Crossing oz south to north in a stock fg637

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Hi guys just looking for some opinions, will I be permanently crippled, will I cook from the heat and will the engine expire trying to do 3000rpm for 30 hrs.

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Board Express

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I think that he is worried about his vertebrae going out of alignment and his fillings being shaken loose. ;)

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
I think you hit the nail on the head ski freak but I'm also concerned about realistic travel speeds on 7.50 tyres

Amesz00

Adventurer
Nar they seem to love it.. tour operators have been running them flat strap all day, every day for decades. They all get hundreds of thou of kms out of them too.

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
I just get nervous with the needle hovering in the red at 100.

Thespoon

Observer
Hi guys just looking for some opinions, will I be permanently crippled, will I cook from the heat and will the engine expire trying to do 3000rpm for 30 hrs.

Maybe yes to all:Wow1:

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Thanks thespoon that's not what I wanted to hear. I've done about 50k in the truck since I've had it and mostly on windy bumpy roads on the southern fleurieu and I'm still here. Might pay to get the front springs reset and some new shocks. Did you reset your springs Alan, did it improve things?

alan

Explorer
Thanks thespoon that's not what I wanted to hear. I've done about 50k in the truck since I've had it and mostly on windy bumpy roads on the southern fleurieu and I'm still here. Might pay to get the front springs reset and some new shocks. Did you reset your springs Alan, did it improve things?

Mine has coil springs on the front, but I'm sure if you had your front leaf springs reset with 40-50mm more curve you would be amazed at the difference, instead of hitting the bump stops the springs will get a chance to soak up bumps first, the reset will last a couple of years but at least it will give you an idea of what can be done.

blackduck

Explorer
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/72148-on-the-road-again

Tonka
Follow in the footsteps of the well travelled
weve just done Perth Darwin & return in a stock truck towing a great lump of a van
No problem
sure it wont be as comfortable as a truck with thousands of dollars of suspension mods
and you might not be going as fast as the rest of the traffic
but youll get there and back and all stops in between
on 7.50's my speedo is out just under 10% and I travel at about 90Kph (speedo) or 2600 RPM
yes I was being passed by road trains but guess what I still got to where I was going
also managed thousands of K's on corrugated dirt no problem and survived
a well serviced truck and an ounce of common sense and a stock canter will just about do anything

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Cheers Alan I've had a quote from industrial springs in Adelaide for $250 to reset both springs which sounds cheap.

Thanks Stu I think I've spent a bit long daydreaming here on expo and have lost faith in what these vehicles are capable of stock.

I wish I had the $$$ to drop the truck at ATW and let them go nuts but at the moment budget mods are the order of the day.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I've had a quote from industrial springs in Adelaide for $250 to reset both springs which sounds cheap.
Their price is probably cheap because they are a spring manufacturer and have everything required to do the job. I am guessing that this would be a no brainer for them.
I have dealt with Industrial Springs myself and they did right by me...

alan

Explorer
Thats a good price, is that with you taking the springs out and refitting or them? i would also make sure they are resetting them in the furnace and not in the press.

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
That the price for me taking them out, I'll have to check if they heat treat them. Might be a good time to splash out on a new set of shocks, any recommendations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles