good camper heater

Terrainist

Explorer
I'm trying to nail down my heater for the Callen and am sort of going around in circles using the search engine. I will be using at least one, most likely two 20 lb bottles of propane for heat and cooking. I want an efficient heater that doesn't suck up all my propane.

I have been looking at the Buddy heater. I like that it is a portable type, easy installation, set up. No bolting down or lots of engineering to install it. Make a space and hook it up. Low oxygen and tip over sensor. But they use too much propane I'm thinking, and they don't work at or well above 6,000 feet elevation. I would also like the option of running it all night. Something with a thermostat would be optimum to keep the consumption down. I will have all the relevant detectors (CO, LP, smoke).

I calculated what it would take to heat the camper (a Callen cabover) and it is something like 3,600 btu, not much. Probably was quite a bit less and I'm not remembering correctly.

If anyone has any ideas it would be a huge help - ability to run all night and at altitude with low consumption and portable or very easy install is what I'm looking for. Thanks.

P.S. I may just jump straight to a solid fuel heater like the ones used on boats (think wood stove), and deal with the nasty install and get it over with. If it comes down to a complicated install, I'll be going with the solid fuel.

Last edited:

Terrainist

Explorer
Checked the price on the Newport solid fuel heaters and they are at $520, so that's not really an option right now. http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/dheaters.php

Thought they were $250 or so 3 months ago. Long term, ultimately, I would like something like that. Need something in the meantime that I might be able to sell when I switch over.

Explorer
I just camped with a fellow expo member (Wardrow) at 6,500ft during zero (F) degree temps using a buddy heater to heat a T-TOP Tent. It worked a little bit, but nothing spectacular. At lower altitude it will burn a 1lb bottle for 8-10 hrs. Up high I got maybe 3hrs and then the other bottles were to cold to even get the thing started. Luckily we also had electric blankets, and Wardrow used a couple pocket rockets to boil water bottles to toss in the sleeping bags.

We were already in deep snow 50 miles from the nearest plowed road. Had it snowed more, the propane and truck fuel could get depleted rather quick. I travel with a 3yr old girl, so keeping a living space warm is my first priority.

I will be going to a solid fuel stove next. The thought of getting snowed in or broken down during weather like that makes propane seem too short sighted.

A small stove that can run on a duraflame log or charcoal, with the option of wood seems the ticket.

I'm looking at making my own, all let you know how it works out.

If you stick to the propane method, consider all the condensation that it forms (1lb propane creats 1lb of H20) you need nice dry days to keep the mold at bay. A drying heat seems to be more logical than a humid heat source in a camper or tent.

Terrainist

Explorer
Thanks for the info, I didn't know propane made that much moisture. Solid fuel is the way to go for me too, but I need something in the mean time. And it will be good to have some back up if I don't feel like foraging or can't find, and I'm out of something to burn.

Ran across this, but don't know if a 20lb bottle can be hooked to it. http://search.coleman.com/cgi-bin/M...37&query=heater&hiword=HEATED HEATERS heater

Don't know why I haven't seen these before but right now it's this or the Mr. Heater Buddy. Olympian -- http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/olympian-wave-3-catalytic-safety-heater/19332

Post up if you have a little stove made. I spent some net time looking before, and people make them. Even if someone had a shop fab up the box, door, etc, it would be more cost effective than $520 by a mile. Having a small window in the door is almost a must have. Ambience as well as visual checking of things.

ExpoMike

Adventure Trailers is selling what is likely one of the best heating systems out there. The are huge in Europe and in the boating community. Not cheap but you will do it only once and be done with it. Has a t-stat, low consumption, etc.

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/page/accessories/heater/

propexparts.jpg

Explorer
Adventure Trailers is selling what is likely one of the best heating systems out there. The are huge in Europe and in the boating community. Not cheap but you will do it only once and be done with it. Has a t-stat, low consumption, etc.

I was all set to go that route because it doesn't introduce moisture, and it creates positive air pressure to force out drafts..... but, it relies on propane which relies on low altitude and a fill station.

I would still want a little solid fuel stove as a back up.

Terrainist

Explorer
A window isn't that big of a deal to have in the door. The glass is sold as well as the seals, just have to design it in.

I plan on getting a heater core and a small fan and hooking it up to an Ecotemp L5 hot water heater/shower. I just got the L5 for xmas, so I havent had a chance to get anything worked out on it yet, but thats the plan.

the site you linked with the newport solid fuel heaters also have heater asseblies that are hooked to a hot water source, such as the L5.. but they are pretty pricey for what they are..

Ala5ka

VX'er
I know it's not hardcore but I used a Coleman sportcat heater in a hardshell camper shell at 10 degrees this weekend and it kept the indoor ambient heat at about 50 degrees, not spectacular but kept the water liquid, and burned for 14 hours indoor without killing me. It did smell like turds when it burned though.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I was all set to go that route because it doesn't introduce moisture, and it creates positive air pressure to force out drafts..... but, it relies on propane which relies on low altitude and a fill station.

I would still want a little solid fuel stove as a back up.

What kind of altitude are you talking? I've never had a problem at any altitude so far. And even when its coooolllldd I usually only fill a tank twice a season.

Explorer
What kind of altitude are you talking? I've never had a problem at any altitude so far. And even when its coooolllldd I usually only fill a tank twice a season.

Mine shuts off at about 7,000ft because of the low oxygen sensor. If you have an older model, or the sensor doesn't work it might still burn up to about 10,000ft but you'll need a good draft to keep the oxygen level high enough for a good burn. If its really cold, the draft required will just about offset any heat you'll produce.

At about -20 F the bottle gets too cold to produce enough pressure to run the heater. Bigger bottles that are full are not as prone to this. You can work around this by heating up the bottle but even then the efficiency of propane at zero or below is pretty low.

Duct tape and hand warmers will help keep a little tank going, so keep those handy if you run the 1lb bottles. If altitude is the culprit, place the heater next to a vent so it has a better oxygen supply. Other than that, look for a better heat source!

Combine low temps with high altitude and poor ventilation and the result is a pretty poor heat source. I'm sure there is an algorithim that can quantify the efficiency of propane under these three variables. All I know is that propane has failed me on a number of occasions, so I'm going with solid fuel next.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Duct tape and hand warmers! Sa-weet idea. Thank you! My contribution from previous usage is taking an old foam camping mat and making an insulating sleeve to slow down the cooling of the canister. Adding a pocket for a hand warmer would be the next trick. Hmmmmm.... :)

Terrainist

Explorer
Wave 3 looks like the way to go. I recall from reading yesterday and just read it again that it uses as low as 1/8 lb per hour of propane. Not as good as I hoped, but could be worse.

Camco Olympian Wave heaters user guide with parts #'s list - http://www.fiberglassrv.com/files/Wave_Catalytic_User_Guide.pdf

Install thread of sorts on WTW - http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2549/

Related thread from these forums - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35774

Now, if there is a manufacturer that makes a remote thermostat... that would be great. Would cut down on consumption, considerably I would imagine. Anyone aware of a thermostat that can be used with these???

Looking at the solid fuel heaters on the market, I'm thinking I will be building one. For 1. there really is only one that is appealing and 2. it's too expensive for what it is. By building one I can incorporate a water heater into it as well, which would be a super nice option to have for heating water to shower. And could probably engineer a heating surface on it for minimal cooking, water boiling, food warming, etc.

Thermostat anyone? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior