The other 80

brained

Adventurer
Where to start? - find the beginning somewhere I suppose.

How about the purpose of the build? Pacific Northwest USA. Oregon, the dry side specifically. The rainforest side is not my most favorite.
The dry side though, that's more my style. Lots of old mines, logging camps and even bits of the original Oregon Trail out my window. The OBCDR, the newly christened WBCDR and others beckon to be seen, not from a hermetically sealed beige box, but with only a sheet of canvas between me and the sun, rain, and snow.
The entire West waiting beyond those.

Not a solo ride though - best friend, son, and loyal puppy to share it with.

Now for the ride. Not chosen as much as stumbled across. Jeep's too small, the JK's too new, and the bigger Jeep's too rare (was looking for a Willy's Wagon).

Via a friend I find this:
An International Harvester Scout Model 80.
image_service.php
image_service.php

A few details for those not familiar. The product of a farm equipment manufacturer looking to get a piece of the CJ pie. First production in 1961, above an early '63 model sporting the high end rollup windows instead of the sliders.
With the exception of the engine the drive train components are common - Dana axles and transfer case with a Warner transmission.
The powerplant is a special beast though. To save tooling costs and time it was built using existing V8 components from buses and dump trucks, but just half a V8 because more would be silly. The result is a stout 4 cylinder that can run at full rpm all day every day - many did/do duty powering water pumps and generators.

The last two years have been getting it mechanically sound and upgraded. Options available in '66 were a little heavier duty and have been put to good use.
As it sits now (or nearly sits as a couple items are still in progress):
196ci 4 banger.
Dana 44 rear axle with LSD and 4.27 gears.
Dana 44 front axle with a pending auto locker, manual hubs, disc brakes and 4.30 gears.
A Warner T-18 4 speed split up by a 2 to 1 Dana 20.

A blank slate on the interior:
image_service.php

Last edited:

brained

Adventurer
Expedition suitable upgrades to date:

A light duty storage area for on top:
image_service.php

And a Desert Dynamics T200 9,000lb winch to be bolted in this weekend:
image_service.php

(12,500lb gear upgrade pending)

bobcat charlie

Adventurer
The 44 front axel is an excellent upgrade...both for strength and for better braking...the closed knuckle Dana 30 with 9" or 10" drums would just barely slow these things.

I used a Scout II front end and added the Scout II power steering on the last 800B that I built, just be sure to weld in tubes thru the frame where you bolt on the steering box.

The 196" slant 4 is a bulletproof engine. I had a '62 Scout 80 with a turbo charged 152" slant 4...don't know if IHC ever offered the turbo on the 196" but I'm sure the turbo would fit, if you could find one. The 152" and 196" engines are the same on the outside!

BTW, I converted the 800B from roll up windows to a set of early 80 sliders just because I thought they were cool!

Riptide

Explorer
Man, I love those old Scouts! Back when I lived just outside of Dayton, OH, there was a family down the street from me. The father worked at an International Harvester plant close by, and all his (large) family drove were Scouts. That whole driveway, and the street in front were covered in Scouts. 2 doors, 4 doors... it was like a Scout museum.

I always thought they were great trucks; no nonsense, they way America used to build trucks, before cupholders ruined everything...

You'll have a blast with that baby. Good on ya for rescuing her, and using her the way she was meant to be used.

brained

Adventurer
Well, for the first time in many weeks it's above freezing. I was amazed at how stiff the manual steering box is at -10.

The original plan was to get the Scout complete and run the OBDR this fall.
Just found out we'll be on some reduced hours here at work for a while. Good in that it allows time for application of some elbow grease. Bad in that it cuts the budget to where getting equipped and purchasing fuel and getting on the road are not likely to all happen.

Worst cast scenario is we still make several long weekend trips but not the two week long trip we were hoping for.

Best case scenario is we're back to full time soon or success in the 2011 Grand Expoordition!

Regardless, I'd like to start posting up plans and ideas for the Scout and get some feedback.

brained

Adventurer
Here's the list of to do items to get from daily driver to multi-week runner:

• Single rear seat/Sleeping platform for E.
  • Roll bar & shoulder belts.
  • Dual circuit brake system.
  • Replace rear pinion seal, left rear wheel seal.
  • Rebuild rear powr-loc.
  • Canvas top.
  • 1 maybe 2 fuel tanks between frame rails.
  • "Floor" in roof rack.
  • Re-wire.
  • Pre-filter for the K&N
  • PCV valve.
  • Front seal for the 152 or re-ring 196.
  • Bolt in the front Dana 44.
  • Front Fozzy Locker?

brained

Adventurer
Right now we have a flip and fold seat out of a older jeep for the back seat. Extended travel for three people it's too large, taking up valuable storage space. I'm thinking of putting in a single rear seat set to one side or the other as an alternative.

The wheel wells on a Scout are square and extend the full length of the rear bed. At the moment my best idea is to create a platform that folds out from the wheel well opposite the single rear seat. For single person extended travel you could fold forward the front passenger seat and have plenty of length for a big tall guy. For the three of us the front seat could stay put and it would be long enough for my son to sleep on.

image_service.php

brained

Adventurer
Summer time with the top off is the best thing ever. Spring/Fall/Winter with the top off is the worst thing ever.
The solid steel top takes two people and lots of little bolts to get on/off. I generally pack a tarp and pull it over the windshield frame and hide under it during the passing PNW rainstorms.

I'm thinking of cutting the full steel top and leaving behind a skeleton frame suitable for snapping canvas panels to. This way the windows would still roll up and seal properly and the canvas could be quickly removed or snapped back on as needed.

Here's a quick hand drawn pic of the idea. Thoughts?

(Click to enlarge)

matt s

Explorer
I think it's a great idea. You should consider using some fiberglass rods/strips in the roof to give it a positive arch. They could be sewn in like battens on sail, and then pop into some pockets on the frame.

Hope that makes sense.

brained

Adventurer
Welcome to the Scout addiction. Just remeber once you have one you will end up with more. Ask me how I know.
cool 80.
Paul

I bought this '63 for parts and it was so nice I couldn't bear to part it out and sold it for what I bought it for.
image_service.php

Two years ago when we were on reduced hours I cleaned out the fuel system on a '70 SR2 in trade for this '66. Took the 3 speed out of mine (a 600 mile trip thru the mountains and deserts of Oregon convinced me that the 3 speed had to go) and swapped in the 4 speed. Then traded the '66 for the winch.
image_service.php

I keep looking longingly at others but am really trying to stay focused on getting some miles on mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz