Our Dual-Sport GMC Sierra

chaos616

Adventurer
Alright, no post for a while, unfortunately we don't have pictures for this one just yet.

We picked up some steel in Reno to build our winch mount, we will go with the hitch mounted system for the time being or until someone sells me another winch for cheap, then we can have one permanent on each end. We will be using 1/4" plate and 1/4" thick tube for both receiver and mount. Should be beefy enough, probably heavy enough too. We will also (with the 1/4" plate leftover) start work on a rear steel bumper with mounting points and all, may also incorporate a swing away tire rack for it, although we use our truck ALOT, so we don't know if thats the best option now unless we can make one to swing down too for tailgate use.

If anyone has ideas for rear bumpers and attachments please don't hesitate to put in your .02 cents or a dollars worth, pics are cool if ya got em. We are just thinking for now, nothing has been fabricated yet.

Cheers,

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Hey thanks locrwln, its kind of funny because we lived in Northern Minnesota for 24 years and 23 years respectively, and neither of us had ever been involved in a collision with an animal, driving or not... I figure with the higher speeds and less overall light around it makes for a dangerous scenario. My next purchase is lights, but I am currently looking for high end lights used to save some coin, well see. Also I plan on a front locker eventually, how do you like yours now that you have spent some time with it, useful or was essentially an expensive toy?

Cheers,

I have used it several times and I think that while I could have made it without, it was much easier and easier on the truck to have the front locker. Just make sure if you decide that you want one, get it done before you upgrade any steering parts. You have to remove the steering to get the front diff out. That meant that I installed my steering (Kryptonite), drove it for a while, bought the locker and had to remove everything again to get the diff out. So far it has worked flawlessly.

Jack

chaos616

Adventurer
Hey locrwin, thanks for the info about the locker. If we get a chance to get a cheap locker or a deal on something we might go for it :elkgrin:

chaos616

Adventurer
Awhile since the last post, but since then we have been progressing on a few projects, one being the front ARB hitch receiver and winch mount, and the other being a CB radio. We just found out about a rally that takes place near Lovelock (about 1 hour drive from where we live). One of the requirements for the rally is to have a CB radio.

We ended up picking up a free Cobra 25 LTD CB radio, a little old but still kickin. So we decided to mount the radio today in the truck. At first we couldn't decide where to mount the radio, but finally decided to mount it in the center console where a storage pocket had previously been. We figured we could loose the storage to mount a cool CB.

First thing was to cut apart the storage space to fit the radio, this involved trimming not only the actual storage pocket, but also the center console plastics where it mounted in to. We wanted a clean install look so the cutting was required, we don't have a warranty anymore anyway, so what the heck.

Storage pocket cut out on the bottom, notched in the front, and split on the top to allow enough space for the CB to fit:
DSC_0258.jpg

I would add more pictures, but none were taken during the process of cutting, but basically we would heat up a razor blade and it would slice through the fairly thick plastic like butter. This was also done on the center console, again no pictures, sorry, if we get a chance later we will take some and post.

After all the slicing and dicing, the CB fit almost perfectly into the old storage slot, so well that for now it will not be bolted in. It actually holds it quite tightly, so much so that it requires some effort to pull from the storage space, but takes only a bit of effort to push into place...almost like it was designed for it:
DSC_0259.jpg

Also we didn't like the small spaces on either side of the radio because the storage pocket was a bit wider than the radio, so we fabricated a cover that would fill in everything but the radio:
DSC_0254.jpg

It was built from 1/4" ABS plastic that I ordered in a 2'x2' sheet. Its textured on one side and smooth on the other. It can be difficult to cut, but with some heat it cuts much easier and is moldable, so if need be can be bent, twisted, etc... We used it to build a dash for one of our KTM adventure bikes and so far it has been great. The only problem with lots o heat, is that the plastic can become...not so pretty anymore. To correct this we used some of the material that we had for upholstering motorcycle seats to cover the plate. We picked a camel colored suede because it was different and we thought it looked cool...you can decide. Brittany thinks its just plain retro and a good contrast. We used 3M Foam Fast 74 orange spray adhesive because we had some and we use it a lot in upholstery for foam. It sticks faux suede to plastic quite well.

This pictures shows the CB in the storage space with the plate:
DSC_0262.jpg

And finally installed in the truck, sans mounting bolts for plate and a place to hold the mic:
DSC_0266.jpg

DSC_0272.jpg

For our ARB receiver mount, the plates are all cut out (it takes a long time to cut through 1/4" plate steel with a 4.5" angle grinder and numerous cut-off wheels) and they just need to be welded, we'll probably work on that next weekend and try to get it put together.

Cheers,

Last edited:

cowboy63645

Adventurer
Great looking build so far. I am building a similar truck, only its a 2007 classic crew cab short bed 1500. I like where you mounted the CB, easy to get to if need be and takes up no "knee space". I will have to keep this in mind when I mount mine. How do you like the bumper so far? Any complaints?

chaos616

Adventurer
hey cowboy63645, Thanks for the compliments. As usual its a project so its never done, its getting there though. Do you have a build thread for yours? If so we would like to view. Exactly with the knee space, i am 6'4" and she is 5'10" so knee space is important to us...me..., I do like how the cb location turned out, it will be better when its finally hooked up, hopefully this weekend. I do in fact like the bumper, the reason i really chose it was due to the great grill and light protection via the middle cross bar. It defintily moves independent of the cab a little, but so far there are no annoying loud vibrations and its quite stout. I took my high lift and lifted the whole front right corner of the truck off the ground, and although there was a little deflection i.e. the bumper lifted a bit in comparison to the grill surround, when i set it back down it went back to normal. I think buckstop or any other brand that makes GMC bumpers are good, i just liked this one and it was available easily at the time.

We have a M8274 winch that obviously does not fit in the bumper (or any other bumper), but I will mount it on a hitch receiver, it should be good. I will be building a rear bumper modeled after the looks of the ARB to match for myself at some point in the near future. I plan on mounting an on board air system in the winch space with a compressor and a tank and the air outlets behind the upright tubes on the top of the bumper to protect them from getting knocked off.

Cheers,

Last edited:

chaos616

Adventurer
Hey cowboy63645, i do have some updates, i guess i am a little slow with the forum kinda thing, right now i am thinking up a rear tire carrier that would lower and raise with the tailgate with assistance from some hydraulic rams, like what they put on hoods and rear hatches. I am also thinking about some mounts for my traction boards and high lift jack. I am trying to get ready for the NVTR (Nevada Trophy) for 2013 if they have it because i think it would be fun, but i have a little work to do.

Cheers,

chaos616

Adventurer
The last project which was completed is the winch mount. I picked up a Warn M8274 from 1980 that Brittany's boss had lying around. It required a new seal kit, new bushings, and the main shaft (with the brake on it) had all the gears sheared off, a weak point in the winch. The winch cost about 100 dollars and the rebuild was another 230, so it was 330 dollars total for the rebuild and the winch works fantastic.

The plan was to do a receiver mount so that we could winch from front or rear depending on what was needed, many times the small mountain trails here in Nevada don't allow for turning around easily, so to be able to winch the vehicle backwards or someone from behind i thought would be useful.

The first thing to build was the receiver mount for the ARB bumper, they don't come on the bumper and we wanted something beefy so we came up with this:
DSC_0291.jpg

DSC_0292.jpg
It is very basic, made from receiver tubing 1/4" wall, and 1/4" thick steel plate, the main plate acts as a mount and the gussets proved a lot of strength on the receiver tube for up down and sideways pulling. We have already pulled my 6500+ pound truck sideways with zero deflection.

The next step was to build the receiver mount, sorry no build pictures, but here it is completed before it is slid into position all the way:
DSC_0295.jpg
And slid into position:
DSC_0299.jpg
It is built with hitch tubing 1/4" thick wall and 1/4" steel plate. Since the M8274 is foot forward, we built up the front plate and put gussets on, there are also gussets on the bottom for side loading strength and so the bottom plate does not deflect even under straight pull. Thus far there has been no effects on the setup as far as movement, However, the winch and mount is probably about 140 lbs. Its HEAVY, I can lift it and move it around, but two people makes it much easier.

