, but you wont believe how many times the bed is full and i want to get _____ outta the trunk. Its convenient but really makes you think smart about packing!

Im a huge honda fan, and though i think there are more capable 4x4 trucks out there, i had to go with this vehicle. since leaving my daily driven honda 3 years ago, i had just been yearning for another. Its just a honda thing, storage pockets, steering feel, build quality. I am familiar with their designs, so i feel like before i remove a fender or something, i "know" they got a little hidden clip back there. That and it is loaded with creature comforts that i couldn't sacrifice after driving my fully loaded 08 suzuki sx4, though awesome and utilitarian a 95 4-runner wasn't gonna cut it. Im just another honda nerd :smiley_drive:

Doing some sort of trip tomorrow, so ill be back with new pics soon

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
Bobfab!

Just found your thread. I've got a '10 Ridge and love it. Best truck I've ever had. We did nothing to it at all because, there's nothing you can (really) do. I've read a ton of threads about the various "lift" kits and none of them end happily. Be careful.

We took ours across the Trans Labrador Highway last summer - no worries. The thing eats up washboard for breakfast. We were even towing an offroady popup trailer.

Tough to get it really offroad here in the east because there's always a huge bog that you need to get across and the Ridge just doesn't have the tires and clearance for it.

Glad to have another ExPo Ridgeline to share the social stigma with.

Keep posting pics!

Cheers,
Mark

Bobfab

Observer
Mark! Thanks for the reply. I went from a fully loaded (creature comfort) suzuki to a truck. Bottom line the ridgline has a ton of "luxury" features that other trucks in the segment either dont offer or gets too pricey.

I hear what you mean regarding the lift kit, i was hesitant to get it. However that being said, i have had no problems and have one of the later generation Truxx kits with the updated sway bar ends. I needed the added ground clearance, perhaps at the expense of suspension performance. I was taking the truck on a number of socal jobsites and backroads and bottomed out one too many times on the hitch for comfort. I knew that one time would be the rear diff. Its no rock crawler, but as you said it will do most with ease. The added confidence of the 13ply tires and a little lift, handles most "non-rock" offroad duties in this part of the country. (Sand, small to medium rocks, gravel of all size, hardpack sand)

Rodriguez Spur Trail - Anza Borrego CA 11/29/10
Heres an update on the truck. Got to really shake down the $70 Truck tent, camped in this valley where the temps dipped below the 40*'s and the winds had to be in the 50MPH range. The tent himmed and hauled, but never moved an inch. Kept us, warm, out of the wind, dry and sipping wine all night long. Amen! :coffeedrink:

Whoda thunk rain in the desert!
DSCF9566.jpg

DSCF9565.jpg

DSCF9563.jpg

DSCF9562.jpg

And a quick shot from the pier in my town after a storm
20101019181016.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
WOW, that is truly a unique vehicle for these parts. Good to see you out enjoying it eh. Honda makes a good product for sure so I'm sure it'll serve you for a good long while.

But... - whisper - That's not a "Bull Bar" it's a push bar - whisper - And with the Uni-body, a real Bull-Bar might be a great addition. You could even use what you have there and have some wings added on to it to protect the corners (be sure to brace them down and under to the front of the uni-body. Wouldn't even have to take off the stock bumper, think Pre-Runner style with an added upper hoop to keep any animal from going into the cabin in the case of a strike. I'm guessing that the Ridgeline is pretty fun at speed in the desert with the suspension being what it is. I know Honda raced them in Baja I thought, looked like a perfect application for those "trucks" since they're not really crawlers, but more of a go fast machine in my mind eh.

Cheers and keep the pics comming, I'm excited to see someone using a Ridgeline for an Expo rig. Neat truck you're building there mate.

Cheers

Dave

Bobfab

Observer
Nice Ridge Black Monty, Those gunmetal wheels look nice!

WOW...

Dave

Its a great truck for the deserts of southern California, however you can tell that street civitility won out in the suspension department. The truck is screaming for a set of shocks that can actually absorb the weight of the truck when it comes over a wash or whoop.

I do know that its a pushbar, not a true bull bar. I have considered going the route of the Baja ridgeline or some sort of skeleton bull bar for the front. I think i might go the full custom bumper route. I have some great ideas, and have started doing some measuring and planning. Now if only my money tree was in season :p

Ridgeline baja bar for those who havent seen it: It has a large thick aluminum plate that spans the engine and trans in the front.
129_0605_15_zhonda_ridgeline_trophy.jpg

What i have in mind:
Bumper2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz