Andy's M416 Rehab

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I agree with Mark, it is easier to do the receiver while the tub is off. If you plan on anything heavier than a bike rack, the receiver and back of frame will need beefing up.

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Stripped the frame down. Finally had some bolt issues, 3 of the 4 bump stop bolts broke as they were seized by rust. Looks my spring bushings are still in good shape too. POR prepped the frame and PORed it.

DSCF4252.jpgDSCF4253.jpg
DSCF4254.jpg

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Today was axle teardown and oh boy what a surprize. Apparently no one had ever serviced it since overhaul in '79! Now I know what the scraping noise was from as I pulled into the driveway from my trip to buy it. The first hub cap removal revealed greaseless, rusty, loose spindle nuts. When I pulled the hub off, the outer bearing came out in pieces with it's inner race staying behind. The other side had some grease still, but not in any recognizable condition. So new bearings and seals are in order. I then stripped and POR prepped it.

DSCF4255.jpgDSCF4256.jpg
DSCF4257.jpgDSCF4258.jpg

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Got the bearings and seals ordered locally for cheap thanks to my neighbor. Got everything but the springs and shackles stripped for POR. I'm just gonna rattle can the springs, shackles and drums black. No pics today.

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Everything is now PORed and ready for install except tub as it's raining too much to strip outside. Tomorrow I'll rattlecan the hubs and springs and strip the tub if not raining. The bearings are awaiting pick up and shackles hangers are on order.

DSCF4266.jpg

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Got the tub prepped and PORed. A one quart can will do one coat on a M416 frame, tub and pieces and not one inch more. I had to order shackles as mine are a little bent, bushings are cracked and cups are rusty. All parts should come in by next week then assembly.

DSCF4267.jpgDSCF4268.jpg

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Assembly has started! Got the axle put together and installed the shock mounts. Went down to the steel yard and got my new tongue tube, bumpstop extensions, and rear hitch tube.

DSCF4269.jpgDSCF4270.jpg
DSCF4271.jpgDSCF4272.jpg
DSCF4273.jpg

BADDANDY

Adventurer
I am here by burnt out on drilling holes in the new tongue and bumpstop extensions. I only had to widen 2 and drill 2 new holes in the frame though. I screwed up and got seamed hitch bar, so that will have to be rebought. I need to get a little can of POR to do the new steel. Spring mounts are due to arrive tomorrow and I have to reorder shackles as JC Whitney called today to tell me they refunded my money as they're out-of-stock.

DSCF4274.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I realy like the tongue extention you made. The added length will be useful for storage and backing up.

Just for the record....I hate JC Whitney!

I have ordered so many items from them over the phone, Told they were in stock and get a post card a week later saying they don't have them.

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Just for the record....I hate JC Whitney! I have ordered so many items from them over the phone, Told they were in stock and get a post card a week later saying they don't have them.

I bought them thru e-bay, so they were jumping thru hoops the next day, 1 phone call and 5 e-mails from them, e-bay, and paypal! At least the springs hangers weren't. Should be here today.

BADDANDY

Adventurer
New 2" less drop mounts came in. Need to decide whether to drill aome holes in the mounts, frame, or both. Trailer won't sit so high with the SOA now!

DSCF4276.jpgDSCF4275.jpg

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Yippie Kai Yah! The final reassembly has begun after drilling new holes for the spring mounts into the frame and PORing the rails, bumpstops extensions and a the safety chain parts.

Installed rails and spring mounts.
DSCF4277.jpg

Last edited:

Wallygator

Adventurer
Wow looking great. Got any part numbers for the new parts you had to order through JC? Or are they easy to find and order from? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94