Last edited:

chaos616

Adventurer
As for the hitch pin we used a locking hitch pin so that no one can steal the winch, at least without putting up a serious fight.
DSC_0297.jpg
And for the electrical we used a 350A rated Anderson Power Pole type connector, so far there have been zero issues with this type of connection.
DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg
The power poles slide together and apart fairly easily which really aids removal of the winch. We also put water boots on them mostly for dust and rocks and such.

So now there there was a good connection to the winch and it was mounted it was time for some power upgrades on the vehicle. this consisted of 27' of 1/O cable, both red and black, an optima yellow top deep cycle starting battery and a really really heavy duty marine switch.

Here is the general underhood layout as of now:
DSC_0302.jpg

Basically I have the power from the alternator running into a battery isolator rated at 200A (for future alternator upgrades), and that splits the power to the two batteries:
DSC_0301.jpg
The regular battery receives power from 1 post of the isolator and is also the post that has the sensor wire for the weird sensed GM alternator. The second battery, the optima, receives power from the other post. This way both batteries constantly charge as needed and while just driving and there is no issues with the batteries trying to auto level each other and draining. The other benefit is that I can jump myself if needed when my regular battery runs down.

Disclaimer: the reason for the optima yellow top over a cheaper regular flooded, and a bigger capacity, battery is that this was the only size that fit in the space provided, for some reason the optimas are much smaller and thus suited our needs well. It was expensive though...

The Optima sends power through a 1/O cable to a large marine switch capable of sustained 600+A or 1257A for 10 seconds, plenty for what we need.
DSC_0303.jpg
We purchased the two position switch because we wanted power to the rear and front of the vehicle and didn't want the power cables to be charged at all times. Thus we can select 1 for front, 2 for rear, or 1&2 for both...maybe if we get another winch we can then winch at the same time...

Ultimately the setup added some weight to the front, although most of the weight is in the winch itself and since that can be removed for highway driving and such to reduce the weight on the front suspension.
DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0305.jpg
Also the winch does stick out the front of the truck a ways, but its not really been an issue thus far.

chaos616

Adventurer
Finally to wrap some things up, when the original bumper came off, it took the fog lights with it, the ARB didn't have a fog light option, so we finally purchased these cheap lights as we figured if they got eaten by a sagebrush or rock, no real loss:
DSC_0293.jpg

Also, some time ago we aquired a truxedo cover for a dodge that we made fit via a giant piece of steel that i also tie my motorbikes up to occasionally. Thing is, some 5 or 6 months ago, we were heading from Reno to Carson City and the wind in the valley area was at least 80 mph, we saw 2 semi trucks on their sides in the area. Needless to say it ripped the cover off of the back mount and broke a couple other things.

We finally repaired the cover by cutting back some of the destroyed material where the original track piece sat and sewed it up further to sit on top of the aluminum bar in the back. We then took aluminum flat stock and drilled and riveted it on to the original aluminum piece via aluminum rivets. Thus we could latch it back together and have our cover back:
DSC_0307.jpg

DSC_0308.jpg

DSC_0309.jpg
It holds pretty snug and I also widened out the rear side of the rails so that more velcro would catch on the sides and it wouldn't allow air under.

Cheers,

cowboy63645

Adventurer
Looks great, and you got a killer deal on the winch. That thing will last a lifetime!
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

chaos616

Adventurer
I think it will too, its funny because when we first got the winch, we both thought it was a little dated and a bit old school, then we did our research on it. Even crappy ones go for a lot of money, and since they are rebuildable so easily no wonder they're so popular.

Also I finally got power run to the rear of the truck today, 20' of 1/O cable and some grounding cables, everything is ground to the frame for the best circut. It may not prove to have been worth the money, however if I get a good deal on a winch later, i may do permanent mount front and rear winch, time will tell. Pictures to come, although its not too exciting.

Cheers,

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Chaos616, great project and write up. Where's the Bug-eye? Is that a '60, looks like my old one, wish I had it back! Keep it coming.

chaos616

Adventurer
Hey Ozarker Thanks!

As an update, I am in the process of building a headache/roof rack that will hold spare tire, hi-lift, and traction boards along with some extra lights. I will update with pictures a bit later on, been pushing to get it done as I don't have many weekends left until the Nevada Trophy Rally coming up (although they have pushed back the date to Nov.1 starting date.

Cheers, pics to come soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz