'97 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4 Cummins Powered

ExpoMike

Well, with my decision to sell my M1010 project due to just not enough time to really build what I wanted, I was on the look out for a Ram truck. I knew I wanted to go with a 2500 series as I wanted the solid front axle and basic suspension as my Cherokee. They are very similar and I know my Cherokee can sure flex. The wife and I definitely decided our next truck would be an extra cab as we just need the room when hauling the dog around (yes she is spoiled and rides in the cab). I also really wanted a Cummins diesel but everything I was finding was in the 250,000+ range. That's fine for that engine but everything else is beat to crap. I had found a couple that met what I was looking for but were sold almost as fast as they were listed.

Well, I lucked out and happened on this '97 Ram 2500, club cab, long bed, 4x4 with a Cummins. It had 144,000 miles and is in great shape. Definitely not be beat to crap and the interior almost looks like new. It was very loved. With cash in hand I arranged to pick it up. The drive back home was great, got just under 20 MPG at 70 MPH with the A/C on. This is exactly what I was looking for. I have the mods I want to do (mainly suspension stuff) as I want to keep it very reliable. Very unlikely many engine mods will be done. It works very well as it is.

Plans are to find a used Four Wheel Camper and get that setup for our travels. This gets us up and running in a short amount of time and without doing a lot of building of the rig.

Here's a couple pics from my pee stop at Buttercup along I-8. Just had to get into the sand!!!

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

I am sure I will have some questions as I make my plans to go forward. Biggest first thing will be tire size. Currently it has 265/75-16 and as you can see, they look really small. It doesn't seem to have any lift installed but man there is a lot of wheel well space. I am thinking of 255/85-16 but I am thinking those might be small. Still trying to research what the stock height is of the truck.

Well, I will document progress as I go.

gahi

Adventurer
You did good! I think you'll be really happy with it. and its a 12 valve too!
Mines a 1st gen but I run 285/75/16's
Now you can haul all your other toys around too.

deadbird

Observer
Really nice truck, you are going to love it. I have a 96 regular cab with a 5 speed. I'm running BFG 285/75/16's, load range E. Some 35's would look good, but mpg goes down. Look into the Turbo Diesel Registry for all things Cummins.

alexfm

Explorer
Well, with my decision to sell my M1010 project due to just not enough time to really build what I wanted, I was on the look out for a Ram truck. I knew I wanted to go with a 2500 series as I wanted the solid front axle and basic suspension as my Cherokee. They are very similar and I know my Cherokee can sure flex. The wife and I definitely decided our next truck would be an extra cab as we just need the room when hauling the dog around (yes she is spoiled and rides in the cab). I also really wanted a Cummins diesel but everything I was finding was in the 250,000+ range. That's fine for that engine but everything else is beat to crap. I had found a couple that met what I was looking for but were sold almost as fast as they were listed.

Well, I lucked out and happened on this '97 Ram 2500, club cab, long bed, 4x4 with a Cummins. It had 144,000 miles and is in great shape. Definitely not be beat to crap and the interior almost looks like new. It was very loved. With cash in hand I arranged to pick it up. The drive back home was great, got just under 20 MPG at 70 MPH with the A/C on. This is exactly what I was looking for. I have the mods I want to do (mainly suspension stuff) as I want to keep it very reliable. Very unlikely many engine mods will be done. It works very well as it is.

Plans are to find a used Four Wheel Camper and get that setup for our travels. This gets us up and running in a short amount of time and without doing a lot of building of the rig.

Here's a couple pics from my pee stop at Buttercup along I-8. Just had to get into the sand!!!

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

I am sure I will have some questions as I make my plans to go forward. Biggest first thing will be tire size. Currently it has 265/75-16 and as you can see, they look really small. It doesn't seem to have any lift installed but man there is a lot of wheel well space. I am thinking of 255/85-16 but I am thinking those might be small. Still trying to research what the stock height is of the truck.

Well, I will document progress as I go.

You sir, now own my dream truck. :drool: I want one in that exact configuration. :sombrero:

chasespeed

Explorer
Yep.... wish mine were extended cab....

Anyway.... 285s will fit stock. I didnt have any mileage issues when swtiching to 315s.... others may.

As far as engine mods... 4inch exhaust and downpipe. Maybe a 3k gov kit.... let it breathe.

Chase

Sent from my HTC Incredible......

my1stcummins

Adventurer
Nice to see another white Cummins in the SD. :smiley_drive:

I bough mine with very similar intentions but did go with a few mods to let the engine run more efficiently. I have an AFE intake, and a full MBRP 4" exhaust and a Mileage Max Edge Tuner. I had all of these things installed the day after I bought the truck, so I can't make a valid before and after comparison, but I can get mid to low 20's on the Hwy if I am careful and 13-15 in the city which ain't bad for a 7000lb truck with MT's.

As far as diesel prices are concerned, I found that the B-20 fuel at Pearson Fuels on El Cajon was going for $4.19/gal compared to $4.39-4.50 at most other places. My truck runs a little quieter on the B-20 as well. FYI.

ExpoMike

why not try your H2 wheels and tires if you still have them..

Nice score. BTW....

Thanks for the props guys. After reading things here, I think I will go with 285's most likely.

As for the H2 wheels, they are part of the package with selling the M1010. Other two problems is, the center bore is larger on a Dodge then Chevy so you have to grind out the centers on the wheels. Also the offset is way wrong for pre-'03 Rams. No doubt they would look cool but just not going to fix... if I was keeping them.

chasespeed

Explorer
I have seen plenty of 2nd gens with the H2 rims..... been considering some myself to maybe resolve some rubbijg issues at lock....

Sent from my HTC Incredible

1leg

Explorer
Thanks for the props guys. After reading things here, I think I will go with 285's most likely.

As for the H2 wheels, they are part of the package with selling the M1010. Other two problems is, the center bore is larger on a Dodge then Chevy so you have to grind out the centers on the wheels. Also the offset is way wrong for pre-'03 Rams. No doubt they would look cool but just not going to fix... if I was keeping them.

Go to know.

For what its worth im very happy with 285/75 16s AT Hankooks in E-rating.

ExpoMike

I have seen plenty of 2nd gens with the H2 rims..... been considering some myself to maybe resolve some rubbijg issues at lock....

Sent from my HTC Incredible

Interesting. Everything I have been reading has said that 2nd gens have like a 5" to 5.5" offset and I "think" the H2 wheels were 6.25". Also I could have sworn I read that the center bores were larger on the Dodge axles. Might have to try mounting the spare wheel to check that out.

EDIT: So I found this info on Pirate, "dodge has a 4.77" hub bore, gm has a 4.56" same bolt pattern otherwise. so you machine 0.21" from the total diameter (or 0.105" of material) "

I do not believe in modifying wheels in this way. I am sure others have done it with no problems but I am not going to be one of them. That said, here's a pic from the Pirate thread. They do look sweet!!!

click

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
3rd gen dodge wheels are 6.13" backspacing for the aluminum versions
H2 wheel are 5.5" backspacing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste