Our Dual-Sport GMC Sierra

chaos616

Adventurer
Hey Chilli, Thanks!

I'll have to catch up on your thread soon, been falling behind on a couple people's lately, also havn't been over on GMC4x4 for a while either.

Cheers,

chaos616

Adventurer
Chilli,

Really? I see people posting, seems like its up and running, but i may have missed a lot in the past 2 months.

amgvr4

Adventurer
Hey man, just checking in to see what your thoughts are on the BFGs you have been running on your truck. I need another set and I am torn between the MTRs and the Baja TAs. The 90% tread MTRs I got are worn out now and I had two get splits in the inside sidewalls after all the abuse I put them through so I will probably go with some 98% ones this time around to get them before the rubber is age hardened. The price is the same for both, but the sidewalls on the BFGs seems a bit unprotected to me. You wheel in a lot of rocks so I figured you would have a good idea of how tough they can be when abused. Thanks for the feedback!

chaos616

Adventurer
Hey amg, long time. Yeah, i like them, i really chose them because they are supposed to have the largest OD of all the tires, but also i thought they would have good highway manners as we unfortunately have to do much highway out west here just to get anywhere.

I really can't compare to any other used military tire, but i am on my second set of BFG Baja's and they seem to be fine. I had 1 on the first set get an air bubble, took it off and about 1 week later it actually blew up, and by blew up i mean split the whole tire treading right off the carcass. The tread seems to hold up plenty fine considering the sharp rocks and heavy loading on them.

As far as the sidewalls, i have yet to have a sidewall puncture, but i usually keeps them at least 30 PSI, although on occasion have had to go lower for weight distribution, like sand. I have definitely put the sidewall on sharpish rocks and they just seem to deflect right off, they get scuffed but no tears or rips what-so-ever. They do tend to get pretty warm when running low pressure fast though, i partially chock that up to the fact that i run the E rated 10 ply tires with 3 ply sidewall, but also because thats just hard on any tire. And honestly the tire i had blow up (or bulge when it was on the truck) did so after our rally weekend where we were running 25-35 PSI all weekend and did some long highway section runs at 70 mph, i couldn't let the G-Wagon show me up...

These tires seem to balance well as well. The trick that i used was to completely clean out the grease, then run dynabeads in the tires, worked like a champ. The seconds set i didn't clean out the grease and they are a bit more shaky. Specifically 1 of the tires is pretty bad, i may just get some weights and put them on the inside of the rims.

Cheers,

chaos616

Adventurer
Chilli!,

Hope you had a great christmas this year, and there isn't much to report. I'm always on the lookout for extra parts like np205 t cases and 2wd tailhousings for nv4500's and such, but I think the next big development will be switching some of my ballistic fabrication joints out for more solid pieces, although more solid can be more expensive too... Also thinking of doing new link, raising my rear link lower mounts and swapping to a "3-link radius arm" suspension, where my original 3rd link will instead of attaching to the frame, attach to the lower passenger side arm. I'm going for more stability and better pinion angle control as well.

Ohh well well see what spring 2016 has in store, happy new year everyone!!!

Cheers,

chaos616

Adventurer
Actually one big development has been that i'm swapping in a 5.3L vortec 2004 motor into a 88 jimmy for a buddy. Its going pretty well, just trying to get wiring sorted out now and the kick-down/pressure control cable connection from the 700r4 to the vortec motor throttle body control. So far it should be an awesome rig, way more power, cleaner power than the 350 which was in real bad shape, and easy cold starting etc...

So i guess thats kind of exciting...i am developing a serious love/hate relationship with wiring, i love what it and a few volts of electricity can do, but i hate that it can be so complex and such a pain sometimes.

Cheers,

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Chilli!,

Hope you had a great christmas this year, and there isn't much to report. I'm always on the lookout for extra parts like np205 t cases and 2wd tailhousings for nv4500's and such, but I think the next big development will be switching some of my ballistic fabrication joints out for more solid pieces, although more solid can be more expensive too... Also thinking of doing new link, raising my rear link lower mounts and swapping to a "3-link radius arm" suspension, where my original 3rd link will instead of attaching to the frame, attach to the lower passenger side arm. I'm going for more stability and better pinion angle control as well.

Ohh well well see what spring 2016 has in store, happy new year everyone!!!

Cheers,

Well it should be interesting to see what you get up to. Post some pics when you get a chance. Cheers, Chilli..:wings:

chaos616

Adventurer
Hey Chilli, well here are some pictures you'll really appreciate!

So, i haven't worked much on the big GMC because i've had a little side project...the little GMC

The truck is an 88' GMC Jimmy, blacked out (not great paint job) cool grill and some black 15" rims with 33" tires. Has stock corporate 10 bolt front and rear axles, and had a 350 TBI (converted to carburetor...why), 700R4 transmission mated to an NP208 transfer case. Drivelines are fine (back could use some U-joints.

Body is in great shape minus 3 dents, a larger one on the passenger side behind the door, a tiny one on the front left clip, and a rear driver side quarter panel beat up by a flat tire (not my flat).

frame is good, no cracks by steering box, hardly and rust, and only surface where there is and it seems pretty straight.

Steering could use a few ball joints and both axles could use a good lube up and quick inspection rebuild (I will be checking the front hubs and doing a fluid swap on the rear axle).

Story is that i had this truck, took it on a trade (traded a 96 KLR650 dual sport motorcycle) and the 350 had some work done by the PO. Mostly head gaskets, well it sipped on oil like a glass of wine and ate coolant like i eat cheetos (I know, i have a problem). It also like to spatter anyone coming near it with oil/coolant smoke, and oil leaking from...everywhere? Long story short, it was one of the worst engines i had seen in a while...but not so bad that it didn't run. Someone had ripped off the TBI, and i mean ripped because it seemed like it had mostly been taken off with some lineman's pliers and some bolt cutters, there could have been a wrench involved...but i doubt it. The inside of the truck, while a bit musty, was ok, although just based on my opinion, the stock seats would be trashed and some nice ones installed. Temp gauge is janky, but works, and like all the trucks of these years, it has an unreasonably large fuel gauge and no tach.

From what i can tell, the 700R4 is in decent shape, it shifts a bit hard these days (and yes I hooked up the TV cable geometry perfect from the factory specs, I didn't yet get a picture of the bracket i made but its...awesome). Seems to hold fluid fine and fluid smells good so far. The transfer case was replaced by PO, the old one didn't shift well, i'm guessing the shifting fork wore out and it shifted difficultly, well the PO equated that to broken and did a pick n pull swap, picked the new one cause it was the cleanest...outside, but it seems to work, although shifts a bit hard too.

So i sell this truck to a buddy/co-worker of mine (also the PO is coworker). I sold it under the impression that we would re-power, and i would help but he would pay for it all. So far so good, he owes me a bit on it but it's not quite done/delivered yet.

So we swapped in a 5.3L Vortec out of a 2004 Tahoe with a DBC throttle body, stock headers, and PSI wiring harness and tuned ECM. The engine is in fine shape, got 90k on it??? can't remember, water pumps bearings a little noisy, but the new owner can swap that on his own. The truck came with and A/C compressor (which doesn't fit in the jimmy frame rails by the way), but no steering pump, alternator, or associated bracket. We ended up with a corvette steering pump and alternator bracket, and the associated parts, we offset if by 1.5" to make up for the difference between the LS and Vortec Engines. The only bad part about this setup is 1, that corvette steering pump = $$$$$$$$$$, and 2 the an fittings i used for the pressure pump line had to be shaved to fit with the pully, otherwise great. We didn't hook up the A/C yet, but well get there later. Also PSI makes great and simple wiring harnesses, helps with conversions and hookups.

Ok so here are some pictures of the almost completed swap, have some things to finish up before its done but it runs and its awesome.

I made a new TV cable bracket, much nicer than my attempted welded on little tab thingy.

So we used the stock radiator, plugged the smaller steam line hold, ran the steam lines into the water pump (done by seller of engine) and put on electric 14" fans, on on high circut and 1 on low, only 1 has come on so far. Also built the exhaust so it runs true dual to the outside of the frame and dumps before the tires, full exhaust with cat's and muffler.

So far its super fast and runs super smooth. Transmission seems happy, starts like a champ, and sounds good, its certainly loud under heavy throttle but not bad otherwise, no more so than the crappy 350. So far it also seems to only sip fuel, which is good, the 350 got about 4 mpg, this is probably near 20. I'll try to get more pictures soon.

Cheers,

Last edited:

chaos616

Adventurer
hey bushcoat

Yeah, unfortunately I only get to drive it until the owner claims it and brings it back up to Washington state, but if anyone is up there in Pullman see's it driving around thats where it will eventually be. He's got a cool idea of basically gutting the inside and doing it up nicer, and then building a platform in the back to store/be able to sleep there as he will be doing lots of field work for his studies that are mostly in Nevada. Should be awesome when finished.

Cheers,

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow:Wow1:Chaos, what a cool build. That truck must scream with all that power in such a little rig. Nice work!:drool: You obviously know your stuff. Now you have time to work on your own rig! Cheers, Chilli.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior