Andy's M416 Rehab

BADDANDY

Adventurer
About me. As I'm at the end of my post-divorce with one daughter graduating college soon, and the other starting, I figured it was time for a camping lifestyle change. What cemented this was replacing my trail Jeep TJ with a new 2 door JK. The JK is awesome compared to the old Jeep. I always refer to my truck as my Cadillac, but not anymore. Even with the lift and 35's, it rides so much nicer than the truck, and it's got power and highway manners. So, out with the truck and camper, and in with the JK, a Jeep trailer, and if I can find one, a Neon tent trailer. I still have a little Haulin flatbed for the enduro.
About the M416. I bought it from RRDirtyHarry when he had to unload it to pay for a vehicle emergency during his move. Lucky for us both was that I just sold my camper so had the funds to help him out. And for me, I just started looking for a Jeep trailer, so this was a win-win. He was only 250 miles into his drive when his engine blew. I contacted some friends near there, but they were unable to find an engine, so I hit the road the next morning. It was a not so fun drive with a major storm hitting the state. 1st 50 mph winds on the drive home across the desert and then near Blizzard conditions across the pass followed with torrential rain until nightfall. Whew, I was nackered by the time I got home. 12 hour trip!
The plan. The trailer is in pretty decent shape. Tear it down. Inspect hub bearings. Straighten the rails and hammer out the dents. Sand/strip down to a paintable surface. Paint/POR 15 the frame. Weld up about 50 bolt holes in the bed. Rattle can the bedwalls red/floor POR15. I'm not sure if it's gonna stay SOA, go back SUA, w/wo lift springs, or what size tires. Wider fenders. Extend the frame, not sure what direction on that yet. And finally, build a flat top out of plywood, metal edges, camper tape,marine grade vinyl, and some mounts for my tentcot.

This pic shows what it looked like on the drive home. That shell acted like a dragchute in those winds, and the trailer sits too high with a SOA/33s.

72462_4938814140756_2118326475_n[1].jpg

Finally, a week later and good weather. Start of teardown.

DSCF4217.jpg

3 piles, front to rear, what's not going back on, trash, possible replace/reuse.

DSCF4219.jpg

Oops, more parts for the recycler. Rails and walls now all straight and dents pounded out. I used a BFH for the big stuff and a highlift jack to straighten the rails. Next step will be bed off the frame and stripping, then paint.

DSCF4225.jpg

Last edited:

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Oh, you can count on selling the leftovers after the project is completed. CL is my saviour and my curse. Wouldn't want it either way. I don't sell on e-bay.

BADDANDY

Adventurer
I have all the stock parts that are in working order. The only thing I need to buy are wider fenders and wood and stuff for a lid. I bought shocks yesterday.

BADDANDY

Adventurer
I bought a 90 amp mig welder at HF to weld up some bolt and rivet holes in the tub and to make a tongue extension with. So today I stripped/sanded down the paint on the rear panel and welded up a crack in the left channel and 4 holes the PO drilled for a jerrycan. I had to use JB weld to fill in minute swisscheese holes in my welds and I just JBed the rivet holes.
After the body work and before the welding;

DSCF4227.jpg

After the welding/JB;

DSCF4228.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF4227.jpg
    DSCF4227.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Got some things done in between rain showers today.

Primed and painted the rear panel:

DSCF4229.jpg
DSCF4230.jpg

Welded in 3 holes;

DSCF4231.jpg

Grinded, sanded, primed and painted the right side;

DSCF4232.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
SWEET, Love the RED!

The spots turned out well and the panel is smooth. Looks great!

Did you find fenders yet?

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Thanks guys. It looks better in pics than actuality, but I'm doing this on the cheap. No wonder some people paint them matte black as that color hides so much imperfections. I'm waiting to finish the paint/POR and final tire size to look for fenders. I did order a new pintle hitch and adj mount so may keep the SOA.

BADDANDY

Adventurer
The outside walls are all red now. Too bad my Jeep isn't primer colored as every imperfection shows in red. Still 10 times better than what it was. One thing I learned today, if you bolt something to the walls, you better be using backing plates. After sanding down the holes where someone drilled holes and mounted a highlift, I found 2 holes w/4 cracks each. So out came the drill and welder. These turned out better, so I must be improving in my welding. My hitch mount came in. I got the one with the most adjustment until I figure out what tires I'll use, but I'm staying SOA. Hopefully I'll be able to cut off the top 2 holes so I can open the tailgate. So far it looks like I can.

DSCF4233.jpgDSCF4234.jpg
DSCF4235.jpgDSCF4237.jpg
DSCF4238.jpgDSCF4239.jpg
DSCF4240.jpgDSCF4241.jpg

Last edited:

BADDANDY

Adventurer
A full 8 hours today. Seperated the bed and went to town. Beat out the floor as best I could, straighted the lips and support plates, then ground down the bottom of the floor. Oh, and had to reweld one of the bolt holes again as I apparently didn't do it good enough and blew out when I pounded on it. Took a break from that and removed leaky shocks and bent shock mounts. Then grinded the top frame rails, and straightened top rails and the sides where the skock mounts are bolted to. After lunch, I washed, then prepped, then PORed the floor. The silver in the 3rd pic is where the prep attacked the rust, this is also where the really big dents where.

DSCF4242.jpgDSCF4243.jpg
DSCF4244.jpgDSCF4245.jpg

Last edited:

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Today was weld the holes up that I created when cutting off the lift hoops. 3 in the rear and one in the front. My welding is improving as I didn't use plugs on these and they turned out better than the ones I did with plugs. I also included a pic of the tub where the POR seeped thru those previous welds. I bad, 1 a little, and 1 barely any. I'm gonna stay SOA, but get some CJ3B spring perches to lower the trailer 2 inches. Oh, I put all my hardware in a tub with the POR prep and now they look like brand new.

DSCF4247.jpgDSCF4248.jpg
DSCF4249.jpgDSCF4250.jpg
DSCF4251.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94